The Atlantic and Southern Build Thread Continued, Part 3

Started by ACL1504, August 30, 2018, 03:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on July 21, 2020, 07:15:00 PM
It's great to see you working on the layout again.

Curt,

Thanks and I agree, it's nice to be back doing something other than brass.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jerry on July 22, 2020, 09:11:16 AM
That's a pretty good size river!

Great start it will be fun watching this all come together.

Jerry

Jerry,

Yes, it is. This is why I'm planning on adding a structure or two and shoreline scenery. I have a few fantastic cypress trees to add to the banks.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Jim Donovan on July 22, 2020, 09:24:24 AM
I agree with Jerry, big river, is it the St. Johns or Suwanee?  I use to fish on the St Johns south of Jacksonville. It sure was wide and wonderful. Caught my largest bass (little over 8 pounds) from the Green Cove area. Also caught a 3 pound Flounder there! I think that's about 30 miles from the river's mouth.

Jim D

Jim,

Thanks for stopping by. This is the Big Tahope River, fictional of course.

I'm very familiar with the Green Cove Springs area. I attended Bolles Military School in south Jacksonville in the early 60's. The school was located across from the Jax. Naval Air Station on the St. Johns River. I think the river was close to 1/2 mile across at that point.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Glad to see you back at it.....looking forward to seeing how the river scene comes together.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Blazeman

While I would selfishly prefer to see you post something daily documenting layout progress, I'm impressed by how you are able to work on the layout for a stretch, then a structure, then painting brass, and back and forth while giving the Mrs. attention as well along with your domestic duties.

Well done, Tom.  Example for all of us.   

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

Great bridges. they will look great when completely installed.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 22, 2020, 11:23:01 AM
Glad to see you back at it.....looking forward to seeing how the river scene comes together.  :)

Greg,

Glsd to be back at it as well. In the coming weeks, I'm taking a break from running, painting, fixing/repairing trains and concentrate 100% on the river area to get it done.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on July 24, 2020, 06:56:54 AM
While I would selfishly prefer to see you post something daily documenting layout progress, I'm impressed by how you are able to work on the layout for a stretch, then a structure, then painting brass, and back and forth while giving the Mrs. attention as well along with your domestic duties.

Well done, Tom.  Example for all of us.

Larry,

Thank you for the kind compliment. I do try to keep my skills going on all fronts. LOL, the front most important is the domestic one. A guy just can't let any weeds grow in the fruit garden.

Again, thank you very much.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on July 24, 2020, 08:05:14 AM
Hey Tom:

Great bridges. they will look great when completely installed.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you also for the kind words. I do want to get this area, the bridge and river, finished sooner rather than later. I have many neat ideas for the river area.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This morning I used some spackling compound to cover the screw impressions and the rough spots on the plywood surface.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

When the spackle was dry, I painted the area with full strength Golden Fluid Acrylics Raw Umber.

This is one of two coats to seal the area. Later, I'll use other Golden Brand Acrylics colors to color the river area.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Blazeman

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 26, 2020, 06:07:48 PM
When the spackle was dry, I painted the area with full strength Golden Fluid Acrylics Raw Umber.

This is one of two coats to seal the area. Later, I'll use other Golden Brand Acrylics colors to color the river area.

This is certainly timely for me.  I'm roughing out a scene for my layout inspired by the MEC trestle and bridge at Wiscasset where it traverses the Sheepscot River and the mud flats. I'll be focusing on your colors for the water and muds.

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on July 27, 2020, 08:37:40 AM
Quote from: ACL1504 on July 26, 2020, 06:07:48 PM

This is certainly timely for me.  I'm roughing out a scene for my layout inspired by the MEC trestle and bridge at Wiscasset where it traverses the Sheepscot River and the mud flats. I'll be focusing on your colors for the water and muds.

Larry,

Thanks for following along on this adventure. I'll be doing the river colors in the next few days. I'll show you what colors I'm using and how I do it.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Nothing to show here but this morning I put the second and final base coat on the river. Next will be the additional coloring of the river.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

this scene is coming along quite well. Can't wait to see it finished.

Karl