2020 Build Challenge - FOS Phone Booths

Started by ReadingBob, March 22, 2020, 11:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Okay.  Time to start my 2020 Build Challenge.  I needed to find a small kit I could complete before the deadline.  As fate would have it I had this one sitting on the corner of my workbench.  It's one I ordered back when Doug was running one of his free kit with orders of $50 or more.  I was trying to fill up my cart with odds given I didn't need any kits (that's blasphemy you say!).   :o

Here's the kit, still in it's package.  I can't find on the FOS website so it may no longer be available (or I simply didn't find it).  ???

And here are the kit contents.  :P

I started the build by carefully removing the parts from the carrier sheet using a single edged razor blade.

I used a medium sanding stick (I purchased a set of these at Hobby Lobby) to smooth the edges where the cuts were made.

A flat metal file was used to smooth the bottom of the telephone castings.

Then I taped a piece of masking tape upside down on an old baking sheet and stuck all the parts to the tape so I could spray them with a rattle can.  I primed them with Rustoleum Chalkboard Black (for a reason).

More in a moment... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

The reason I used the black paint to prime the parts was to experiment with a technique recommended in the instructions for Bar Mills Seckler's Cold Storage.  I stippled on the aluminum paint over the black allowing for a little of the black to show through.  Normally I'd paint them full strength aluminum and then give them a coat of AK Interactive Neutral Gray Wash to tone down the aluminum.  All the parts, except for the telephone themselves, were painted this way.

I then started gluing the sides together being careful to orient them so the correct side was facing out.  My Pink Flamingo glue is getting to old so I switched to Titebond.  I couldn't find Pink Flamingo glue on the Northeastern Scale Lumber website but they typically don't ship it in the winter months because it's susceptible to the cold.  That looks like a lot of glue but I'll take care of that.

The next step it remove the excess glues by drawing my finger along the front and back.  I keep a paper towel handy to wipe the glue off of my finger before handling anything else.

Then I put the part in place with its mate and used a square to make sure the edges were lined up.

Another small square keeps everything square until the glue sets.

You make two halves of the phone booth that way and when glue had set you can then glue the glass in place.  I used a very sparing amount of MicroScale Industries Micro Kristal Klear for glue.  If I screw up and use too much or get a smudge on the glass (acetate) where I don't it I remove the glass (acetate) and scrub it with q tip dipped in isopropyl rubbing alcohol to clean it off and start over again.

More in a moment... ;)   

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Next the glass gets carefully positioned in place.

I glued the telephone casting to the backboard with a little bit of medium ACC.

Then the shelf gets carefully glued into place.  This step was a little nerve wracking and required the Optivisor.  I used the Kristal Klear for this.

Then the backboard/phone get glued into place on top of the shelf.

The little TELEPHONE signs are cut out using a steel ruler and a sharp #11 X-Acto.

The TELEPHONE signs have to be trimmed to fit over the opening so that the word is centered.  A little bit of each edge will do it.

More in a moment... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

I used the tiniest bit of Kristal Klear at the end of each TELEPHONE sign to glue it into place.

The two halves were then glued together and then the floor and roof were glue in place.

And there you have.  Two Phone Booths.  I could pop the roof off one an put a figure on the phone inside I had one.  Maybe even light it up.  But for now they'll go on the shelf.

Does anybody know when these first started appearing?  I did a little research on line and think they're appropriate for the 60's but I'm not sure about the 50's.

I finally finished a Build Challenge by the deadline.  Even if I did cheat a little bit.   ;)

Thanks for reading!   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

tom.boyd.125

Bob,
Checked your build today, did not receive a ring no answer.
That seems very delicate to build but strong when assembled .
Phone booths have been around for 120 years but not sure how the styles were for different times.
Nice job !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Zephyrus52246

What's a phone booth?  ;D   Looks good, Bob.

Jeff

GPdemayo

Well done  8) .....and built at Greg speed.....glad someone is, I'm certainly not.  :-[
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PaulS

Very nice Bob, and quickly done as well .....    As if you were Superman, but then wouldn't you have needed the phone booth first ?..

Ah well, something to ponder.
Thanks for sharing, stay healthy and be well
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Opa George

Nice quick build with great results.  I searched for telephone booth images and found a library of photos at gettyimages.co.uk.  Dropped "telephone booth" into the search field and brought up quite a few images. Most have identifying dates.  I did see some from the mid-late 1950s in the style modeled above.   Older ones appeared to be in wood.
--Opa George

ReadingBob

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on March 22, 2020, 12:10:21 PM
Bob,
Checked your build today, did not receive a ring no answer.
That seems very delicate to build but strong when assembled .
Phone booths have been around for 120 years but not sure how the styles were for different times.
Nice job !
Tommy

Thanks Tommy.  We'll pick the phone next time it rings.   ;)  Yeah, I guess I should have included 'in this style' in my query.   :P
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: PRR Modeler on March 22, 2020, 03:15:21 PM
Nice job Bob.

Thanks Curt!  Sorry I didn't get down to visit the SBG last time you dropped in.  Not sure when the next will be with all that's going on these days.   :(
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: deemery on March 22, 2020, 04:23:41 PM
Of course, there's this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TARDIS

dave

Good one Dave!  Wrong side of the pond though.  Mike needs one of those for the wonderful layouts he builds.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on March 22, 2020, 05:49:51 PM
What's a phone booth?  ;D   Looks good, Bob.

Jeff

Great question Jeff!   ;D  They've gone the way of typewriters, mimeograph machines, etc.  Thanks!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net