MORRISTOWN & ERIE RAILROAD - WESTERN DIVISION - PART THREE

Started by Erieman, March 17, 2020, 11:31:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erieman

Quote from: mark dalrymple on May 31, 2020, 06:52:17 PM
Looking good, Frank.

Its always nice to change things up a bit.

Cheers, Mark.

Good Day Mark,

A pleasure to hear from you. Hope a is well in kiwi land. As a side note, one of my favorite movies was made there, or at lest a part of it. "The World's Fastest Indian" with Anthony Hopkins. Probably have seen the movie 20 plus times.
As i told Greg, this structure, because of its proximity to the viewer, will get a great amount of detail. I have digging thru my parts drawer (s) and have a large selection of components to add. More pics later in the week.
Thanks again for stopping by.

Frank / Erieman

Mark Dalrymple

Hi Frank.

My father used to go and watch Burt Munro do his test runs down the tram road between the Waimakariri river and Oxford.  Apparently, he used to drive up from Invercargill (some 7 hours drive), do a couple of test runs, put the bike back on the trailer, and drive back home.

Cheers, Mark.

Erieman

Quote from: mark dalrymple on June 01, 2020, 03:29:40 PM
Hi Frank.

My father used to go and watch Burt Munro do his test runs down the tram road between the Waimakariri river and Oxford.  Apparently, he used to drive up from Invercargill (some 7 hours drive), do a couple of test runs, put the bike back on the trailer, and drive back home.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark,,

That must have been awesome. Did you see the movie?

Frank / Erieman

Erieman

Okay, the Currier & Son has made some progress today. The shingle and tar paper roofs are complete and a chimney has been added to the shingle roof structure. There are also many cast metal pieces that have been filed and primed. Several more cast pieces need to be completed. I have fire escape steps that need final assembly and painting. There are many cast roof vents and dust collectors that are also being assembled. Tomorrow i will install the signage. There are probably more items to install, but that is all I can remember at this time.

The overall photo has a white foam board  piece sitting on the layout. That is a template of a future building. I have several City Classics buildings on the layout. This building will be an assembly of the Tiles buildings. I have taken many of the fronts and turned them into several panels of nine story panels. I will added some additional foam panels to the white base to simulate the basic structure. Once that is completed and I like it, i will integrate the actual panels into the final structure. I'll be working on and off on this structure over the next couple weeks. There is a lot of tunnel action with this building as you can see.

That's the progress for today.

Frank / Erieman

postalkarl

Hey Frank:

Looks like that's gonna be A great corner on The RR. Great job on the bricks. Rankin's looks great also. Like to see the bridge.

Karl

Erieman

Quote from: postalkarl on June 03, 2020, 11:00:52 AM
Hey Frank:

Looks like that's gonna be A great corner on The RR. Great job on the bricks. Rankin's looks great also. Like to see the bridge.

Karl

Thanks Karl,

While i am working on Currier & Son, I have been thinking about the rest of the area in the photo. I think the big building over three sets of tracks will be a challenge, but exciting. Hope to have a white model of this area late this week. I hope that happens. With the hot weather settling in for the summer, i have pretty good chance. There are our dog days. Thanks for stopping by. More soon.

Frank / Erieman

postalkarl

Hey Frank:

You are quite welcome Frank. I'm watching.

Karl

ACL1504

Frank,

Looking very good. I like how you added to the main Currier building. Looks perfect, great job.

More pictures please.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

Quote from: ACL1504 on June 04, 2020, 05:55:29 PM
Frank,

Looking very good. I like how you added to the main Currier building. Looks perfect, great job.

More pictures please.

Tom ;D

Good Morning Tom et. all,

Spent quite a bit of time yesterday working on Currier & Son. I added the water tower and fire escape. The chimney is different than the one provided. The fire escape and water tower were a bot time consuming, but the end result is good. The stone foundation was also completely painted around the entire structure. Hopefully the extra windows show up tomorrow, then i can complete that portion of the build.

I may start building two tomorrow, depending on how much the wife wants done around the house. The temperature is going to be a lot lower tomorrow and Sunday, so the second building might be early next week. Happy wife - Happy life !

Erieman

Quote from: Erieman on June 05, 2020, 11:33:55 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on June 04, 2020, 05:55:29 PM
Frank,

More pictures please.

Tom ;D

Tom, After looking at the model, I realized that the circus billboard was hidden by the fire escape. This would have never happened, unless the fire escape was added later. SO-o-o, I carefully removed the fire escape, cleaned up the glue and re glued it to the boarded up window opening to the right. I hope this looks better. I have been adding the soffits on the wooden structure. I had a little scare as i was moving the structure around. Apparently, one of the small plaster pieces between the wooden structure and main building was not secured properly. So, before it met the floor, i spread out my big mitts and caught everything. Once the problem was diagnosed, i spread a generous quantity of Elmers yellow glue in the correct corners. Problem solved.

I'll post the revised photo in a bit.

Frank / Erieman

Good Morning Tom et. all,

Spent quite a bit of time yesterday working on Currier & Son. I added the water tower and fire escape. The chimney is different than the one provided. The fire escape and water tower were a bot time consuming, but the end result is good. The stone foundation was also completely painted around the entire structure. Hopefully the extra windows show up tomorrow, then i can complete that portion of the build.

I may start building two tomorrow, depending on how much the wife wants done around the house. The temperature is going to be a lot lower tomorrow and Sunday, so the second building might be early next week. Happy wife - Happy life !

Mark Dalrymple

Looking really good, Frank.

It looks like nice fine detail in the tank support framework.

Yes - I have seen the movie and enjoyed it.  I think Anthony Hopkins did a pretty reasonable job of the New Zealand accent (most actors don't).  Southland has arguably the only regional accent in NZ - the quite distinctive rolling 'R'.

Cheers, Mark.

Erieman

Quote from: mark dalrymple on June 06, 2020, 03:51:52 PM
Looking really good, Frank.

It looks like nice fine detail in the tank support framework.

Yes - I have seen the movie and enjoyed it.  I think Anthony Hopkins did a pretty reasonable job of the New Zealand accent (most actors don't).  Southland has arguably the only regional accent in NZ - the quite distinctive rolling 'R'.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark,

Glad you like the progress. We enjoyed our visit to your beautiful country. It was many years ago and we probably should go back. A very long plane ride.

Frank / Erieman