Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

John, make sure you set the focus point (with your finger :-) ), you should see a yellow box and the exposure will adjust.  Or you can get an app that allows more precise control over the iPhone camera settings. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, John. 

The shingles on G. Willikers look really good.

Cheers, Mark.

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on September 17, 2020, 04:12:46 PM
John, make sure you set the focus point (with your finger :-) ), you should see a yellow box and the exposure will adjust.  Or you can get an app that allows more precise control over the iPhone camera settings. 

dave

Dave

Thank you for the tip - I will give it a try.  I touched the screen and got the yellow box so we are off to a good start.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on September 17, 2020, 07:00:47 PM
Looking good, John. 

The shingles on G. Willikers look really good.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the encouraging words.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the first barn side completed with the windows fixed.  The windows are just sitting in the openings. They will be heading for the paint booth and window glazing before I glue them in.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

My next barn side will be the end view with the lower level and cows and the opening to the upper level of the barn.  If you follow the directions from Dario's kit you will find that this end with the door opening is supposed to be towards the house. I wanted the door on this end for visibility of the interior of the barn.  Now that I can visualize the barn in 3-D I decided to make the door bigger.  I plan to cut the frame and open it up - using a scratch built sliding door modeled in the open position.  Don't be surprised if you see the same type of door added to the other end of the barn when we get there.  I really like the affect of looking through the barn.

You can see that I already started cutting before I remembered to take a before picture.  I also didn't bother removing the little pits of paper from the template drawings since they will all be covered by the siding. You can also see where I roughed in the stones on the edge of the foundation casting. I believe I put the casting in upside down so the nice stone edge is facing towards the inside of the barn. It's an easy fix with an #11 and some soft pastel chalk painting to get the colors to match the opposite side.  I like the look of the stone with the cast concrete foundation to the right.

John Siekirk

Jerry

John the barn wood looks great.  Just enough weathering to give it character.

Love those roof shingles.

In both cases great work.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on September 18, 2020, 09:05:22 AM
John the barn wood looks great.  Just enough weathering to give it character.

Love those roof shingles.

In both cases great work.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along and the encouragement. I'm putting more siding on the barn and just glued the cupola on the main building of G. Wiliker's this morning.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I tried the tip Dave gave me about the yellow box on my iPhone ( see posts above).  It did help with the lighting adjustments with the iPhone.  Thank you Dave.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

If you look at the coloring of the building the color differences are enhanced.  The whites are brighter and the greys darker than they are to my eyes.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is what the frame looked like for the upper level door when I completed the changes.  It only took a few minutes and I also modified the other end of the barn so you will be able to look through the upper level.  The main floor interior will be visible through the large main doors on the front of the barn. And the lower level with the cows will be visible through the open back of the lower level shown in this picture.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: The barn siding is going on the Whispering Fall's barn and the Shingles are going on the main building of G. Wiliker's - lots of activity but nothing new for pictures for a couple days.

The next step for the Whispering Fall's barn will be all the interior beams and loft flooring. G. Wilikers will be the roof cards and shingles for the side additions.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Beautiful job John...Dennis
Question my friend. John, I know you use glue for your track and roadbed and ballast. Can you tell me what strength for the each of them please? Thanks Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)