RSM Delwins Boat & Net Storage build.

Started by ACL1504, May 02, 2015, 03:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: SteveCuster on August 29, 2016, 08:40:56 PM
Looks good Tom, I think this is very cool kit. I saw another one build up with the optional lighting kit and I was very impressed.

-Steve

Steve,

Appreciate you stopping by and thank you for the compliment. I have the lighting kit for Delwin's and plan on adding the lights as I go. It will be a great mini scene on the layout.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on August 29, 2016, 09:20:41 PM
I think this will really be a "Show Piece" when you get it put on the layout.

I am looking forward to that moment.

Jim

Butty Jim,

Thanks very much and I agree, this one will really look good in the Suwannee River basin. I'm also looking forward to that moment.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: TheUkranian on August 30, 2016, 08:23:09 AM
Glad to see it back, Tom.

Vilius

Villius,

Thanks for stopping by. I'm happy to be back working on it.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I got a little more done on Delwin's the past few days. When I first put together the diorama base, I raised the real estate 1/8 inch. This was over a year ago so when it came time to cut the main structure pilings, I cut them 1/8 inch short. So back to staining more dowels and cutting the new length of 1 1/8 inch.

Fourteen total are used on the main structure.

In the next photo you can see the shorter one. Now I have fourteen pilings to use elsewhere on the diorama.

Live and learn and move on, right?

I also installed the exterior end rafters and 66 rafter tails on the sides, 33 on each side.

Not continued in few. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jimmillho

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 04, 2016, 05:51:54 PM

What happened, did you run out of DP ?????

Jim

Janbouli

Beautiful faded wood color Tom, is it a stain or paint?
I love photo's, don't we all.

postalkarl

Mecrr22

I look forward to seeing this someday, will you have it done for the NMRA national meet next year I am assuming you'll be on the layout tours would love to see the layout.  Your so near but yet so far. Scott H. Bradenton Fl
Scott Hurley (MECRR22)

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on September 04, 2016, 07:37:45 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on September 04, 2016, 05:51:54 PM

What happened, did you run out of DP ??? ??

Jim

Actually, YES :'( :'( :'( :'(

I'm all better now. :-*

Tom 8)

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Janbouli on September 04, 2016, 07:54:16 PM
Beautiful faded wood color Tom, is it a stain or paint?

Jan,

Thank you! Great question for inquiring minds. The red on the main warehouse started out as Floquil Zinc Chromate Primer. I thinned it considerably with thinner to make it a stain when applied.

You can review page five of the thread for the painting of the walls.

The pilings are Hunterline  Weathering Mix Cordovan Brown stain (A&I).

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Mecrr22 on September 04, 2016, 09:50:22 PM
I look forward to seeing this someday, will you have it done for the NMRA national meet next year I am assuming you'll be on the layout tours would love to see the layout.  Your so near but yet so far. Scott H. Bradenton Fl

Scott,

Thank you for following along.

YES, I'm on the NMRA tour for July 2017. YES, I'll have this structure and many others finished for the show.

You are welcome to come visit anytime when you are in the area.

http://nmra2017.org/Program/RailroadingTours/LayoutTours.aspx

I'm still waiting for them to post some of the photos I've sent for the tour.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I have an update but have no pictures to show.

This is what I keep getting from the forum-

Unable to load the 'gallery_above' template

It seems like when they updated the server they didn't get it all put back! Just saying.

Tom
;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Okay, It's working again.

In the instructions Dario said he used Magic Water. He suggested using Matte Medium on the pilings to keep the water from "wicking" up the pilings. He said not to worry as the matte medium dries clear.

I tried it - :'( :'(

It obviously goes on white.

More in a few. A Diet Pepsi is needed now. ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Well, after an hour it wasn't exactly "clear" but left a little white/milky residue.

You can see I also started to add the bracing for the pilings. The horizontal bracing was added first followed by the cross bracing.

I applied another coat of weathering mix on the pilings so the milky white doesn't look that bad. I won't use the matte medium on the rest of the dock pilings.

The good news here is that the piling shown above won't be easily viewed as the main dock sits in front of the main warehouse pilings.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com