FOS Bandits Roost

Started by Opa George, October 14, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, George.

The timber-work beneath the flat roof will make a nice touch, although it will make the building leaky.  Maybe you will need to address that in further weathering?  An exposed patch over the front wall with corresponding rot in the ceiling over the forecourt and water stains down the wall?

Cheers, mark.

Opa George

Mark, thanks for the extra weathering ideas for my bad roof.  I like them and will be adding a little more rot to the front ceiling and wall.

Below is the building with roof paper installed but not yet trimmed.  I allowed two distinct bare areas on the roof where the tar paper blew away.

Below is the same after some trimming, cutting away, tearing and weathering. I also added a Charlie Chaplin movie bill to the wall.  The image is not sharp, so I will post a few better views after I get the rooftop sign built and installed, which is the next step.

--George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

Nice weathering on the roof.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

ACL1504

George,

It's so horrible and nasty looking it looks fantastic. Well done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Todd W.

This kit is coming along fantastic George!  You always do killer work!  I love following your build threads!
Your railroad your way, it's your world.
http://hoscalecustoms.com

You can also follow us on instagram @ http://instagram.com/hoscalecustoms/

Opa George

Thanks, Curt, Jerry and Tom.  I love that comment, Tom. This really resembles the grungy corner garages of my childhood. Todd, your support and comments are much appreciated!

Only had time for a bit of modeling, so I added the rooftop sign.  It will need some weathering and streaking.

We're advertising tires, belts, oil, batteries, with no access to the interior for a vehicle. So apparently all of the work is done outside in the alleys alongside the building. This really DOES resemble a few of those tiny corner garages I remember.  Yes, indeed, this is going to be a hoot to model all of that going on!

--George

Opa George

Can't really add other details until I start building the base for the entire complex of structures, so here is the gas station pretty much done, next to Vallon Paint and the burger joint.  I added a Bollinger Edgerly "Skanky Yankee" Gas Station Attendant, currently holding up the front porch column while he waits for a customer or lunchtime, whichever arrives first.  Now I need a name for him.

Here is the other side of the gas station with some Rusty Rail junk castings to keep it from looking lost.

But now I can move on to the Livery building. Doug Foscale describes this as another simple, four wall structure, which it appears to be from the wall pieces.  The walls are not on the larger wood sheets, but rather may be found in the small plastic bag of miscellaneous wood walls.  I also located the roof, the foundation, and a very small porch base.  Everything is laid out in the picture below prior to bracing.

I have them braced and drying. Will post more tomorrow.
--George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Thanks for the support, Curt.

I also discovered the gas station attendant's name is  Otto "Hub" Kapp.

--George

MAP

Great work on this build George! 
Mark

JimF

Really cool, George, Coming along nicely, as all your builds do.

Jim

Opa George

Thank you Mark, and thank you, Jim.

Here are the Livery walls with some distressing using a file card, then a welder's brush, then a wash of A&I.  The doors are sponge painted with white acrylic paint.

For wall color, I chose an acrylic "Deep Wine."  It is a very dark red, but I dry-brushed it on and it stayed relatively light with a washed out look. 

Above is one of those weird and rare mistakes in the instructions. I added corner trim per the diagrams, but only after it had mostly dried did I realize that the high (front) end of each long wall did not need it, since corner trim is also applied to each side of the front.  I was able to remove it without a great deal of trouble, fortunately, and sanded the edge smooth.
--George

jerryrbeach

George,

Great job on the walls, looking forward to seeing the Livery come to life.
Jerry

Bruce Oberleitner

Looks great.  I love that washed out red color you where able to create for the structure.