Lighting Bar Mills Sokol's Furniture and Mattress Company

Started by ReadingBob, November 27, 2015, 07:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbvb

Bob, right now I'm thinking hard about running an extra set of bus wires so I can turn my on-layout lights off with a single switch when they aren't appropriate.  I am far from the point where I'd want individual controls for parts of a single structure.
James

ReadingBob

Quote from: jbvb on November 30, 2015, 07:54:17 PM
Bob, right now I'm thinking hard about running an extra set of bus wires so I can turn my on-layout lights off with a single switch when they aren't appropriate.  I am far from the point where I'd want individual controls for parts of a single structure.

I'm not doing individual controls for parts of a structure either.  Everything will be connected to a common set of wires.  It could be broken out by floors, inside vs. outside, etc. but I'm not going the extra mile for that on this one.  I may do some of that on my next build but that remains to be seen.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Slim Jerkins

I always recommend running the lights off of their own power supply. It makes troubleshooting easier. especially with DCC systems and the like.

For turning lights on and off in what "appears" to be random, I use a structure lighting controller. It's one of those wee tiny boards, similar to any of the other simulators from Ngineering (like the arc welder, TV flickerer, etc) and it'll turn three LEDs on and off according to repeating schedule. This gives the building that "lived in" look. The output from this board can be boosted with a three channel booster. This will allow for more than one LED per channel to be switched on and off. A regular simulator board switches 25 milliamps at 5 volts DC. The booster board can switch up to 200 milliamps at 9 - 18 volts DC.

So, you can put one of those structure light simulators in a single structure or small diorama and use it to control three LEDs. Or - you can take a simulator board and booster and run four buses: one bus can be constantly on and the other three buses can come off of the booster board. If you have a structure (for example)  with a handful of lights that stay on and one that goes off and on occasionally you'll need to have three wires coming out of the structure: one negative (common), one to supply the lights that stay on and one to supply the light that switches on and off.  A sketch is probably in order here. I'll have to make one up and post it.

I guess everyone should be thoroughly confused by now.  ???

-slim

ReadingBob

Quote from: Slim Jerkins on December 01, 2015, 10:54:33 AMI guess everyone should be thoroughly confused by now.  ???

I am.   :o  But that sounds neat.  I'm want to try it on my next build.  The FOS Red Light District.  I'll have some questions for you (along with an order for supplies) when I finish Sokol's and get rolling on that one.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

deemery

An alternative to a controller wired to the lights would be some sort of DCC-controlled 'switch', along with an application (JMRI?) that controls/sequences the lights.

One could have a lot of fun with light animation and "specially selected little people" on a Red Light District.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

I like what Dave said about the lights being on a decoder. Since I've switched to the TCS WOW sound I have about 35 old decoders I can use for lighting.

I especially like what Slim said. I didn't understand any thing but the "I think a sketch is in order". ??? ???

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

donatode

It sounds sketchy to me .... so bring on the diagrams!!! ::)

S&S RR

Bob

Great thread! And you did a great job with the lights too.   I don't know how I missed this thread the last few weeks. I'm just getting started with all those LED's that Slim sold me too  ;) .  I plan to use a few for the Brambell's build and then go back and light the Stone Roundhouse that I built last year.  Your thread is going to be very helpful - thanks for sharing.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Slim Jerkins

OK - here's the first diagram...

Now keep in mind I don't manufacture these little buggers. If I did, I would make them bigger so that they're easier to work on. The good thing about the small size is that they can be hidden in the structure. The bad thing, as I mentioned, is that they're tiny.

I don't have this listed on my (boring-and-never-updated) website but I usually have some. they list for $14.95 but I sell them for about $12 I think. Have to check.

Next up will be the N8048C which is a controller for multiple N8048 simulator boards. Then I'll talk about the booster boards. The Ngineering simulators are great and well made but they're far from being "plug and play."

-slim

ReadingBob

Quote from: S&S RR on December 01, 2015, 08:00:54 PM
Bob

Great thread! And you did a great job with the lights too.   I don't know how I missed this thread the last few weeks. I'm just getting started with all those LED's that Slim sold me too  ;) .  I plan to use a few for the Brambell's build and then go back and light the Stone Roundhouse that I built last year.  Your thread is going to be very helpful - thanks for sharing.

Hi John,

I'm happy that you're finding this thread useful.  It's great to see everyone jump in and there comments and suggestions.  I'll tell ya', I'm no wiz when it comes to electrical stuff so if I can get this working there's no reason for anyone else not to give it a shot.   :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: deemery on December 01, 2015, 01:38:56 PMOne could have a lot of fun with light animation and "specially selected little people" on a Red Light District.

;) I'm searching for some of the "specially selected little people".  I know they're out there.  Those, in a room lit up using that neat little gizmo Slim showed us or even with the 'flickering' TV effect do present some interesting possibilities.    ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

jbvb

Bob, the "Sexy Scenes" products from Noch are fairly widely available, but under the counter in the US if you get my drift.  I saw similar products displayed in cases at train shows in Germany a few years ago, including some with animation...
James