Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Greg:

It's coming along very nicely so far.

Karl

GPdemayo

Thanks Karl.....appreciate you looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: PRR Modeler on August 25, 2020, 07:01:45 PM
What happened with the build Greg?

Funny you should ask Curt.....the build has been stalled for the last few days.

We've had a fun time around here since a thunderstorm moved thru last Friday afternoon. A real close lightning strike knocked out our personal and business land lines, our main business phone, our DSL internet connection, the cloths dryer a couple of dimmer switches, popped a few circuit breakers and took out the hard wire internet connection port on my computer.

I called Century Link and they were apologetic, but refused to get a repairman out until Monday. We had just upgraded our modem (the lightning took out the DSL line and fried the modem) and switched to streaming TV about 3 weeks ago so no TV or connection to the outside world except thru Pegi's cell phone.....all this with 2 possible hurricanes headed our way from the Atlantic.

Century Link finally got the fried components on the outside phone box repaired and the modem replaced Monday. After a quick trip to Best Buy for a couple of USB wireless adapters and a new phone, we are back up and running. A couple of dimmer switches, a new garbage disposal and washer/dryer are next on the ole' agenda.

I got a few minutes of work done on the flooring of the garage last night and hope to get a bit more done for progress photos by next week.

I have those copies of the mine plan and will give them to you the next time I see you at Tom's.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Jerry

Just catching up here Greg.

Well that was an adventure wasn't it.  Glad your getting back on line again.

Progress is coming along very nicely.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

PRR Modeler

Sorry to hear about your power and equipment issues. If you need anything let me know.
Curt Webb

GPdemayo

Thanks for looking in Jerry.....yes, quite an adventure.....we don't want to repeat that too often.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

WigWag Workshop

I am currently seeking out this kit for my first FSM build.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

GPdemayo

Is is a really good kit to use for practice with board on board construction and detail castings.....you'll enjoy it.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

With the roof substantially complete, it is time to continue getting the building ready to mount on it's slab.

As mentioned above, the "concrete" floor slab was cut from 1/6" plywood like the roof. I sanded the edges and painted with Floquil concrete. Lines, to represent the location of the sleepers, were drawn from side to side on 4' centers. The 4x10 flooring was prepped with the wood grain, roughed up with a metal brush and stained with a thinned grime.

In 1:1 practice, the slab is covered with a layer of waterproofing material (felt, visqueen, etc.) and a 1x wood sleeper is attached to the slab to raise the wood off the slab and allow the finished floor to be attached. With the waterproof barrier and the dead air space, the chance of the finished wood floor warping is minimized.

Exhibit #1 - (ECG-046)

A close up photo to show the wood for the finished floor cut to 12', 14' 16' & 18' lengths as they would be delivered from the lumber yard.

Exhibit #2 - (ECG-049)

A progress photo with the flooring a little over 50% complete with the gluing and nail holes. The 4' o.c. lines that were drawn is used to indicate the location of the sleepers in order to get the nail holes in the proper location.

Exhibit #3 - (ECG-052)

The front and right side wall glued together and sitting unglued on the slab. The wall bottom plate is not cut out in the door openings.

Exhibit #4 - (ECG-063)

Not enough time to post the completed flooring now.....I'll try and get them posted soon.

Next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

Great job Greg!  Glad to see you found something to do that'll keep you out of trouble.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Jerry

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ACL1504

Greg,

The garage is looking very good, nice job.

I see you have two "Greg Speeds", one for running locos and one for building. Just an observation.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com