FOS Bandits Roost

Started by Opa George, October 14, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

George,

Wow, what a fantastic looking scene. Just wonderful.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

Tom, thanks, glad you like it so far.

I've been working on the scenery a bit, roughing it in. Below are some shots of Ragged Edge, featuring the Bandit's Roost area.  I installed a narrow gauge line to connect this small town, clinging to the side of a coastal hill, to the rest of civilization.  You can see the track in the foreground.  Please excuse all the background workbench detritus.

This is where the sewers empty into the industrial canal.  The water is acrylic paint with a first coat of Mod Podge.  It will take a good 10-12 coats to get a nice water effect.

Here is a detail shot of the canal passing behind the lower part of town.  Oops, I see I got some green paint on one of the pilings. That is due for a touch-up.  Keep in mind in all these shots, I have lots of additional scenicking to do, not to mention a ton of detail work. I have some big plans for this area.  The sewer system, partially visible through the stone arches at the rear, is visible from both the front and back when you get up close and/or look down into it from above. It continues out through another arch to the back of the module.

Here is the overall module from the front. The trolley is making a stop.  I was seduced by this model and picked it up for a song on eBay.  I was really surprised by the nice level of detail for a $15 model.  It is distinctly European and will require some modifications to Americanize it.  But plenty of time for that.  The narrow gauge trolley line extends to the left and will (eventually) cross a swamp on a wooden lowboy trestle before disappearing into a tunnel.

Lots more to do, but I am pleased with my progress.  I'll keep posting pics as the scenery gets going.
--Opa George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Mark Dalrymple

Coming on very well, George.

Cheers, Mark.

Janbouli

Looking great , love the trolley.
I love photo's, don't we all.

Opa George

Thank you, Curt, Mark and Jan. 

Jan, the trolley is not powered and in fact is the wrong gauge for the track.  For some reason, I was under the impression that this line of HO "trams" were all HOn30, so that was the track I ordered (Peco HOn30 flex track).  Unfortunately, once the track arrived, I discovered the tram/trolley wheels were too wide. Must actually be HOn3.   :o

So I may be looking to change the wheel sets to fit the track. In the meantime, it is just centered on the track, but not actually on the rails!  The nice thing is, it sits low enough that you can't tell.
--Opa George

Opa George

I've added more structural details and stuff to help hide the joints between the various plaster and cardboard land form components. There are still a few more of that type of things to build and add before going wild with the natural growth: dirt and groundcover, weeds, bushes, trees and vines. 

For now, here are some birds-eye views while the module is still on my workbench.  I was trying to get some light down into the sewer area for the pics and might have overdone it--the first two shots are a bit overlit.

and closer--slightly better view of the where the sewers empty into the canal:

Coming around the side toward the canal.

Looking down from the very top of Bandit's Roost.  It is 33 scale feet from lower street level to the factory first floor loading dock, and about 90 scale feet from the canal to the top of the factory.  This is about what I was going for--dramatic height difference in an abbreviated space.

View from Bandit's Roost down into the lower town and canal.

--Opa George

PRR Modeler

Very impressive George.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey George:

Wow that's really looking just great.

Karl

Opa George

Thanks so much, Curt and Karl. 
--Opa George

sdrees

A very complicated and well built project.  Turned out very nice.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Opa George

Thanks very much, Steve.  Although complicated, it has also been thoroughly enjoyable.

As the biggest job remaining is adding foliage, I may call this thread finished so that I can start my companion project and new thread, FOS Rust Rock Falls, which will connect to this module and occupy the high ground right next to it.

I will probably do one more post with a summary of my experiences with this kit.

George

Jerry

George just getting caught up.  Well done!!

Scenery part is coming along nicely.  Keep up the great work.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Opa George

Thank you, Jerry!

Here are some more scenery pics.  I have the module in place on the layout, which unfortunately is a poorly-lit corner of my basement.  More overhead lights coming soon, but for now please excuse the dungeon look.

and some images with the camera flash on:

and a birds-eye view:

Still need to add foliage, but I have decided to add a structure (probably a Bar Mills kit, of which I have a few on hand) to the green swath at the top of the hill where the road makes its switch-back climb.  So I'll get the extra structure in place so I can better judge where to plant some tall, tall trees and add lots of weedy undergrowth to the swamp.

--Opa George

cuse

Love it...the kind of scene you can get lost in....so many directions for the eyes to wander and find more

John