Bar Mills Cundy Village Hotel

Started by Jim Donovan, July 20, 2020, 11:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Donovan

With the tower glued and in place it's time to fit the walls to the foundation and tower. For now I am just making sure it fits. I had thought to put the windows in place prior to gluing them together. I did not as I was concerned about breaking the glass. If I was to do it over I would put them in first and then glue the walls. Putting the windows in after and making sure they are lined up correctly is proving to be more difficult, doable but an unnecessary waste of time.

Second note, make sure all windows  are in the walls first, then glue the walls. Putting them in when the walls were up and especially cutting the openings for the backside windows really proved to be a big mistake. Took three times longer then it should have.

So here is where we are:

The large windows are going to allow you to see in easily. I hope to provide some interesting interiors to take advantage of that feature. That is it for now.
Holland & Odessa Railroad

Jim Donovan

Quote from: ACL1504 on September 15, 2020, 08:26:52 AM
Jim,

Your build is coming along nicely. I've never tried the UV glue but then I've never used the slide glass in the windows.

Great job on this one.

Tom ;D

Thanks Tom; I suspect you see a lot of techniques you use and teach.

PRR Modeler

WOW Jim, that is a lot of great looking modeling. Very impressive.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jim Donovan

Hi Curt, thanks for stopping by and thank you, glad you like it. There is indeed a lot to this kit, especially when you keep running down rabbit holes, which I am about to do again.

Jim D

Jim Donovan

With the wings formed and wall paper on the outer walls were needed I needed to build floors, interior walls and have some type of window covering, which I decided would consist of drapes asit is a first class Hotel.

After the fact Note: The following can all be done using the right mat finish photo paper, printing out on an inkjet or laser printer then cutting and folding by hand. The Cameo printer simply allows for more precise cuts and the ability to 'play' with different designs.

I have a Cameo 3 printer from Silhouette and have the upgraded design program they offer. I've been learning as I go and have found it useful in certain situations. It also has a fair share of limitations. Being called a poor man's laser cutter is probably as good a description of it as anything. The key to getting clean results is (1) a new sharp cutting knife in the holder, (2) a clean proper tacky cutting mat. If either is dirty or dull you just end up being frustrated. So before we can use the magic of the Cameo I went on Goggle and found the following images to be the hallway flooring, door, and wall paper.

Jim Donovan

Using a scanned image of the interior floor plan to get the dimensions and shape correct, I used 40mm styrene sheeting and had the machine cut it. You can cut styrene in thickness the printer is not really designed for by:

1) Work up to final cut by having the machine trace the design with the blade set at about 1/2 the needed thickness.
2) Leave the mat in the machine after it makes the first cut, adjust the knife to about 3/4 required depth and have the machine duplicate the pattern.
3) Repeat again but this time at desired thickness.

If the sheet is not cut all the way through it is very close and you can bend and snap the parts out. This works best with simple shapes.

Here is shape we wanted:

And the machine cutting out four using one sheet of styrene:

Jim Donovan

I made four floor bases of the styrene sheeting. Next time to make the floor and wall interiors. To accomplish what I wanted I made a design the machine would both cut and score where needed.  The design consists of the floor on the left of the paper running from the bottom to the top, a score line, the the left side wall (doors and wallpaperUsing matt finished photo quality 8 x 11 paper, another score line, the right side wall, a third score line and finally the right side hardwood floor. Everything needed to be aligned so it would be in the right direction when printed and cut. It sounds confusing so let me show you how it looks when finished, then we will back up on how we get there.

As you can see the thick photo paper enables you to have a floor bend into the left wall then down the right wall and back to a floor. All using one piece of cardstock.

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Jim Donovan

Designing the floors and wall was simply sizing the images to HO scale, cut and paste till enough area had been made and locate in the correct place and direction on the paper. The doors were then placed as needed. I decided to have a little fun. Some of the 'paintings' on the walls are photos. The married couple is my brother Bruce who will be the hotels proprietor and why it is to be called the B.(ruce) Alan Hotel. Another picture is Deb and me and a third is Deb's cousin and her husband with us. They live in London.

Jim Donovan

The Cameo printer knows where to cut by locating registration makes placed on the paper at the time the image is printed. Once you have everything located correctly on your design program you temporarily remove the cut and score lines and print the design on the correct paper. I use a Cannon laser printer as I like its ability to be used without waiting for the ink to dry.

Once the images are on the paper it is placed in the correction location on the tacky cutting mat (the tackiness helps hold everything in place). The cut and score lines are again enabled in the design program and the design is sent to the Cameo. The printer then makes the cuts and scoring based on the registration marks. If done properly it will make precision cuts hard to duplicate by hand.

As you can see in the above picture, the paper has a black square in one corner and L shape thick black lines in two of the other corners. These are the registration marks.

Here is the designs cut out by the machine along with the design program on the monitor:

Jim Donovan

To light the interior I used warm, yellow 3 volt nano size pre-wired LED lights. This type uses coated solid wire leads that have pre-soldered tips. I used the UV CA glue I like to tack the wires in place. Once down I used Elmer's yellow glue to improve the adhesion. The lights for the first floor have their wiring run along the second floor. The lights themselves are slipped between the crack between the floors.

You might note that I did not have the wallpaper on the wood outer walls shaped to be directly against the internal bracing, rather a gap is left. The lights for the second floor are run up the wall between the the wallpaper and the wood using these gaps. This way the wires are secured and not seen. The lack of connection with the wall at the brace will not been seen when looking through the buildings windows.

Jim Donovan

The drapes were make from single ply tissue. I air brushed Folkart Rust Brown, let dry then airbrushed a light coat of copper so that the 'drapes' gave off some color.

Jim Donovan

Drapes were put in as well as some walls to make areas looked like rooms not hallways. I then tested the lights and we are done for the night.

Rail and Tie

Ohh La La! Jim.  What a great build and all the extra interior stuff makes me happy!  Keep it up!
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

WigWag Workshop

Awesome! Love seeing Interiors.  Sweetiebear has been asking for the Cameo 4 Cutting Machine, just waiting for MicroMark to offer free shipping, so I can use my $150 in gift cards toward the purchase.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!