Saulenas & Bail Bonds

Started by Opa George, June 07, 2019, 05:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Looks great George!  Interesting color combinations.  I doubt I would have ever thought of using them but I think they look good.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Opa George

Quote from: ReadingBob on June 21, 2019, 10:36:40 AM
Looks great George!  Interesting color combinations.  I doubt I would have ever thought of using them but I think they look good.   :)

Thanks, Bob. I've been trying to get more daring with my colors, lately. I used three colors for the Saulenas building and five on this one: three shades of blue, plus white and yellow. The blues predominate, of course, with white as an accent and trim. Yellow is only used on the storefront.
--George

Opa George

Time for more work on the rooftop.  The second floor above the jewelry store is a dance hall, so I figured a rooftop dance floor would be a nice feature.  Several vacation spot and seashore dance halls and jazz clubs advertised rooftop dancing. 

Here, I used some leftover scribed siding to install walls along the front and sides of the building. The rear will face the bay, so I did not want to block the patrons' view.

Although I love angled roofs and the interest they give, I need an unbroken straight run to accommodate the jewelry store sign, so I used scrap from the cornice carrier sheets to "fill in" the flat cornice top on the front and right-hand side.

Pardon the blurry picture--I'll post a few better pics later.  I used pre-assembled die-cut sheets of decorative round shingles, painted dark blue, to roof over the space between the rooftop walls and the cornice edge.  Here is the view of the rooftop dance floor with roof access tentatively located.  I need to play around with the various components that will make up this space, so all is still in the planning/exploration stage.

By the way, the flat roofing is used 220 grit sandpaper painted in Rustoleum camo khaki.  For the "I should have known this" file:  cutting sandpaper into roofing paper strips really chews up a razor knife blade!  The blade had no edge and was completely useless by the time I was done.

Here is a view of the building front with the roof in place.  The dark blue paint has much more of a sheen that I had hoped, but that will be easy to remove with some weathering chalks later.  I will also use drybrushing to highlight and bring out the texture of the round shingles.

Lots more coming up.
--George

deemery

I've had good luck using chalks and Pan Pastels on shingles.  Try using some blue in an early coat, that works surprisingly well to get a slaty appearance.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Opa George

Quote from: deemery on June 27, 2019, 08:49:12 AM
I've had good luck using chalks and Pan Pastels on shingles.  Try using some blue in an early coat, that works surprisingly well to get a slaty appearance.

dave
Excellent tip, Dave. I will try that. Thanks!
--George

PRR Modeler

Really nice modeling George.
Curt Webb

jerryrbeach

George,

Just getting caught up with this thread.  I love both the concept and execution.  Looking forward to seeing these structures in place on your layout.
Jerry

JimF

George,

Using the 2 structures like that is excellent, love the colors you are using. The mansard roof is a very interesting change, though I hate the things. Just a personal thing, after so many diners in the 70's were 'modernized' with one.

You're work is excellent, real inspiration.

Jim

postalkarl

Hey George:

Looking real nice. Like that roof.

Karl

Opa George

Thanks for the comments, Curt, Jerry, Jim and Karl.
Here is the beginning of the rooftop dance floor construction. I put in a wooden dance floor and a band stand.

More progress on the roof. Most of the trellis work is done.

Also started to add some signs. The shop is on Mermaid Avenue, hence the name Mermaid Jewelry.  The dance club is upstairs.

Side view.

Word got around quick--we have a band and patrons.

More roof work to come, plus I haven't even begun the news stand part of the kit yet.
--George

sdrees

Coming along very nicely George.
Steve Drees
SP RR

Dennis Bourey

Very nicely done!!!!
Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

JimF

WOW! Excellent, George. Love what your imagination comes up with. (Lots of ideas for the rest of us to steal, um, er, I mean, borrow LOL)

Jim