Riverbend Chapel by FOS

Started by ACL1504, September 06, 2020, 05:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I then cut two pieces to length for the wall "plugs".

These were glued in place with the glue being applied from the rear so no glue gets on the exterior wall face.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then added extra bracing to the end wall section.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used the template Doug provided with the kit and braced the walls. I added much more as you can see. Extra bracing in humid Florida is a safe bet.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Tomorrow I'll share my idea about the other addition. This is the side addition to the right of the chapel.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Seems to me I have less and less time to post these days. So, this is my tomorrow post from six days ago.

This kit has several different options if you are a kit basher like me. I've already modified the steeple and now I'm changing the side substructure as well.

Here is a look at the kit with the substructure on the right.

And, here is the kit without the addition.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

For a small country Southern Baptist Church, the smaller the better. So, I'm going with just the main church and steeple.

Back in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is a look at the chapel in the area I plan on it fitting. I definitely like the smaller version better.

The smaller chapel will also give me more room for the old cemetery. I purchased the additional cemetery fence and tombstones.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

In that space the smaller one looks better and there are huge amounts of one room wooden churches in the south.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

nycjeff

Tom, I agree with Curt, the smaller one looks better. Can't wait to see what you do in that space.   Jeff
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on September 16, 2020, 03:57:25 PM
In that space the smaller one looks better and there are huge amounts of one room wooden churches in the south.

Curt,

The single room church just seems to fit better. As I mentioned, it gives me more room to plant more tombstones of fallen church parishioners.  :-X

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: nycjeff on September 16, 2020, 06:06:20 PM
Tom, I agree with Curt, the smaller one looks better. Can't wait to see what you do in that space.   Jeff

Jeff,

I agree, the smaller structure looks and fits better here. As Curt mentioned, the south is littered with one room churches.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I decided to take a different approach to painting the walls, windows and door on this kit.

Normally, the windows and doors would be painted separately from the walls. Since the church windows are more card stock, I opted to try and paint them all at the same time. After they were installed in the opening that is.

I first stained the walls and windows with a light application of Hunterline Light Gray A&I. The A&I soaked right in the paper and then became very light when dry.

I didn't want to chance a second A&I wash as it may have turned out to dark.

I also applied the same light wash of A&I to the walls. I decided to not have any nail holes in the walls.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I removed the arched windows from the stock sprue and made a test fit in the opening.

These frames fit on the inside of the window opening, flush with the rear of the wall.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Most of the window frames were to loose to fit the opening without falling out. Here is how I solved the problem.

I applied a very tiny amount, tip of a tooth pick, of glue to the inside rear of the opening. I then placed a spare piece of wall section behind the opening and then placed the frame next to the glue.

I used a broken piece of 4X4 to press the window frame flush with the wall section. I then slid the spare wood piece off the interior side of the wall.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is a look at the window frame in place and flush with the interior side of the wall section.

I may add interior lights to the church and I wanted to see how the glued in frames blocked the light.

They didn't.

More in a few. Time for a Diet Pepsi. Back in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com