Louisiana & Arkansas Railway Ten Wheeler Painting

Started by ACL1504, May 22, 2020, 04:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

Tom,

As usual, simply stunning.  Not only is your paint job pure perfection, you back it up with so many "accents".  I love the red Globe valve handles, the way the windows and arm rests get picked out and the air hoses on the pilot.  I've run out of words...
Jerry

GPdemayo

Quote from: jerryrbeach on May 28, 2020, 06:27:15 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on May 28, 2020, 05:16:39 PM
Oh boy..... 8)

OK Greg.  Slow down big fella.  I'm pretty sure the A&S superintendent is not going to allow you to run that high steppin' ten wheeler wide open.   ;D

I can show restraint..... :o .....for a little while.  ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on May 28, 2020, 06:27:15 PM
Quote from: GPdemayo on May 28, 2020, 05:16:39 PM
Oh boy..... 8)

OK Greg.  Slow down big fella.  I'm pretty sure the A&S superintendent is not going to allow you to run that high steppin' ten wheeler wide open.   ;D

Greg,

Yea, what he said.

Tom  8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on May 28, 2020, 06:30:29 PM

Tom,

As usual, simply stunning.  Not only is your paint job pure perfection, you back it up with so many "accents".  I love the red Globe valve handles, the way the windows and arm rests get picked out and the air hoses on the pilot.  I've run out of words...

Jerry,

Thank you for the very kind and generous compliment on the loco. This was a fun one to do.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Judge

Beautiful job Tom.  It will look good pulling a string of three or four heavyweights. 

Baldwin built hundreds of "stock" ten-wheelers before WWI.  They differed in minor details, including driver diameter for freight and passenger versions, but they "looked" mostly the same.  The ACL had a bunch of them.  Some had a copper cap on the smokestack and were called Copperheads.  (A copperhead is a poisonous snake found in almost all of the swamps in Florida and South Jaw-ja).

My grandfather (my father's father) was a conductor on the Coast Line from the 1890s until he died in 1936.  My mother told me she often rode with him on trips from Lakeland (where they lived) to Waycross, Jaw-ja.  That was a full day's ride behind a ten-wheeler.

In 1912 my father and my grandmother took the train from Lakeland to Tampa and caught a steamboat for a trip to New York City.  She bought a grand piano and had it shipped by steamboat back to Tampa.  The Coast Line added a flatcar to the end of a passenger train and hauled the piano, my grandmother, and my dad back to Lakeland.  There were no paved roads in Florida in 1912 so serious travel was by boat or train.  I inherited the piano when my grandmother died in 1954.  I sold it in 1997 when we moved to our house in Sanford. 

Here is one of ACL's many ten-wheelers.  Most of them never received the fancy herald on the tender.  The heralds were added after most of the ten-wheelers were declared obsolete and were replaced by Pacifics. 

EricQuebec

deemery

The range for copperheads goes well into PA, I think we had some in our yard in Northern VA.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on May 29, 2020, 02:16:48 PM
The range for copperheads goes well into PA, I think we had some in our yard in Northern VA.

dave

Dave,

According to the ACL Richard Prince book, several were built in the Richmond Shops. The one shown above is on display in Florence, SC.

It is quite possible they were in Northern VA. These were used for both freight and passenger service.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

Tom, I was talking about the snakes, actually.  But it wouldn't surprise me about the loco, a lot of stuff visited the RF&P yards at one point or another.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on May 29, 2020, 07:01:00 PM
Tom, I was talking about the snakes, actually.  But it wouldn't surprise me about the loco, a lot of stuff visited the RF&P yards at one point or another.

dave

Dave,

My bad, I was so locked into the loco that the snake aspect never entered my mind. Good thing I wasn't in the woods!  ???

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Very professionally done. Thanks for posting.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on May 30, 2020, 05:06:31 PM
Hey Tom:

Very professionally done. Thanks for posting.

Karl

Karl,

Sorry for the late reply to your post. I appreciate the compliment.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com