SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND RAILWAY - BOWES CREEK DIVISION

Started by CVSNE, November 26, 2018, 02:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CVSNE

Quote from: Blazeman on November 27, 2018, 08:25:49 AM
Marty:  What is the width of the Ikea shelving?  Are you planning to keep that depth consistent, or will you widen as you see fit?

Here's the IKEA system I used - it's called "Ivar" -

https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/usearch/?query=Ivar

The side units - basically the legs - come in two depths - 12" and 20" - and various heights - I used the 49" tall versions.
I also used a couple of cabinets to add storage.

Most of my layout is 24" deep - I used some 12" Ivars - overhanging the legs by 6" on each side of the legs.
One section of the layout is 30" deep - I used the 20" deep shelves there.

I don't know if it's clear from the photos but I didn't put the Ivar under the entire length of the layout - I created bases for the layout sections and then bridged the span between them with conventional benchwork or attached L-girders depending on how much depth I wanted below track "0" level.

These are 20" wide Ivar with 33" long shelves with 30" deep open grid benchwork -

On this peninsula, I've attached L-girder to the Ivar legs. That's one of the Ivar cabinets mounted to the legs.

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

And, for reference, here's a photo of a printed version of the trackplan (sorry for the weird shadow!)

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

GPdemayo

Neat benchwork system Marty.....great progress.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

CVSNE

Realize it's been a while since I posted anything to this thread.

For starters, I've been doing somewhat regular, short video updates on the layout and posting them to YouTube -

You can view the latest here:

https://youtu.be/8Ey7OPukxOc

I'll try and follow up with some posts and photos in this thread over the weekend.

Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

jerryrbeach

If anyone hasn't seen Marty's YouTube channel, you need to check it out.  His layout is really starting to take shape, and his commentary is both enlightening and entertaining.
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Marty:

Looks just great sofdar. Will be following along.

Karl

CVSNE

Jerry and Karl,

Thanks for the kind words!

Marty
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

This is one of two possibilities for the first new structure built specifically for this layout:

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

deemery

I definitely like the 'retro' building better!  What do you make of those striped bars at the top of the loading dock stairs?

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

CVSNE

Quote from: deemery on August 26, 2019, 10:58:02 AM
I definitely like the 'retro' building better!  What do you make of those striped bars at the top of the loading dock stairs?

dave

Dave,

The "striped bars" are the sides of a can roller - in the case of the shot of the trackside view, one section of roller on the loading dock is folded out of the way.

This shot, taken at the "other end" of the process - where the cans are being delivered - may clear it up. In  this case it looks like a powered conveyer belt since the cans are going into the building and moving up hill. The shot with the milk car to the right shows how the cans would move down a slope - and those "stripes" you pointed out are the ends of the rollers visible on the sides of the roller assembly.   

Note the small milk can sized door on the side of the building in both shots.

Marty
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

Jerry

The RETRO for sure.  What a great scene that will make!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

jerryrbeach

Marty,

The last photo takes me back to the mid-60's.  I worked on a dairy farm where the milk was shipped to the creamery in cans loaded on a stake rack truck.  At that time some of the farmers in the area (upstate NY) were just starting to change over to bulk tanks. 
Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Marty:

I'd go with the retro also. Can't wait to see what you do.

Karl

Raymo

Marty, watched the last video, Ben's Mill came out great! Unfortunately George Barrett has sold off his vehicle business and I talked to the new owner and it's going to be a slow process getting vehicles and bodies back out on the market. He made some different tanks and a newer milk body. Might have to scratch build that body.