I'm building a layout

Started by NEMMRRC, January 01, 2020, 07:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbvb

Congratulations and good luck.  The modular approach will help you get trains running (at least a little way) early on, which was important to me.

I use XTrackCAD, which is free, open source (I've contributed a little development work) and runs on Windows, Mac and Unix.  It has a learning curve, but AFAICT so do all the other layout design programs.

If you're aiming for WWII, only the big steam and full-length passenger cars will put your minimum radius to the test.  Pretty much everything RTR will go around 28" radius these days, but articulateds will look foolish and need a lot of clearance to adjacent tracks due to boiler overhang.  If you're sticking to 3' wide modules, you could use 48" radius at the corners.  If you go to 2' wide, then you're restricted to maybe 30".  Either way, it's not unreasonable to make the layout wider at corners.  One trick is to use multiple radii - a big easement entering the curve at each end and a sharper middle portion you hide with a building, cut or tunnel.
James

Jerry

Jaime definity use the 1/4 plywood under the 1" foam.

Even if you double up on the to 1' it will warp take my work for it.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

NEMMRRC

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 02, 2020, 07:42:47 PM
QuoteMy wife wanted 10 acres. Thank all that is holy and righteous we could not afford that...

See? - there is such a thing as too much money!

Cheers, Mark.
I still have 15 years left before the government will qualify me as of retirement age. Maybe I will make a few millions by that time lol...

Here is the reverse angle of the attic.

I'm standing as far back as I can go. The layout would fit in the area you see. Those two posts could disappear if a clever contractor could fashion some strong horizontal supports.

Notice my attic has an attic of its own. The HVAC and water heater for the second floor are found in the attic's attic.

Anyway, there is some layout room to the sides. Who knows what develops once I have the funds to finish this space.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: jerryrbeach on January 02, 2020, 08:35:15 PM
Jaime,

Two more things to keep in mind.  If you think you might be moving these modules from the basement...  A 36" wide module will not go through a 36" doorway even if you remove the door.  The door stop strips leave you with an opening of slightly over 35".  My modules are 30" wide and I designed them with separate leg assemblies so I can move them through a door by tipping them on their sides.   (This seemed like a necessity to me as several of the doors in my house are 28" wide.)   One other thing to think about is how to level the modules.  I added leg levers to the bottom of my legs.  Then again, I live in an old farm house that doesn't have a single level floor.
I will be cautious with the widths. I can always turn the modules on end and move then on their edge. I'd only be limited by the scenery on top then.

I'll be sure to support the foam also.

There sure is a lot to keep in mind with all this.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: jbvb on January 03, 2020, 10:54:16 AM
Congratulations and good luck.  The modular approach will help you get trains running (at least a little way) early on, which was important to me.

I use XTrackCAD, which is free, open source (I've contributed a little development work) and runs on Windows, Mac and Unix.  It has a learning curve, but AFAICT so do all the other layout design programs.

If you're aiming for WWII, only the big steam and full-length passenger cars will put your minimum radius to the test.  Pretty much everything RTR will go around 28" radius these days, but articulateds will look foolish and need a lot of clearance to adjacent tracks due to boiler overhang.  If you're sticking to 3' wide modules, you could use 48" radius at the corners.  If you go to 2' wide, then you're restricted to maybe 30".  Either way, it's not unreasonable to make the layout wider at corners.  One trick is to use multiple radii - a big easement entering the curve at each end and a sharper middle portion you hide with a building, cut or tunnel.
Thanks for the feedback. Eventually I'll need to design something in some software. I want to have the software calculate how much track I'll have to buy so I can take advantage of volume discounts  ;D

I was thinking about all this and if I double up on the 3 ft wide modules to turn a train I can have 6 ft to do that. If I can't turn a train inside of 6 ft then I'll just have to ditch that equipment lol.

Jaime

Mark Dalrymple

Thanks for the extra photo, Jaime.

It looks like a fantastic space!  And now that you have your 'small' block of land you can make as many millions as you like!  I fully insulated the room I converted in the barn I converted into my layout room - and it has made a huge difference!  I can easily compare by going in the uninsulated workshop next door.  Both in winter and summer the difference in temperature is quite staggering!

Really looking forward to your continuing progress.

Cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

The post you want to remove could be cut and sit on a built-up 2x or pre-engineered beam that could carry the load across the short width and attached to the existing posts and beams.

Please don't make any changes without getting a structural engineer to check out the situation and recommend what material and methods would be best.
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Rail and Tie

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 03, 2020, 07:09:05 PM
Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 02, 2020, 07:42:47 PM
QuoteMy wife wanted 10 acres. Thank all that is holy and righteous we could not afford that...

See? - there is such a thing as too much money!

Cheers, Mark.
I still have 15 years left before the government will qualify me as of retirement age. Maybe I will make a few millions by that time lol...

Here is the reverse angle of the attic.

I'm standing as far back as I can go. The layout would fit in the area you see. Those two posts could disappear if a clever contractor could fashion some strong horizontal supports.

Notice my attic has an attic of its own. The HVAC and water heater for the second floor are found in the attic's attic.

Anyway, there is some layout room to the sides. Who knows what develops once I have the funds to finish this space.

Jaime

What a fantastic space!  I can imagine a logging switchback mountain area on that angled wall to the right of the HVAC area. It would look just like Miniture Wunderland's version in Germany!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Janbouli

When did you decide to move to a wharehouse, you could build a tiny house in the attic , but maybe these are normal sizes where you live.
I love photo's, don't we all.

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Janbouli on January 04, 2020, 02:18:27 PM
When did you decide to move to a wharehouse, you could build a tiny house in the attic , but maybe these are normal sizes where you live.
Well, some of my neighbors' homes are larger than mine and some are smaller. In the area where we moved these are the typical homes. Elsewhere around it varies.

How does all that relate to trains? Well, when we went to the Seattle Narrow Gauge Convention, the layouts were housed in homes that make mine look like a tiny house. Why at one home layout there was a full-time staff of 4 people to manage the layout. That layout had over a dozen iPads scattered all over the layout to control the trains. So, we all model what we are able to. We must take it all into perspective....

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Rail and Tie on January 04, 2020, 12:54:55 PM

What a fantastic space!  I can imagine a logging switchback mountain area on that angled wall to the right of the HVAC area. It would look just like Miniture Wunderland's version in Germany!
I've not seen that scene. However, the very first Great Model Railroads annual from Model Railroader featured a logging layout in Japan that had a scene filled with switchbacks going up several feet above the layout's lowest elevation. It was most impressive.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: GPdemayo on January 04, 2020, 09:27:49 AM
The post you want to remove could be cut and sit on a built-up 2x or pre-engineered beam that could carry the load across the short width and attached to the existing posts and beams.

Please don't make any changes without getting a structural engineer to check out the situation and recommend what material and methods would be best.
I plan to hire out a reputable contractor to finish the attic space. Maybe I can trade him some out-of-production FSM kits for the work  ;D

Jaime

deemery

Don't trust the contractor to make engineering decisions, though.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Quote from: deemery on January 04, 2020, 04:29:07 PM
Don't trust the contractor to make engineering decisions, though.

dave

That's 100% right Dave.....that's why God created engineers.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

That is an intriguing space.  Sooooooo, you have decent access to be bringing up dimensional lumber and cut plywood sheets?
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond