Started by Judge, January 05, 2019, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Another wonderful story! 

I must admit, I'm beginning to get a little concerned that those electrical gremlins seem to only appear when I visit.  I didn't touch anything!  I swear!   :o
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Judge

Bob, Curt, Greg, Jerry, and Tom - Thanks for the kind remarks.

As far as the rest of the story goes - I suspect some of our friends "up Nawth" will have questions like why would FEC "E" units be pulling the ACL Champion into Sanlando Station.  And why would there be a need to change baggage cars in the first place? 

The answers are not obvious, but have a lot to do with Florida railroading, which, like other Flori-duh things, needs explanation.  The ACL's Champion is the railroad's premier deluxe passenger train.  One section of the Champ (East Coast Champion)  originates in Miami and the other (West Coast Champion) originates in St. Petersburg.  The two sections meet in Jacksonville, where they are combined for the remainder of the trip to New York and Boston.  The East Coast Champion normally takes FEC trackage to Jacksonville, and, through a pool agreement, motive power is sometimes ACL and other times FEC.  This arrangement allows the train to service Florida's Gold Coast from Miami through Ft. Lauderdale, Palm Beach, Cocoa, Daytona, Palatka, and St. Augustine, up to Jacksonville.  It also allows the ACL to service St. Petersburg, Tampa, Lakeland, Orlando, Winter Park, Deland, and points north into Jacksonville.  ACL power takes over in Jacksonville and carries the train through to Richmond.  At that point, the Pennsy takes over into New York.  Normally, in 1950, the Champ's motive power is an A-B-A E6 lash-up, but from 1938 until recently, a single ACL R-1 4-8-4 could handle the 20-car consist all the way to Richmond without stopping to get water or coal.  Those were the days and maybe they will be depicted here in a future report.  For now, here is a shot of 1809.

As for the change of baggage cars . . . . Your reporter contacted the FEC dispatcher in Miami (the FEC Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers is on strike) and he stated that the East Coast Champion was being crewed by scab labor on the day in question and, being somewhat inexperienced, failed to notice a hot box on the lead truck of the regular baggage car.  By the time it was discovered, the car needed to be replaced and sent to the repair shop.

jimmillho

Great story Bill.  I hope you never run  out of topics.

Jim

Judge

Thanks, Jim.  I have a lot of stories in the bag and more come to me every day.

RWL

Bill,

Another great tale that you have expounded, you have a very creative mind.

To the explanation of southern traveling. I traveled on the West Coast Champion to St. Pete to visit my grandparents back in the 50s, I truly enjoyed the French Toast in the diner. I was also amazed by street running down 4th, I never saw that back in New York, I couldn't get over seeing cars pass us as I was looking down on them.

One comment about your story, I don't think the RF&P Brotherhood of Engineers will appreciate your disregard for their efforts in Richmond. None the less a great explanation on Florida railroading and the trials and tribulations of the rails.

Bob

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 24, 2019, 10:50:17 AM
Another wonderful story! 

I must admit, I'm beginning to get a little concerned that those electrical gremlins seem to only appear when I visit.  I didn't touch anything!  I swear!   :o

Not to worry Bob.....I'll probably get blamed in absentia (didn't think I knew that one did ya Bill).  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Judge

Greg - People shouldn't be blamed for what they can't help.

jrmueller

Judge - Your stories are the highlight of my Saturday. You have a great talent. Thanks for efforts. Do you compose after going to lunch and having barbecue and suds?! Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad

Bruce Oberleitner

Btw, I think some of Clovis and Boones grand children also work at Ohara airport in Chicago.

Judge

Jim and Bruce - I'm glad you enjoy reading the Saturday Report.  Amazing that I haven't insulted anyone - at least not yet!

I get some of my ideas from a book my father gave me years ago entitled "Railroad Folklore."  I take a story and work it into a 1950 setting involving the A&S.  My grandfather was a conductor on the ACL back before WWI.  He was also the mayor of Lakeland, Florida, which was a division point in those days and he served a term in the Florida Senate.  My dad loved trains and used to take me to the Orlando station on Sundays to watch the the trains come through.

Not to worry - I have plenty of stories in the pipeline and won't run out of them anytime soon.  I will be concentrating on the people who live in and around Tahope for the next few weeks.  Clovis and Boone are only the beginning.

PaulS

Another interesting and entertaining back story Bill, really brings Tom's A&S alive for us all.

And like others, I very much look forward to your Saturday report.
Thanks and be well,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

GPdemayo

Quote from: Judge on February 24, 2019, 05:04:24 PM

I like the wisdom in your words.....but I don't think that defense would work in court.  :'(
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jimmillho

Quote from: GPdemayo on February 25, 2019, 08:39:42 AM
Quote from: Judge on February 24, 2019, 05:04:24 PM

I like the wisdom in your words.....but I don't think that defense would work in court.  :'(

Ignorance of the Laws...........

Jim

MAP

Another excellent Saturday Report!  You really do a great job spinning those tales based on the stories in the Railroad Folklore book into tales of the 1950s.  Great pics as well!
Mark