FSM Duffy's Coal Yard

Started by vinceg, December 28, 2017, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinceg

I have never posted a pic before. Thought I would try to start sharing. I can see I have some work to do to get my image sizes skinnied down. I did this diorama a few years ago. Can't even recall how long...five years at least, I reckon. Since then I have been on a long hiatus (aka, "job") and only recently are things lightening up to the point where I can get back to the hobby. I still have a lot of wiring and some track work to do before I can actually start placing some structures, but am hoping 2018 will see some of that work. One thing I think I realize now is that the "diorama" approach, while fun to look at, seems to be impractical for using a large collection of buildings on the layout. I am expecting that going forward I will be better off building the structures and siting them directly on the layout...combining kits for more sizable, realistic industrial businesses. Anyway, a discussion for a later day (although I would love to get comments on the topic...I have zillions of FSM and SRMW kits waiting for attention). Here are a few pics. (Clearly need to get better at picture composition as well.)

Cheers,
Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

ACL1504

Vince,

Beautiful work/modeling on the diorama. Oh, and welcome to the forum. Look forward to more of your projects.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Vince

Again, welcome to the forum and that's some mighty fine modeling.  Thanks for sharing it with us. 

I like the big pictures - if you make them skinny enough to fit the post frame you will loose some detail. All you have to do is use the scroll bar at the bottom of the picture to move the picture over.  You will find that some forum members don't agree with me on this but I like the detail. 

I'm looking forward to following your builds.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

EricQuebec

Very nice Dio !
don't hesitate to post another pictures... 'cause we love  pictures....
Eric Quebec city

postalkarl

Hi Vince:

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very nicely done.

Karl

Zephyrus52246

Great work, Vince.  Welcome to the forum

Jeff

engine909

Vince, Great modeling and the pictures are a joy to look at. Well done. That size is good by me. Thank you for sharing, and welcome aboard.
ed

vinceg

Thanks to everyone for all the kind words. And also thanks for all the warm welcomes both in forums and via personal notes.

The whole craftsman kit thing has been a surprising experience for me. As a kid (this was....um....a while ago), I used to love to build models - the usual thing, right?...cars, ships, and airplanes. My results were almost universally....not to put too fine a point on it....crummy. I even managed to botch some Plasticville buildings (still think I have a few of those hiding in the basement somewhere). Fast forward a lot of years and I start to notice things like magazine articles, clubs, and hobby shop cabinets where there are beautiful displays of impeccably-built structures from kits and from scratch. I refused to try to build one because I would open the kits at the stores, see a box full of sticks and then just slink away knowing I couldn't get there from here. "A man's gotta know his limitations," right? Then one day I wandered into a hobby shop where they were blowing out a copy of FSM's Barongould's Tannery kit (discounted because it had been started -- very minor "damage" though). The owner noticed me staring and it and took it upon himself to talk me off the ledge with respect to trying a kit (of course he obviously had a stake in it, too). He pulled out the instructions and assured me that "George teaches you exactly how to build this kit." So, I took the plunge. Took my time. Couldn't believe the results (for me, at least). I built a couple more since then but my craftsman kit collecting addiction had been born. I will get the craftsman kit building binge into full swing in the next several months as well, but it turns out that buying is easier than building. Who knew?

What's the point? The point is that I am on vacation this week and have too much free time to spend in forums. No, wait. That's not the point. I think the point is that the results a relatively skill-less modeler (me) can get with these kits really speaks to the quality of the products FSM, South River Model Works, FOS Scale Models, Bar Mills, many others) produce (or did produce in the case of FSM and SRMW). And their efforts have had a significant positive impact on the enjoyment I get from the hobby. My thanks to all of them.

Heh....after writing this, I now have a hankerin' to go through some boxes and see if I can find my old "Hillside Lumber & Millwork" model. Anybody remember that? I could post pics of that, too. Shiny, paintless plastic, glue blobs, misaligned parts. Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about.

Cheers,
Vince
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Polux

Magnificent work Vince! And welcome to the forum  ;)

Janbouli

Wow , love it , all of it , but your roofing and roading are especially WOW.
I love photo's, don't we all.

fbernard65

Vince,

Great job on the kit.  This is and Jeffries' Point are my favorite FSM kits.

Frank

cuse

Beautiful work and welcome!

John

GPdemayo

Great work Vince and welcome to the forum..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

fsmcollector67

Very nice build Vince....looking forward to more of your work in the future...and welcome aboard...
Loren...
9 Fingers Loren.....
"Watch out for that #11 Blade"

Mark Dalrymple

Great work, Vince.

In reference to your sort of question about building structures to put straight on the layout - I have found 'chunking' my layout into sections (usually oddly shaped) that are small enough to work at on a large work bench, and then installing them on the layout, works well for me.  My 'chunks' are somewhere in the vicinity if 2 - 6 square feet - depending on what works.  I move the chunk in and out of its place on the layout as I progress to check how it works as a whole, and to make sure I don't waste time on parts that can't be seen while viewing.  In this way I can build multi structure complexes in one go.  I do try to mock up the entire section of the layout before building.

Cheers, Mark.