2020 build challenge - wharf and cannery

Started by Mark Dalrymple, January 01, 2020, 06:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Hi guys.

Well - I've drawn up some plans for the fish elevator tower.  Thanks again for all the photos and information provided earlier in this thread.  I've kind of spliced ideas together to make something that works for my project.  It was hard to make out some of the finer details of the towers, but there appears to be a shaft, which typically seems not central.  I assume the fish are ladled through an open hatch at the bottom of this shaft and a belt system something like water wheel transports the fish vertically up the shaft where I guess they could be sorted and put onto horizontal belts to transport them to the canneries.  My design calls for two such horizontal belts, one transporting fish along the open walkway to the cannery being modeled at present, and one at right angles which will transverse the four yard tracks to a cannery towards the back of the layout.  This second belt system will be in an enclosed walkway which will double as a disguise for a mirror doubling the appearance of the yard - much like Great Divide on the G&D.  There also appears to be a small shed at the bottom of some of the shafts, which I will also model.

I was intending to build the model from weathered wood, unpainted, but as I used both sugar pine and basswood for stripwood (due to not having the sizes I needed in one or the other) I found they took the stain very differently.  So I changed my mind and will paint them.  Colours will be unbleached titanium for the trim, mud for the tower, oxide red for the covered walkway (and perhaps the shaft - otherwise mud) and big sky blue for the doors.

Photo 1 - shows two elevations of the tower.

Photo 2 - shows where I am with the tower build.

More soon, cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

Really enjoying this thread Mark.....excellent work.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Mark:

the water tank is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Karl