FSM #130 - Ezra Coopers Garage

Started by GPdemayo, July 03, 2020, 11:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Happy 4th to all here.....

It seems that we are having a rash of FSM builds on the Forum and I will be adding to the mix with this build, the Fine Scale Miniature kit #130.....Ezra Cooper's Garage.

I got this kit, along with the Rail Car Shed and Flagstop Station about 5 years ago when Bob Butts had a fire sale of a few of his FSM stash that he didn't think he would ever get around to building. Thanks Bob, these are fun kits and some of George's early works that I missed when he originally released them.

I had intended to rifle these kits for the castings to use on other builds, but after the my less than satisfying results with the CCK Low Company kit, I think this kit can be better used for practicing on my structure building skills. Also, none of the kits that I have ever built have the number or level of detail as the castings that are in this kit and it will be a new adventure for me.

So here goes.....obligatory box & content photos.

Exhibit #1 - (ECG-001)

Exhibit #2 - (ECG-002)

To demonstrate how the kit should look as completed, I have included a photo of Frank Baker's build. I don't remember getting this from you Frank, but thanks for the photo and beautifully done.

Exhibit #3 - (ECG-003)

To begin.....I made copies of George's templates and instructions. I then checked the templates to make sure they were the exact size as the original.....sometimes when they are reproduced, the process can make the copy a bit smaller or larger.

I started with the wall framing on the rear wall. The structure has post and beam type construction and I mostly followed the instructions as George wrote them. The bottom and top plates and studs are 6"x6", however, I thought that since the local of the scene on the layout will be in the Rockies, the top plate should be more substantial too handle the snow loads, so a 6"x8" was specified instead.

I checked in the stash and I have everything but a 6"x8" size.....what to do? Only one choice, call my LHS and inquired if Mr. Langford had that size in stock. As luck would have it, he had an unopened bag in his stash from 30 years ago. Thanks Tom.....

The other change I made was to the horizontal blocking for the siding. As you can see in the photo of the template below, George didn't include the blocking required for nailing the vertical siding onto the framing. The wall scales out to 11'-6" high. When nailing on vertical siding a minimum of 4' center to center spacing is needed. In the real world, using 2' on center is a better choice, but for a model in HO, that seems to a bit of overkill.

Exhibit #4 - (ECG-003b)

I struck parallel lines at 4' and 8' from the bottom plate and used this as my guide for the blocking placement. Note the thicker 6"x8" top plate in the photo.

Exhibit #5 - (ECG-004)

The vertical siding, furnished in the kit, is a scale 1"x10". I stressed the lumber and cleaned the pieces and began applying it to the wall framing, adding nail holes as I went.

Exhibit #6 - (ECG-005)

A decent start, but a lot to go, as the stick built wall framing and siding is a bit time consuming to cut and put together.....thank goodness for the ole' chopper.

Next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Great start Greg. Of course I'll be following.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Greg

This is a great kit and I will be following along on your build.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

WigWag Workshop

Looking forward to following along! Would love to build a kit like this at some point, looks like a lot of fun.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

GPdemayo

Thanks Curt.....another installment coming soon.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Great start on this little gem Greg.  When you get around to painting the castings count the number of hats Mr. Cooper had sitting around on shelves and workbenches.  ;) 

Question - have you ever tried staining the strip wood prior to construction rather than after?  Works both ways but doing it after might the stain may reveal spots where some glue inadvertently got on the wood and the stain won't penetrate.  Just wondering.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Thanks John.....it is quite an eye opener, after looking at the pictures and instructions for so many years, I had it pictured as a much larger structure and the reality is that it's only about 4-1/2" wide and 6" deep. Amazing.....good things sometimes do come in small packages :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Thanks Steven.....it is fun and I'm sure you'll be there in no time.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Thanks Bob.....I'm definitely having a good time.  :)

Some thought was given to the method you are referring to, but I intend to spray paint the exterior as well as the interior of the walls and figured it would be done after they are all assembled.

I am anxious to give your method a try, but I need to wait till I do one of the buildings for the boom town area. These communities generally didn't bother spending the time or money on paint for their buildings.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Greg,

You are welcome, glad I could help out. Nice start and spraying the walls will certainly give it a different look. Looking forward to seeing that. Do I need to get ready with the sprayer or are you going the rattle can method?

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

The help is always appreciated Tom.....I'll be using the Iwata on it as I need the practice, but stand by for questions and/or solutions.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Greg,

This is one of my all time favorite FSM kits.  I've come close but never quite spent the necessary coin to own one.  I may be a little late getting on board but I will be following.
Jerry

ReadingBob

Let me reiterate that I'm happy to see this one being built rather than sitting in my closet waiting for my heirs to dispose of since it was becoming apparent I'd never get around to building it.  Not that I plan on going anywhere anytime soon, just that I have too many (is that possible) other kits sitting in the closet that I'm going to pull down to build before I'd ever get to this one.   ;D

If you need any help with the airbrush let me know.  I'd be happy to come over or you could come over here.  Although I'd understand perfectly if you defer to the master.   ;D  ;D  ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Thanks Bob.....glad to know that you aren't going anywhere anytime soon, especially since you're staying off those darn ladders.  ;)

Any help with the airbrush and other things will always be greatly appreciated, chat soon.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

tom.boyd.125

Gregory,
Your build will bring back a lot of memories...will follow along...
http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=1354.0
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com