Built-Rite Models Wm Archer Co

Started by Oldguy, March 09, 2020, 08:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

I really didn't get a lot done today.  I had planned on completing the roof top sign.  I figured out how to make a sign in Excel and control it's size.  I got it printed, along with a Chicken Chow road sign and sprayed with a fixative.  While that was all drying, I painted and put together the sign board.  What I didn't plan on was the sign having a 2x12 top and side pieces, eating up sign area.  Idiot.  No wonder the original kit sign was smaller.  Idiot.

And yes, I did rename the company.  I dug around and found who owned the actual feed and grain company, so it was a natural option.  But then I try to do this for each town industry. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I managed to get the roof-top sign done and the road side sign made up.  The latter, I snagged off the interwebs and resized it.

The included signs weren't all that good and I tried to recover them as much as I was capable of doing, but nah.  While looking for applicable replacement graphis, I ran across Dave's Decals.  He had just exactly what I needed, including the Purina signs.  The kit had it as Purnia.  Igot a couple of sets in both clear and white.  I chose the white.  Let's see.  It's been what 30 years since I slid a decal?  Probably Dave's was a good place to get back into it.  I'll add some Micro Sol and check  to see hos does.  I will need to weather these.  Probably should have gone with clear.

I did manage to add what detail stuff came with the kit.  Once it gets planted, I'll add more.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

jerryrbeach

Bob,

I like the last shot of the covered loading dock.  It really shows off the work you did adding door details, studs to the end wall, stairs, brick piers, etc.  Very nice modeling.
Jerry

tom.boyd.125

Bob,
Your build is looking great ! The signage and details make the kits come alive.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Jerry, Tom, and Curt thanks for the kind words.

Took some weathering powders to the ends and bottom sections.  I'm calling this one done.  At least until it gets planted on the layout.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

It coming along very nicely. Keep the pic flowing.

Karl

Opa George

Bob, that turned out very nice indeed.  I particularly like the kicked up dirt effect at the loading door and side of the building. Looks very authentic.
--Opa George

GPdemayo

Excellent modeling Bob.....enjoyed your build and am looking forward to seeing it planted on your layout.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Love the weathering. It's looking good.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 26, 2020, 09:25:58 AM
Excellent modeling Bob.....enjoyed your build and am looking forward to seeing it planted on your layout.  8)
Thanks.  I can't wait, well actually I'll have to, get it planted.  I finally got a static grass gun.  I'll probably have grass growing on the roof by the time I'm done.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Thanks for the support Karl and George.
Still learning
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond