Full function signal system

Started by DACS, January 14, 2016, 09:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DACS

Today, I finished a turnout interlock signal.  One of several coming.
I have not been able to find any ladder stock for these signal masts.  Peco makes them, but it seems no one in the U.S. carries them.
At least not what I have been able to find on the I-net or two local model railroad hobby stores.
Perhaps someone out there reading this, might know where I can get these here is the U.S.
So, I thought I would try my hand at etching my own.  Well, I know now that I can do it!  The pics on the bottom, show this first attempt.
It really did not turn out as I would have liked, but I know that the reason being is, I used brass stock that was too thick and it had to stay in the acid way to long!
My next attempt, I will use brass sheet that is much thinner.  I used .20mm brass shim stock.
Next time, I will use .10mm shim stock.  That may be way too thick also.  Perhaps I should try the next one with .05mm shim stock.  That certainly will not have to be in the acid very long.

Still needing a hood on the green aspect.

As you can see about midway up, the acid went right through the side rail.  I also need to find a permanent marker that has a lot finer tip.

I discovered that making your own etchings, is not a difficult thing to do.  I also learned that you better have the right thickness of brass or you will eat up what you are trying to make.  I also learned, that brass etches slower than copper.
All things you might all already know.

Dave

Seattle

I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

DACS

I have started showing too much signal.  I need to get back to the actual ABS part.  I have been working on some more drawings that I have been wanting to post, but making the signals got in the way.
I will catch up on these and begin posting actual signaling diagrams or schematics for you all to peruse.

Dave

Seattle
I am never having another birthday.  The candles for the cake are starting to cost too much!

DACS

Making pcb', for some of you, may not be something you are interested in doing.
Today after work, I am stopping by my local R.S. and purchase some experiment boards.  I will show how each board is to be wired and interconnected with these.
It is pricey to do it this way but, if you are not equipped or ready to make your own pcb's, the cost in the long run, kinda works out for you.
The size of theses boards are actually, close to the same size as the homemade PCb's.
Instead of sharing here the process of making your own boards, this may make all this more clear and easier to follow.
No insult intended for anyone's abilities mean here.
If you can make your own boards, let me know and I will share the needed info.

Dave

Seattle