FOS Bandits Roost

Started by Opa George, October 14, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Jerry and Bruce, thanks very much for the looks over my shoulder and the kind comments!
I added the window and doors, attached it to the base and roofed over the roof card.  The roof card includes two vents, half-die cut into the surface. I applied paper to the opposite side and cut out the vents from the die-cut guides on the bottom.

Here is the structure assembled. Lots of detail to add, but this is the basic form. I posed the front doors open, which means I need to come up with enough interior detail to suggest activity.  I have some ideas.

The other side. This side, if sited according to the plan, will adjoin the machine shops and won't be seen. But as I am planning some elevation changes, part or all of it may be exposed. How much will have to wait for me to play around a bit, later.

A better view of the roof and vents.  The back door is up and will have a porch built underneath.

As I noted, lots to add to this one yet.
--George

ReadingBob

Quote from: Opa George on November 12, 2019, 05:18:44 AM
Thanks for the support, Curt.

I also discovered the gas station attendant's name is  Otto "Hub" Kapp.

--George

Love it!   ;D  ;D  ;D

The structures are looking great.  This is really going to be something when you're done working your magic on it.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

jerryrbeach

George,

Interesting design by Doug with the door at the rear elevated above the floor level.  I'll be watching to see how you make everything come together on a hillside.
Jerry

Opa George

Thank you, Bob!  Jerry, I'm not exactly sure how this will come out--we'll see!

I didn't get anything dramatic done tonight. Lots of small details: the roof vent frames, the porch under the back door, and the frame of the outside horse stall.  It is coming along...

George

Opa George

When I returned to my workbench, I decided the outside horse stall should be longer than provided, so I essentially just doubled it in length.  I also created a concrete pad from scrap sheet siding. It is spraypainted with dark gray primer, with a very light overspray of camo desert sand.  After it dried, I scribed in expansion joints and cracks.

I am also making the stall slightly wider. The instructions call for locating the timber wall 7/8th inch from the livery side wall, but I went out to the edge of the concrete, which is 1 & 1/8th inch.  I also remembered to install it with the horizontal boards on the horse side. The wider measurement meant I could not use the provided template for the rafters.  I eyeballed the length I needed, cut and checked it. When satisfied that it was long enough, then cut eight more for nine rafters total.

Below is where the structure is at so far.  I'll let the timber wall dry thoroughly on the base before installing the rafters and tarp roof.

Cheers!
--George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Thanks much, Curt!
The outside horse stall will have a green tarp for a "roof," so to create one I painted full strength "sage green" acrylic over a tissue. First one side, then when it was mostly dry, the other side. That needs to thoroughly dry overnight before working with it further. By tomorrow, the sheen will be gone.  Wrinkles are perfectly fine for this.

While the tarp dried, I began installing the stall rafters. I notched each on the outer end slightly so that it contacts the timber wall better. I just eyeballed their placement--starting with one on each end, then dividing each resulting space with the next one.

Once all the rafters were in place, I began cutting straw from a package of Woodland Scenics yellow field grass.  I just picked up pinches and cut and recut until it was very, very fine.  It occurred to me that I should paint and install certain detail castings inside the stall before placing the straw, so am currently painting a few castings (not shown).  I did experiment with it by placing some at the front doors to the livery.  I think it will look ok.

More tomorrow.
--Opa George

postalkarl

PRR Modeler

Looking forward to seeing the "tarp" used.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Thanks, Karl, and thanks, Curt. I was going to get to the tarp this evening but ran into a snag.

Below is the livery stable with a nice Rusty Rail shelving casting painted and in place. I had a pile of "straw" ready to glue in place all around the floor.  So far so good.

I put down a thin base coat of carpenter's glue, then placed piles of straw. Here is where I think I invited a possible problem: to secure the piles of straw, I syringed on a mix of thin white glue (3 parts water, 1 part white glue).  It beaded up, so added a bit of alcohol to break the water tension.  The globes of thin white glue soaked in immediately, and it looked good. 

Then the wooden "concrete" base began to curl up like a dried leaf, pulling away from the bottom of the timber posts.  So I clamped it to a flat surface and decided to let it dry completely before any more work. The tarps will have to wait until tomorrow or later.  I hope it dried flat!  We'll see!

--George

Mark Dalrymple

Looks really good, George.  I don't know why you went to the trouble of scribing in expansion joints and cracks into the concrete though.   ;D

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

HI Mark,
Yes, that work may not show through much now. That's ok. Sometimes the muse leads you in a different direction.
Smiles--George

postalkarl

Hey George:

Looks great. Keep the photos coming.

Karl

Karl

cuse

Really great work. The hay effect is perfect!

John

Opa George

Quote from: cuse on November 20, 2019, 06:09:59 AM
Really great work. The hay effect is perfect!

John

Thanks, John. As Mark notes, the concrete work below is now hidden.  :(   My original plan was for most of the hay to be piled up near the sides (a lot of vintage pics of the interiors of livery stables showed that) with the middle of the concrete pad showing through.  But I got a little "hay fever" and a bit too much!  Oh, well, I do like it this way, too.
--George