The Atlantic & Southern Saturday Report

Started by Judge, January 05, 2019, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: Judge on February 01, 2019, 02:29:09 PM
Vince - The A&S does own a track cleaning car, but I am here to tell you we haven't used it on the ovalix for over two years.  Between DCC and WOW Sound's Keep Alive feature, we have very few stalls, even on turn-outs while running 0-6-0's. 

You do have a point.  I'll get a maintenance order off to the head of the A&S's MW Department, Will Fixer, and get him onto track maintenance right away.

Assign Greg "Fireball" DeMayo as the engineer on the MOW train and the entire layout will be clean in 5, 10 minutes tops. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

I like "Fireball" Bob, it made me chuckle.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

it certainly has more appeal than "Crumbs"..... ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Wow!!!!! That's some track work.

Karl

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Judge

Saturday, February 2,2019

Well, the track inspectors gathered at 0830 hours for the purpose of testing the new trackwork in the Summit area.  All possible moves through the reversing loop/wye were made without a hitch, although your reporter was advised that the success was achieved with care and a little trial and error in the wiring department.  Anyway, it is a thing of beauty, with each inch of track carefully laid without kinks or rough spots.  The 52" curve in place is a track to nowhere now, but it will eventually be the passenger car lead to the Union Station.  Tests were made.  An ACL Pacific with six passenger cars traveled from the Bottoms to Summit at speed step 35 in 17 minutes and 30 seconds.  An ACL freight of 19 cars and a caboose, powered by an A-B-A lash-up of F3's bettered the steamers performance, but those diesels are only a passing gimmick so not to worry.

Bob "Reading Bob" Butts paid the A&S a visit in time to make a run up and down the ovalix and got some experience throwing switches electronically.  Lunch break was at Smokey Bones.  The management accepts A&S pie cards.

Some of the stories related on this weekly post will deal with special citizens who live and work, or don't work, in the Tahope County Area.  Today's post examines the owner of the dinner located on the south end of the road in the Midlands.  It also has passing reference to her two employees.

SWEATY BETTY'S DINER

Sweaty Betty's Diner is the only restaurant catering exclusively to railroad men and their families near the Sanlando Classification Yard.  Her customers mostly live and work in or near the yard, or are members of train crews passing through.  One was married to a brakeman.
   Betty is of late 40's vintage, with high mileage and the shape of a ripe Florida grapefruit.  She positions herself by the cash register in the dinner and spews insults at her customers when they complain about the food or the service.  Betty bathes infrequently and her aroma blends nicely with the restaurant's smell of stale coffee, fried food and day-old beer.
   The menu at Betty's Diner is simple. It reads,

Breakfast   $1.50
   Lunch        $2.00
   Supper    $3.00

You get what you get at Betty's.  Food here would shock anyone with a preference for gourmet fare.  Breakfast usually includes fried eggs, bacon, grits, and toast.  Coffee is so hot it will sear your throat.  It's as thick as #40 motor oil, and as bitter as a two-timed girl-friend. Lunch can be burgers and fries or the "Blue Plate Special," on Fridays which includes Betty's meat loaf, which would convert a cattle rancher into a vegetarian.  Steak and potatoes are optional at supper, but most customers go for the fried catfish, grits, and lima beans.  It saves wear and tear on the teeth.  Everything on the menu is fried except the iced tea.
   The cook is s greasy, tall, skinny drink of water, named "Bo," who wears baggy overalls and a soiled undershirt.  He greats customers by lifting his nose and nodding in the customer's direction rather than uttering a verbal welcome.
   The waitress is an elderly soul, affectionately known as Ptomaine Tessie.  She is friendly enough, but forgetful and sometimes sloppy when serving the food. 
   Sweaty Betty's was quite busy during the war years, but the customer base has slacked off as the troops and troop trains have disappeared.  Sometimes even the rats fail to show up. 
   Betty is designated by the A&S to accept "pie cards" from railroad employees in lieu of cash payment.  The amounts are deducted from the employee's next payroll check.
   Betty has a working relationship with the Tahope County Restaurant Board and the inspectors tend to overlook minor infractions in return for a slice of Betty's lemon pie.
        Betty is accepting reservations for the upcoming Valentine's Day celebration.  Call early.  Last year's celebration resulted in six arrests and the brakeman's divorce.  Witnesses said, after a few beers the brakeman pulled out his wallet to pay Betty, turned to his wife, and said, "Hey, you wanna see a picture of my girlfriend?"  She was arrested for assault and battery.  He was hospitalized.  A good time was had by all. And everyone arrested made bond.   

GPdemayo

I heard it said that the cuisine at Betty's will stick to your ribs.....although it has been known to be responsible for some disastrous bowel distress.....great story Bill.  ;D ;D ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Judge

I want to thank my friends for pointing out my misspellings and grammatical errors in this week's report - especially my wife, who noticed I spelled "diner" "dinner."  I guess I need an editor - I have made a number of corrections to this week's story. 

The Atlantic & Southern is set in the early 1950's.  The characters who live in Tahope are mostly happy swamp dwellers who hunt and fish in lieu of working at a full-time job, much as their forefathers did before them prior to the coming of the railroad.  These types were in greater abundance back in the early 50's than they are today.  Now they have compensation from the government and have blue tooth in their pickup trucks, so they are much more sophisticated.  Betty's Diner closed forever in 1960.  The city fathers had tried to close her up for years without success.  What finally got her was lack of revenue, forcing the bank to foreclose the mortgage.

jerryrbeach

I'm kind of disappointed.  I thought any errors in grammar and spelling were to add some 50's local atmosphere to the A&S.  Um, localspeak, so to speak.   
Jerry

ACL1504

Quote from: vinceg on February 01, 2019, 08:45:58 AM
That really is a spectacular piece of engineering, Tom. I have never seen anything like it. Amazing.

Vince,

Thank you, it sure was fun to build and it did take a few months. Greg DeMayo designed it for the A&S RR, so the credit goes to Greg.

Also, it's fun to watch the trains going up and down.

Tom ;D

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jimmillho

Great Story Bill, I hope you never run out of Topics.

Jim

Judge

Saturday, February 9, 2019.
There is no Saturday Report on the progress and adventures of the Atlantic & Southern today because it is the day for the Babe to travel to Mt. Dora for a hair appointment and Tom travels with her for protection. 

I do have a story, albeit a short one, that has to do with one of the A&S engineers.  This guy really lives and breathes his calling to the high iron.  Here goes:

One of the most senior engineers on the A&S is Reginald "Fatso"Johnson.  He's been a railroader for nearly fifty years and riding on the right side of the engine for over thirty.  Railroading is in his blood.  He always "talks engine" about his own anatomy, clothes, food, and drink.

He refers to his hat as his 'dome casing;' his brotherhood pin is his 'number plate;' His coat is "the jacket;" his legs are the "drivers;" his hands are the "pins;" his arms are "side rods;" his stomach is the "firebox;" and his mouth the "pop."  He refers to a missing suspender button as a "broken spring hanger;" his limp is a "flat wheel;" he "fires up" when eating; he "takes water" when thirsty, and he "oils around" when tasting whisky.

ACL1504

Bill,

Thanks for mentioning Fatso. He is one salty cuss with his 50 years on the job, including the 30 years on the right. All the engineers lean towards the right on the Atlantic and Southern RR.

It might be time to pension him off. 8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Judge

Sorry, faithful followers of the Saturday Report.  The Report is delayed until tomorrow (2-17-19) due to the amount of material available and time restraints due to out of town company.  Try tomorrow after noon.

The Judge