RailroadKits Gas 'n Go

Started by Oldguy, March 21, 2020, 10:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Hmm, seems I'm not taking photos as I should. 

I got the walls painted and mocked up the diner portion.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Walls look just great so far.

Karl

Oldguy

Been working on the cafe addition.  My first want was to keep the roof pitch the same.  A quick check put a stop to that.  I didn't catch that the two windows weren't placed the same.  I did make a paper mock up of my design and barreled ahead. 

My planning sucks.  Mental note - don't add bracing before laying out the cut outs.  I eventually got everything laid out and even with the bracing, I still drill out holes in the corners.  I was hoping that maybe, just maybe, I could use one of the three X-acto saw blades that I have so I wouldn't have rely on my cutting skills.  No luck.  But it all worked out.
The kit includes some Art-Deco looking gas pumps.  But they require a gas logo inset into the globe.  I did manage to find a decent looking Texaco sign, and saved it Word.  I didn't realize that Word photo tools included a background removal option.  That done, I could reduce the sign down to my required 1/8".  The printed sheet has some signs with the background and some with out.  Yes, I do have Photoshop, attended a clinic in KC on how to use it, but it is still all Icelandic to me.  So Word remains as my go to option.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Getting closer to putting this together.  The majority of the windows are double hung, requiring two panes of 0.05" clear styrene for each.  II finally got them all installed.  I added some curtains and blinds to the windows. 

Working on the balcony riling is a pain, but managed to cut one of the balusters in half. These would normally go against the clapboard siding. Well, in half may be generous. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

Love the colors , fits a gas station , they wanted to stick out didn't they.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Opa George

I agree with Jan--it really looks like an old gas station.  Nice work on the walls.
--Opa George

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

It coming along quite nicely. The coloring on the walls looks really good. Can't wait to see how it looks assembled.

Karl

Oldguy

Jan, Opa, and Karl thanks, but it has been slow going.  I got the main building together and started to work on the signage for the restaurant add-on.
I've named the restaurant after my mother, Mary Lucille.  I will admit, that I have never tried to add a sign like this as it being "painted",  So I followed all the excellent how-tos in the various builds here.  I could have sanded off a little more.  But, it's a start.

I also made some basic signage for the entrance side, but got the font size wrong.  So back to Excel and try again tomorrow.
I had to cut the hobby time short as we are expecting the septic pump out guy.  I don't think he has any issues on social distancing.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Finally gluing stuff up.  I thought I had extra shingles to cover the addition, but nope.  Then it occurred to me that I don't have any similar roof card.  So, I put in an order for some task board and shingles.  With the current state of things, Jimmy is still shut down so I couldn't ask about the kits shingles source.  But I can't blame him one bit.
Once the glue has set, then I need to cut out a base, install sidewalks around the station, a short foundation under the diner, figure out a concrete drive and parking area.  When this is all done the board and shingles should have arrived.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

MAP

Coming along nicely Bob.  I like the colors you chose as well.  Keep the progress pics coming.
Mark

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

glad to see you have the walls together. Looks just great. Love the colors and the weathering.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: postalkarl on April 05, 2020, 01:41:40 PM
Hey Bob:

glad to see you have the walls together. Looks just great. Love the colors and the weathering.

Karl
Appreciate it Karl.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

So, I built a sidewalk for the front, around the right side and part of the back.  Then it occurred to me that I need some build up for gravel/concrete drive surface and what I just got finished isn't going to hack it.  I decided to double the depth by adding an extra layer of 0.06" plastic.  Stuff like this makes me glad that I bough a couple of pounds of "scrap" plastic from Downtown Deco. 

It will be some time before I will be able to post photos as both of my cameras bit the dust.  I had been using a Canon Power Shot SD1000.  Worked fabulously, until it didn't.  Then I went to my other Canon, an SX.  But the AA batteries had leaked all over and killed it.  I got a new unit on order and should arrive in a week or so.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Lynnb

Your build is coming along nicely , nice to see you're thinking out side the box with planning ahead for sidewalks road levels etc.
For the camera try some baking soda and water on the end of a Qtip or is it vinegar ? Lots on Youtube.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Oldguy

Quote from: Lynnb on April 08, 2020, 11:11:06 AM
Your build is coming along nicely , nice to see you're thinking out side the box with planning ahead for sidewalks road levels etc.
For the camera try some baking soda and water on the end of a Qtip or is it vinegar ? Lots on Youtube.
I've tried baking soda bit and it works up to a point.  I was way passed that.  It really kills me that I was that stupid to leave alkaline batteries in my back up camera.  I would have sworn that I had removed them years ago. 

I decided to glue my foundation down to the gaterfoam, but not the actual structure.  At least at this time.  I managed to get some kit signage installed, and found a Persian rug texture that I will draped over the upper balcony. 

I got my delivery of taskboard, so I can start on the roofs.  That'll be limited until my shingle order get delivered.  Boy I hate not having everything I need for a build.  Hate it.  Hate it.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond