Build 003: KC's Pop's General Store

Started by PainTrain, October 27, 2019, 11:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PainTrain

Finally got around to starting my latest kit today.

Went with gray for the storefront, a little unconventional turquoise for the clapboard, and burnt umber for the trim.  Going to probably be using soft black or white for the doors and window frames and burnt umber for some of the other details.

There's still quite a bit of construction to do before I can start weathering.

I picked up a heat gun when I was repairing one of my rc cars a couple weeks ago, and this thing has sped up the modeling considerably.  It really helps dry paint and glue with a quickness.

Opa George

Nice color combination--I've always liked the bold combos on Main Street type buildings! Very striking.
George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bruce Oberleitner

Pain Train,
I picked up this kit as well and it's on my list to build.  I saw this guy built by Jason Jensen where Jason added a pier to it and decided to get one.  Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it. 

PainTrain

Was out of town for work but got back to it.  Low heat on the heat gun was a little too much for the tichy windows so i had to improvise.  Got a base coat of weathering down and started putting it all together.

PainTrain

Built a foundation and some decks.  Started on the roofing this week.

Opa George

Very nice! That variety of shades on the decks is very effective.
--George

PainTrain

Thanks George.  I gave one of the Sierra West techniques a try,  and I like the way it turned out for the scratch build deck. 

Got the roof done, and began adding signage and some exterior weathering.  Got some more weathering to do to blend it together.

Opa George

I really like it. And that side porch will be ideal for detailing if you decide to!
--George

PainTrain

Yeah I'm thinking of getting a vending machine casting and maybe a a chair to put on there later.  For now, I think I'm done with this build.

The next kit I plan on doing will have a base, casting details, and I'd like to light it as well.

NEMMRRC

Nice build.

Where do you buy those hefty metal square blocks? I need some of those.

Thanks.

Jaime

PainTrain

They're called mechanics blocks, and I got these ones off amazon.  A pair will run you about $20 plus shipping since they've got some heft to them.  They do come covered in oil to prevent rusting.  Not the best for modeling, so you may want to wash them before adding them to your workbench.

JimF

Jaime, they are also called 1-2-3 blocks (for the most common size of 1"x2"x3")

I bought my 1st set locally, at a industrial tool supplier. I have my second set coming today, via Amazon, for about @20., as was mentioned. Wife and I have a Prime account, so shipping was free.

Also have a set of 6 hockey pucks coming via Amazon, today. Good for simple weights.

Jim

NEMMRRC

Quote from: PainTrain on December 15, 2019, 01:38:24 AM
They're called mechanics blocks, and I got these ones off amazon.  A pair will run you about $20 plus shipping since they've got some heft to them.  They do come covered in oil to prevent rusting.  Not the best for modeling, so you may want to wash them before adding them to your workbench.
Thanks!

I have some metal squares I bought from Micro Mark and they were covered in oil. I cleaned them of the oil and now they are rusted. Catch 20-20...

Jaime