For those who have actually built a Fine Scale Miniature's kit.

Started by tct855, February 26, 2019, 08:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richbeau

For me, I'd have to say that there are currently four companies that have been producing unique works that are pushing the edges of what George has accomplished over a long career. The limited edition kits from these folks are all excellent (listed in alphabetical order).

Art Fahie & Jim Mooney (Bar Mills Scale Model Works)
Brett Gallant (SierraWest Scale Models)
Dario Le Donne (Rail Scale Miniatures)
Doug Foscale (FOS Scale Models)

I'm sure you've got some favorites for each of these companies.
--Rich

tct855

Quote from: tct855 on February 26, 2019, 08:41:37 AM
Modeler;

I wonder two thoughts in model railroading today with regards to skill & imagination (i.e. FSM kits).  If no John Allen, then would we have a George Sellios?
If no George Sellios, then where do you think your modeling skill & imagination would be today as a builder?  Let's face it, Both John & George brought model railroading to an elevated level with overall skill of modeling theme.

If neither contributed to model railroading, where do you think your modeling skill & level would be today?  This is a simple question because both are no longer contributing directly to model railroading today, (John has passed, George has retired) so where will you take your modeling skill & imagination tomorrow?

Does model railroading need another modeling trendsetter for the rest of us to follow?  If so, who do you think it will be?  What modeling direction will we take?  Will our skills increase?
You know the history of model railroading, you know where model railroading is today, where will model railroading be many years from now?  What say, you modeler?     Thanx Thom...

Some Interesting thoughts have ensued since my original post.

Here's a reminder to some that inappurtenant to my original question.  For some, I say pull back on the throttle and read the track signals again. My first paragraph sets the theme, my second paragraph asks the question and the third simply allows for the tone or direction of the question asked with regards to the theme or type of high detail modeling. 

(some might ponder, which came first- the chicken or the egg- I merely suggest what if both modeling leaders weren't involved at all, would you have the craftsman skill level that you have today.  Because of those who directly followed them, most likely would not be expanding on what John or George had started.   

I for one would have not gotten as involved in the hobby because I would have never saw far enough into the possibilities of weathered modeling.  I suspect until the skill level of the military modelers of today had come about and then I might have gone the direction of the building of planes and tanks and such from WWII as I first started out when building my first models.  My 2ยข.