Pennsylvania K4 Repaint

Started by ACL1504, March 17, 2020, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: NKP768 on March 25, 2020, 11:42:50 AM
Great post Tom - brought back some great memorys of the stuff we used to cram inside things. The modern day DCC decoders and speakers are a real god-send. I wonder how many of those engineers and firemen Weston sold.
Doug

Doug,

Thank you. Yes, it does bring back  some memories. It was a pain to install the PFM analog sound but it did sound good when finished. Weston/Campbell Scale Models still sells the engineer but they are a bit pricey. They sold a ton of the engineer and fireman.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Yesterday and this morning I got some of the painting done. I got all the painting finished on the loco chassis and main frame. As I mentioned earlier, I only use Scalecoat paints for painting brass locos.

For the loco black here is my formula for Langford Black.

14 parts loco Black
  2 parts White
  3 parts Scalecoat Thinner

The three drivers, side rods, brake shoes, steam chest, pilot assembly and reverse levers support bracket reassembled.

This baby rolls smooth as glass. When I did the glass test video the old 45+ year old lube was still on the axles. Now they are clean and fresh LaBelle #108 oil is on the axles at each journal.

Continued -

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I painted the smoke box and smoke box front with a special blend as well. I call this Smoke Box Gray.

2 parts Scalecoat Black
1 part   Scalecoat Graphite and Oil
1 part   Scalecoat Thinner

If you want the color a little darker, just as 1 or 2 more parts of black to the mix.

NOTE: The smoke box is much darker than the photo shows.

For the cab roof, I used full strength Scalecoat Oxide Red.

I'll work on the boiler paint tomorrow.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

deemery

If convenient, could you dab a bit of that Scalecoat graphite onto a white card and send me a photo?  I have some on order, but it'll help me to see what that color looks like.  (I'll be using it for oil tanks painted "graphite.")

Thanks in advance!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: deemery on March 25, 2020, 08:00:38 PM
If convenient, could you dab a bit of that Scalecoat graphite onto a white card and send me a photo?  I have some on order, but it'll help me to see what that color looks like.  (I'll be using it for oil tanks painted "graphite.")

Thanks in advance!

dave

Dave,

Send me a PM with your address and I'll send it out - when the paint on the card dries!  8)

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

.....and the A&S paint shop is open for business. Looking good Tom.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ReadingBob

If you want to air dry that paint let Greg take it for a lap or two around the layout.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on March 26, 2020, 01:00:19 PM
If you want to air dry that paint let Greg take it for a lap or two around the layout.   ;)

He won't want that Bob.....I'd have the paint flowing off the front of the boiler and flying past the tender.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

There's something I haven't in years. I custom painted HO trains for many years back in the 70's & 80's. Also painted for the Hobby Shop I worked in. I was very good at it and I also enjoyed it much. I did that in those days instead of build wooden structure kits.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 26, 2020, 09:19:01 AM

Greg,

Yes, it is. A busy shop with Covid-19 locking me in.

Tom ;D

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 26, 2020, 09:19:01 AM

Bob,

Good idea but, no. He also might chip what I've already done.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on March 26, 2020, 01:56:35 PM
Quote from: ReadingBob on March 26, 2020, 01:00:19 PM

He won't want that Bob.....I'd have the paint flowing off the front of the boiler and flying past the tender.  ;D

Nothing else to say here.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on March 26, 2020, 03:36:08 PM
Hey Tom:

There's something I haven't in years. I custom painted HO trains for many years back in the 70's & 80's. Also painted for the Hobby Shop I worked in. I was very good at it and I also enjoyed it much. I did that in those days instead of build wooden structure kits.

Karl

Karl,

I did the same back in the mid 70's and well into the 80's. I painted brass to supplement my rookie income and later took it out in hobby shop supplies.

Although it isn't as fun as it was in the day, I'm enjoying this last little excursion in brass painting.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I put blue painters tape on the cab roof. I also started covering the smoke box with the tape. At this point I got busy and forgot to take more photos but I'll have the final paint photos on the boiler tomorrow afternoon.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I finished the smoke box front this afternoon. The hand rails, headlight, keystone and brass around the red portion of the keystone were all hand painted.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com