Railways & sleepers....?

Started by Polux, September 20, 2017, 05:03:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polux

Hi all!

Help, please!!! :)
Which is the best way to paint and weathering the railways and the sleepers??
It will be at HO scale.

Any advice is more than welcome!
Thanks ;)

tct855

Hi Pol.lux,
         First things first.  What's your name? Sorry I'm a little slow here.  Next to answer your question on best way of painting railways & sleepers.  At the risk of sounding a bit sterile.  There is no best way (really).

It's what works best for you is the (best) way. Having said that, I would suggest research a little bit more in detail with layouts that reflect the sense you like and then inquire how they achieved their goals.

For me, I would say on the base of the layout I would paint an earth color then let your ground cover to color in the layout naturally as you add in layers over time.  As for the sleepers.  I would paint the rail sides first various colors that reflect the age and condition you're lookin' for. (Hand painting is fine, but airbrushing covers bigger areas more quickly) and (is a great way to practice using an airbrush if one is not that familiar).

Next I would paint the sleepers (ties) to reflect the condition as well you are seeking.  (again airbrush can cover quicker for me) One note: Don't paint all ties the same condition and same one color.  Variety is the spice of modeling!

You have many options for coloring sleepers.  Hand painting, airbrushing, dry brushing & dry powders.  So like I said at the beginning.  Research, research, research!  Hope this helps.  I'm sure many more experienced can give you many more options for your question. (hopefully I understand the question correctly)?  If not... nevermind!  ha. Thanx Thom...

deemery

What's your modeling era?  Creosoted ties look different from untreated ties. 

For creosote, you want a dark chocolate brown.  For untreated ties, the base color should be a lighter grey. 

The approach I've been using is as follows (my railroad is set in the 1890s, so untreated ties)
1.  Put a light coat of oil on the rail head.
2.  Spraypaint the whole track a light grey
3.  Add washes of light brown, dark brown, and then drybrush with beige or even white.
4.  Paint the rails and spikes a dark rusty brown
5.  Wipe the oil and paint off the rail heads.  Touch up rail paint if needed.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

JusticeCity

Find out what the freight and/or engines you are going to run and then bring those tones/hues into the sleepers. I find stains and then chalks help achieve that.

Polux

Quote from: tct855 on September 20, 2017, 08:47:05 AM
Hi Pol.lux,
         First things first.  What's your name?

Hi Thom!
My real name is Pol.lux or Pólux if you prefer, both are correct and valid.
And I'm from Catalonia (if tomorrow still existing....)

Polux

Hi Pol.lux,
         First things first.  What's your name? Sorry I'm a little slow here.  Next to answer your question on best way of painting railways & sleepers.  At the risk of sounding a bit sterile.  There is no best way (really).

It's what works best for you is the (best) way. Having said that, I would suggest research a little bit more in detail with layouts that reflect the sense you like and then inquire how they achieved their goals.

For me, I would say on the base of the layout I would paint an earth color then let your ground cover to color in the layout naturally as you add in layers over time.  As for the sleepers.  I would paint the rail sides first various colors that reflect the age and condition you're lookin' for. (Hand painting is fine, but airbrushing covers bigger areas more quickly) and (is a great way to practice using an airbrush if one is not that familiar).

Next I would paint the sleepers (ties) to reflect the condition as well you are seeking.  (again airbrush can cover quicker for me) One note: Don't paint all ties the same condition and same one color.  Variety is the spice of modeling!

You have many options for coloring sleepers.  Hand painting, airbrushing, dry brushing & dry powders.  So like I said at the beginning.  Research, research, research!  Hope this helps.  I'm sure many more experienced can give you many more options for your question. (hopefully I understand the question correctly)?  If not... nevermind!  ha. Thanx Thom...

Really it will work!!!
Thank you very much for the advice ;)

Polux

Quote from: deemery on September 20, 2017, 09:07:15 AM
What's your modeling era? 

Hi Dave.
I haven't any specially....they will be part of my project "The Lake's Ruin".
I'm looking for a real weathered rails. Old and abandoned!

I suppose the era will be 1980".
My planing is build a locomotive type LKM NS2f. or similar.

Thank you very much for your help!

Polux

Quote from: JusticeCity on September 20, 2017, 09:46:59 AM
Find out what the freight and/or engines you are going to run and then bring those tones/hues into the sleepers. I find stains and then chalks help achieve that.

Yep!! Will do!
Thanks ;)

tct855

Quote from: Pol.lux on September 20, 2017, 10:53:44 AM
Hi Pol.lux,

Hi Thom!

Pólux,
           Hola, cómo estás?  Espero que estés alrededor mañana.   

I like the era you're thinking.  There's some awesome modeling possibilities.  Weathering is always the best to help blend all colors in together.  Can't wait to see the progress pictures as you build.  Thanx Thom...

BandOGuy

Sorry, but it took me 2 1/2 years to best two years of high school Spanish 57 years ago, so I'll have to respond in "English".
If you are using flex track (pre-assembled) the air brush technique sounds best. If, however, you are going to hand lay your rails, you can vary the stain colors and mix the results up when you put ties on the roadbed. if your maintenance of way guys are good, an occasional tie could be dyed to look as if it has just been replaced. If your railroad is teetering on bankruptcy, everything will look old and worn out.
Glad I read the other responses first as I had forgotten that ties (over there) are also known as sleepers. I must have been asleep when I first read the question. That's why it took me so long to pass Spanish also.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

deemery

We've been to Catalunya a couple of times, and I know enough to apologize for speaking (very bad) Spanish :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Polux

Quote from: tct855 on September 20, 2017, 12:03:59 PM
Quote from: Pol.lux on September 20, 2017, 10:53:44 AM
Hi Pol.lux,

Hi Thom!

Pólux,
           Hola, cómo estás?  Espero que estés alrededor mañana.   

I like the era you're thinking.  There's some awesome modeling possibilities.  Weathering is always the best to help blend all colors in together.  Can't wait to see the progress pictures as you build.  Thanx Thom...

Wow! That's, simply, a magnificent picture!
Many, many thanks ;)

Polux

Quote from: BandOGuy on September 20, 2017, 01:23:36 PM
Sorry, but it took me 2 1/2 years to best two years of high school Spanish 57 years ago, so I'll have to respond in "English".
If you are using flex track (pre-assembled) the air brush technique sounds best. If, however, you are going to hand lay your rails, you can vary the stain colors and mix the results up when you put ties on the roadbed. if your maintenance of way guys are good, an occasional tie could be dyed to look as if it has just been replaced. If your railroad is teetering on bankruptcy, everything will look old and worn out.
Glad I read the other responses first as I had forgotten that ties (over there) are also known as sleepers. I must have been asleep when I first read the question. That's why it took me so long to pass Spanish also.

That's another great advice.
I'm the "foreigner" on the forum....so it's me who must write more "correctly" as possible!!