The Empire

Started by Zephyrus52246, August 31, 2014, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Jeff,

WOW, adding structures to the layout sure changes the look. I know you've been looking forward to this time when things start looking as they do.

Very well done on the placement of the structures.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

Actually, John, I've only had two cars go to the floor (except for test cars that were flung down the track at "Greg Speed" for testing).  I'm afraid to let the brass locos out on the line until there's more "protection".   ;D

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Tom.  This is set up more to judge where the streets will go.  I suspect the "Red Light District" will end up if front, but I've got to build the structures and then place them. 

Jeff

GPdemayo

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 05, 2017, 05:14:11 PM
.....(except for test cars that were flung down the track at "Greg Speed" for testing).....

Jeff

et tu Jeff..... ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jimmillho

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 05, 2017, 06:09:39 PM
Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 05, 2017, 05:14:11 PM
.....(except for test cars that were flung down the track at "Greg Speed" for testing).....

Jeff

et tu Jeff..... ;)

Looks like Greg's reputation is country wide  :o :o :o

Jim

donatode

GPdemayo

See what you started Tom..... ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Do I sense some exaggeration Greg? ;)
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 07, 2017, 08:48:35 AM

Greg,

First, lets not take Dr. Jones' Empire thread on a side track!

Secondly, you and you alone are responsible for the "Greg Speed", I only named it.

Now, back to Jeff's thread.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 07, 2017, 11:40:04 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on July 07, 2017, 08:48:35 AM

Greg,

First, lets not take Dr. Jones' Empire thread on a side track!

Secondly, you and you alone are responsible for the "Greg Speed", I only named it.

Now, back to Jeff's thread.

Tom ;D

Jeff.....sorry about side tracking the thread, but as you might not know, I've fallen in amongst a group of miscreants and have picked up a few bad habits.  :o

As for you Thomas.....I was only following the manufacturers instruction on how to break in a new engine. That's my story and I'm sticking to it..... :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

LongHornCaddy

Mighty impressive work here Jeff!

Zephyrus52246

I had two nagging trackwork issues that needed fixing.  The first was at the turnout on the "bridge" near the water heater.  I initially installed it with an unusually long rail joiner that had a bit of play in it.  This caused the curve to start abruptly at the joint.  This was fine with diesels and my BLI and Athearn steam locos.  Brass was a different story.  The 2-8-2s had occasional issues, but the 4-8-4 derailed nearly every time.  I took the whole track out and relayed it.  The "bridge" had to be widened to accommodate this.   All the engines now run fine through this (even a 2-10-2). 

Zephyrus52246

The second was a broken throwbar at a turnout.  I tried gluing this with several glues, but none held.  So I replaced it with a PC board tie.  Too much solder at the joints ( :-[ ), but it works, throws well and even cranky engine number 5630 (the 4-8-4 getting the new nickname, "The rail defect detector), runs through it in both directions without issues. 

Jeff

S&S RR

Looking good Jeff!  We all have a "cranky" locomotive that ends up being our test locomotive. It took me a long time to understand that you need to test at different speeds.  I used to send "Cranky" through the trouble spot at "Greg speed" and figured I had the problem licked. I find that some problem only show up at slow speeds. The only glue that I have found that works on the plastic used in turnouts is Walther's Goop. I like your solution better though.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision