The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 2

Started by ACL1504, May 11, 2017, 12:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Okay, the Atlantic and Southern build thread is now officially off and posting.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

tct855

Tom,
           I'm with you!  Can't wait to see and learn more of the ACL & modeling an empire.  Thanx Thom...

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: tct855 on May 11, 2017, 03:53:08 PM
Tom,
           I'm with you!  Can't wait to see and learn more of the ACL & modeling an empire.  Thanx Thom...

Thom,

I appreciate the support. The empire building sure is fun these days.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I started scratch building the lone Cracker House for the pine woods.

I found some scrap lap siding and drew one of the end walls on the back. I always draw and cut from the back when scratch building. This method lets the over cuts and pencil marks remain on the rear of the walls.

After an hour or so I had the four walls sized and cut.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I cut an opening for the front door and a double window  in the front wall section.

The back wall will be up against the photo backdrop so no back door or window.

I then drew two horizontal lines on the back of the side wall. I don't remember why I did the bottom line but the top one is the same level as the front double window. I needed all the side walls to be the same height from the bottom as the one in front.

The horizontal line give me the reference for the bottom of the side windows.

I then drew three equally spaced vertical lines on the back of the side walls. These lines represent the center of the three side wall windows.

Continued later this evening.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Tom

Great scene to kickoff volume II.  Welcome to life after the lockup.  It's not to bad after you get use to it.  I have been going into my version 1 and unlocking - doing a  bump post and locking it back up when it drops down to the bottom of page 1.  I want to keep both volumes on the same page.  You may want to do the same thing.  I wonder if wonderful Mr. Jimmy D knows of a way of putting the locked close to 200 page threads on the top of page 1???

As always, I will be following along and learning.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

I cut the opening for the center window and made a test fit. It all is good up til now.

I used the cut out plug as a template for the other two windows. I cut the other two openings and made a window test fit with those.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on May 11, 2017, 06:24:43 PM
Tom

Great scene to kickoff volume II.  Welcome to life after the lockup.  It's not to bad after you get use to it.  I have been going into my version 1 and unlocking - doing a  bump post and locking it back up when it drops down to the bottom of page 1.  I want to keep both volumes on the same page.  You may want to do the same thing.  I wonder if wonderful Mr. Jimmy D knows of a way of putting the locked close to 200 page threads on the top of page 1???

As always, I will be following along and learning.

John,

Thanks, I never thought I'd be locking myself up. ;D ;D ;D ;D  I still have the original handcuffs I was issued in October of 1973! Yes, they still work. Oh, that's another lock up and a story for another time.

I think bumping the old along with the new active thread is a good idea. I didn't want anyone to loose the continuity of following the thread. However, nor do I want to go through another crash.

I appreciate you following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I used the first wall as a pattern to mark the window openings for the opposite wall section.

Fast forward and all openings are cut and all windows fit nice and snug.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I was waiting for the area around the pond to dry. I was bored and got carried away on bracing the back of the walls.

This last photo put me over the 3100 picture count in the A&S RR thread.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Okay, I remember why I had the bottom pencil line. That was the line for the bottom of the front window, not the top line.

When I measured the height, the side windows sat to low on the side walls. I centered the side windows and the top pencil line was the "new" bottom of the side windows. Confused now!

Windows centered on the side walls.

I also forgot to mention I added the corner trim to the side walls as seen in the photo above.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com