Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on August 22, 2020, 09:02:17 AM
Hey Tom:

Nice looking Gon. Thanks for sharing.

Karl

Karl,

You are very welcome and thank you for posting.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Today the Judge and I shot this video of the Crescent Limited on the Atlantic and Southern RR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFNePqLmB3I&t=2s

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

RWL

Tom,

The other board member of the A&S reported a problem with motive power. I am well aware of BLI's frame swelling, I had a few that were problematic, to the point I cut a shell off the frame. To my knowledge only the F units were affected with the "Zinc Pest", the E unit and Shark frames that I have are stable. I too contacted BLI, told them what the problem was and asked what can you do to fix this. I didn't have one, I had six and the problem arose because of incorrect paint and lettering on Pennsy units.

As you stated they were courteous and helpful and I was told what it would cost to replace the frames. Considering I had these, boxed, for well over a decade the cost of getting them running again was worth it. I was told that I would receive more than just frames, possibly mounting screws, maybe a truck with sideframes, maybe a PC board, but not a bare frame. True to their word the frames were not bare, all had trucks but one, sideframes too, all had speakers, some had decoders, some had motors, so the cost of replacement was reasonable.

So, consider getting a few frames if your other BLI engines are as old as mina are, it could be worth your while, plus they paid shipping. No matter what you do, just some information on my experience with them.

Stay safe and take care!
Bob

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: RWL on September 06, 2020, 11:55:35 AM
Tom,

The other board member of the A&S reported a problem with motive power. I am well aware of BLI's frame swelling, I had a few that were problematic, to the point I cut a shell off the frame. To my knowledge only the F units were affected with the "Zinc Pest", the E unit and Shark frames that I have are stable. I too contacted BLI, told them what the problem was and asked what can you do to fix this. I didn't have one, I had six and the problem arose because of incorrect paint and lettering on Pennsy units.

As you stated they were courteous and helpful and I was told what it would cost to replace the frames. Considering I had these, boxed, for well over a decade the cost of getting them running again was worth it. I was told that I would receive more than just frames, possibly mounting screws, maybe a truck with sideframes, maybe a PC board, but not a bare frame. True to their word the frames were not bare, all had trucks but one, sideframes too, all had speakers, some had decoders, some had motors, so the cost of replacement was reasonable.

So, consider getting a few frames if your other BLI engines are as old as mina are, it could be worth your while, plus they paid shipping. No matter what you do, just some information on my experience with them.

Stay safe and take care!
Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the information. I did remove the BLI video from Public View and made it private.

One an other issue, after the video was posted, the Zinc Pest swelled to the point of expanding against the brass flywheel preventing it from running.

I'll call Melanie ( BLI Parts and Service) on Tuesday.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm going to spend the next few weeks on the layout and some other smaller railroad related projects. The major project will be the large river area.

While that project is underway, I'll be working in this area as well.

First I'll paint the rails with Floquil Rail Brown. I'll need to let the Rail Brown dry and cure prior to painting the ties with Floquil Railroad Tie Brown. If I get impatient, and paint the tie brown, the solvent will reactivate the rail brown and mix the two colors.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm also going to be building the FOS Riverbend Chapel. It will go on the other side of the tracks, literally.

I'll need to do a urban renewal and remove some trees.

This real estate section will need to be cleared and the ground prepped. I'm waiting on the Tahope Permitting Department to issue the permits.  :-X :-X

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Tree removal has begun prior to the permit. :o

I also used a small brush to apply the Rail Brown to the rails. This was a little tricksie as the distance between the two levels is a little less than 18 inches.

This is where not having much hair and no brains comes in handy.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Curt,

Thanks, I'm very excited to be doing so. Can't wait until after cutting the grass tomorrow. Provided the south bound portion of my north bound body is still able to move. Cutting grass in the Florida heat will certainly drain all desire to work on the layout for the remainder of the day.

I'm starting at 6:30 AM. I bet some "do gooder" will call the PO PO on me. Hey, it's not like a work day. For me, it's Labor Day and I'll be laboring early in the day.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Blazeman

How much territory do you have to mow, Tom?  Do you ride or push?

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on September 07, 2020, 08:21:41 AM
How much territory do you have to mow, Tom?  Do you ride or push?

Larry,

Not exactly sure of the yard sq. footage but it is big. I used to use a push mower in my youth but for the past 30 years I use a self propelled mower. I figure it is the equivalent of a good long walk.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com