What are your thoughts on weathering a model? Locos, Rollingstock or Structures

Started by tct855, September 04, 2017, 09:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tct855

With all the demand on manufacturers to produce more & more accurate detailed models, isn't proper weathering also part of your demand list?  Why is weathering always included & expected in modeling contests, but not our everyday modeling?

What is too light weathering for your models (just dusting)?
What is too heavy weathering for your models (de-stressed or altered parts)?

Should there be a monolithic weathering theme for your models (all light eveningly applied)?
Should there be a varied weathering theme (light, medium, heavy uneven throughout)?

Are your very rare or expensive models weathered?
Are very well well done weathered models or very poorly weathered models an a incentive or distraction to try weathering yourself? (ARE YOU AFRAID OR EXCITED OF WEATHERING?)

What say you?

tct855

My thoughts on weathering are:

Weathering is an inclusive finish part of modeling. (even a freshly washed prototype has weathering still on it).

I believe all models should be completed with varied amounts of weathering throughout.  I don't like to see a modeled town or unit train with all the same cookie cutter weathering applied.

I'm a bigger fan of realistic (as possible) or whimsical weathering over almost nil or very light weathering (if you're going to weather a model, then weather it!) Unless it's a particular newer prototype, which are few and far between.

I think any modeler who weathers him or herself is the best weathering (irregardless of ones ability) (there's always someone better or worst than you).   The point is, weathering is any other equal part of modeling, one must practice to improve.

The best part of weathering allows me to cover up all my mistakes on building or painting or detailing models.  ;D   
                                  Thanx Thom...

BandOGuy

Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

bparrish

Thom....

You come up with the best questions........

Weathering is a subjective thing that is in the eye of the modeler.  Some modelers want they pike to look like the world ought to be, as they see it.  Clean not too shinny and orderly.  Then there is George.........

Most of us are somewhere in between.

My thoughts are these:

Structures are going to weather differently only altered by the perceived age of the modeled building; ten years old or fifty years old, side by side.  They will look different for a myriad of reasons. But one thing will be common to all structures on a given railroad.  Dirt.  The dirt found in an area will be common to all weathered buildings  in a town.

Not so much with rolling stock.

If you are modeling a short line where everything is close by, then the same notions of local dirt hold up.

But..... if you are modeling an interchange then you have random cars coming onto your railroad from all over the place.  Most notably cars that have traversed the deep south with the deep red dirt of Georgia.

There is a similar orange dirt that comes out of the desert south west.

Cars crossing the great basin of Nevada will come out with a cement grey coating that gets into everything.

On my railroad there is a fair amount of weathering but with rolling stock I do something a bit different.  When a new car goes on the rails it has nearly no weathering.  About once a  year I run standards on all cars; wheel gauge, coupler height and wheel flange cleaning.  When those new clean cars come across the bench they then get a bit of weathering and a notation on the roster is made for first stage.  I have no problem finding them the first trip across. The second year they get the second hit of grunge and that is where it will be forever.

It is interesting to note when my operators make a comment about some car that seems to have changed but they can't quite put their finger on what I might have done.

This is a great hobby.

thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Boxcar

Thom,

You bring up a great topic.. Mostly, the scenic area defines the area to be weathered.. But if anything, as you state, everything needs to be weathered.. even a newly washed and waxed car still have some weathering to it.. Anyhow, great topic! Dan

bparrish

deemery

I enjoy weathering both because it helps my models look better and because there are so many different techniques to try.  Weathering is one thing that I'm never bored doing.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

bagman

Whatever you think looks best works for me Thom !
You have a done a great job over the years on my loco's and rolling stock.

That being said, I agree with the thoughts of Chairman Bob. Weathering is very subjective and I believe he is correct in saying that most people sit somewhere in the middle.

What I look for is a "goldilocks approach"...not too much but just enough to take the shine off loco's, freight cars and structures etc.
But that's just me....I can understand why other people like to go the whole hog and weather something so it replicates the real world.

As has often been quoted in the past, it's your model railroad and you can do what you want no matter what other people think.

Now get back to weathering those cars I sent you Thom !

D

tct855

Cars you sent me?

Huh?

Me no speaka Australian? :-X

bparrish

Wow....

I got a promotion. 

The Bagman addressed me as  chairman

Not sure what the job description but I guess I'm ok with it. 

See ya
Bob

ReadingBob

I think the previous answers sum things up pretty well.  I'll just add that, in my humble opinion, 0% weathering equals toy like in appearance.  Everything can use some degree of weathering slight as it may be.

Applying an A&I wash to darken the recessed areas (to emulate shadows) and dry-brushing a lighter color to highlight the raised surfaces (to emulate light) is the minimum amount of weathering, if you want to call it that, that I'd consider on structures and structure details.  I guess you could argue that doing that is not really weathering as opposed to adding things like rust streaks/stains, oil spills, grime, etc.

I'm still a neophyte when it comes to rolling stock and locomotives.  It is a skill I want to develop though.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Like Reading Bob, I feel the answers are pretty standard. However, I'll add my .03 cents worth.

Also, like Bob Parrish stated, weathering is very subjective.

When I was professionally painting brass locos, the weathering issue was the most contentious subject.

What I call light weathering, you may see it as moderate or medium. I had several categories for weathering. They were a very light dusting, light, moderate, medium, heavy, used but not abused and used and abused.

Most of my customers just wanted a nice semi-gloss or satin finish to the locomotive.

I think freight cars should have a little bit of everything regarding weathering. Locomotives, steam and diesel, your choice.

I haven't weathered any passenger equipment as yet but I'll make the cars pretty much the same in regards to weathering. I plan on having  my passenger equipment and locos weathered with a light dusting or light weathering.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

adm.nelson

This is coming in a bit late, just exploring the threads.

I weather almost everything I model, or build myself, but I try to keep the weathering to the specific area the model is in. Like a truck in a foundry will be pretty dusty black, compared to other vehicles from, well, anywhere else. That includes freight cars, buildings, vehicles, and locomotives, that is if I get a hankering to re-paint or even paint at all, like an undecorated loco.

Now if I have a brand new painted brass loco, I want to weather it, but I have that, "I really hate to mess this up" syndrome, so I tend to leave it. Same with many other locos, like Paragon's 2-8-8-2 engines, they cost a lot, and I don't want to mess it up, plus, I have many engines to do, where does one start?

Now, recently, I sent two 2-8-0 N&W unpainted brass locomotives to a person in New York to paint, weather and synchronize them for better performance, re-motoring if needed. He came highly recommended, and this is the first time I have done this.

But, in he end, I prefer weathering, and after a while, even that shiny new brass loco might succumb to some weathering, and if I start on a lesser model, I usually get some confidence built up in my belt.

Lynnb

I like to weather everything and at the same time when I paint I tend to ting every color or shade or tone, never a stark brite color out of the container. Anyone that knows of Sellios layout knows he likes to weather and I believe tends to do alot with Earth color for drybrushing. My layout is freelance and I tend to model in the 20's which to me was alays a dirty time, this is just my thoughts anyways.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

GPdemayo

I think everything needs a little weathering just to make it look real and not toy-like.....I confine mine to structures at present, not locos. With the cost of a good steam engine these days, I need a lot more practice on freight cars before I can tackle an engine.

Welcome to the forum Boxcar.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL