Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Another little project, today - I made strip wood test samples for each of the Hunterline Stains in my stash.  I wanted a quick way to make color choices. I will just add new sample sticks as I add colors to my collection.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

The white roof on the pictures above really messed up my iPhone picture settings - the walls are no where near as dark as they appear in the pictures.  It will be interesting to see what the phone camera does once the roof is colored.
John Siekirk

deemery

John, stick a piece of white cardboard somewhere in the picture (next to the building, etc) next time.  Then you can use most photo correction software to set the "white balance" on that piece of card.

The problem is that cameras want by default to set the median color to 18% grey, if I remember my photo correction theory correctly.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 12, 2020, 12:23:45 PM
John, stick a piece of white cardboard somewhere in the picture (next to the building, etc) next time.  Then you can use most photo correction software to set the "white balance" on that piece of card.

The problem is that cameras want by default to set the median color to 18% grey, if I remember my photo correction theory correctly.

dave

Dave

Thank you for the tip.  Every once in a while the iPhones really find a way to mess up the exposer and they always tend to make colors brighter than reality. I usually post process my pictures to tone them down when I'm taking pictures of models.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

It's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the colors on this roof.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 13, 2020, 08:13:02 AM
Hey John:

It's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the colors on this roof.

Karl

Thank you Karl.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a little better picture of the stone part of the structure with the white metal roofing.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also got a good start on the shingles on the other part of the main structure.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I also got started on the LED lighting.  I'm installing an arc welding simulator in the stone building.

John Siekirk

Jerry

Very nice John.  The last picture the stonework is beautiful.
And the shingles aren't to shabby either!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery

I -really miss- the Paper Creek line.  I wish that had continued after the original owner/creator got sick.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on January 13, 2020, 11:17:06 AM
Very nice John.  The last picture the stonework is beautiful.
And the shingles aren't to shabby either!!

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you, I think it will all look better after the dry brushing and detailing, but I'm happy with it at this point.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on January 13, 2020, 12:39:20 PM
I -really miss- the Paper Creek line.  I wish that had continued after the original owner/creator got sick.

dave

Yes - another thing I wish I would have bought more of when I could.  I'm getting close to the end of my supply.
John Siekirk