The Franklin & South Manchester Traveling Hopper Car

Started by S&S RR, May 24, 2016, 06:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

It's time to update the list.  I have posted it here as last updated - I need to go through the thread and make sure we didn't miss anyone and add the new names and railroads.  Stay tuned!

The list: (Names in Red are the Railroads that the car has already visited).

1. George Sellios on the Franklin & South Manchester
2. Jimmy Deignan's - Pennsy
3. Dick Ewell's - Hoosac Valley
4. John Siekirk's  - Superior & Seattle
5. Tom Langford's -  Atlantic & Southern

6. Greg DeMayo's - St. Louis and Denver RR
7. Bill and Kris Cutler's - The Pennsy, Six miles west of Altoona
8. Frank Baker's - Morristown & Erie Railroad - Western Division

9. Karl Scholz - A special build.
10. Bob Parish's - Boise Nampa & Owyhee
11. Jim Mueller - New Haven
12. Art VanDeWater's - Winona & Southwestern RY Co.
13. Mike Engler - Minnesota

Attending the Narrow Gauge Convention
14. David Gallaway - The land down under.
15.  Dr. Jeff - Hawkeye Country
16. Frank Baker's - Morristown & Erie Railroad - Western Division

I will keep up the list of stops for the F&SM Hopper Car on this thread.  If you would like to host the car on your layout - post your request on this thread and send me a PM Message with your mailing address.

Make sure you post here/ and or send me a PM message if you want to have your name added to the list.  Also, please review the list and make sure I didn't miss a post and forget someone.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tct855

Hi all,
            I was looking through from the beginning.  Wow!  The little hopper has been all over many really cool layouts.  Hey! was curious.  I wonder would it be cool if the car was to make it back to Frank Baker's layout again or someone's layout who Lou Sassi is going to film soon and it might be interesting to see the F&SM car gets filmed and make it to model railroader during it's tour through the modeling community.    Good idear or a horrendous suggestion?  What say the community?  Thanx Thom...

S&S RR

Quote from: tct855 on April 17, 2017, 07:59:05 PM
Hi all,
            I was looking through from the beginning.  Wow!  The little hopper has been all over many really cool layouts.  Hey! was curious.  I wonder would it be cool if the car was to make it back to Frank Baker's layout again or someone's layout who Lou Sassi is going to film soon and it might be interesting to see the F&SM car gets filmed and make it to model railroader during it's tour through the modeling community.    Good idear or a horrendous suggestion?  What say the community?  Thanx Thom...

The F&SM Hopper car has been rerouted back to: Frank Baker's - Morristown & Erie Railroad - Western Division
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I talked to Frank yesterday, the F&SM is on it's way back to him for the photo shoot. Another famous piece of rolling stock is also there.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Updated 4/19/17

It's time to update the list.  I have posted it here as last updated - I need to go through the thread and make sure we didn't miss anyone and add the new names and railroads.  Stay tuned!

The list: (Names in Red are the Railroads that the car has already visited).

1. George Sellios on the Franklin & South Manchester
2. Jimmy Deignan's - Pennsy
3. Dick Ewell's - Hoosac Valley
4. John Siekirk's  - Superior & Seattle
5. Tom Langford's -  Atlantic & Southern

6. Greg DeMayo's - St. Louis and Denver RR
7. Bill and Kris Cutler's - The Pennsy, Six miles west of Altoona
8. Frank Baker's - Morristown & Erie Railroad - Western Division

9. Karl Scholz - A special build.
10. Bob Parish's - Boise Nampa & Owyhee
11. Jim Mueller - New Haven
12. Art VanDeWater's - Winona & Southwestern RY Co.
13. Mike Engler - Minnesota -
Attending the Narrow Gauge Convention
14. David Gallaway - The land down under.
15.  Dr. Jeff - Hawkeye Country
16. Frank Baker's - Morristown & Erie Railroad - Western Division
17. James van Bokkelen's - B&M Eastern Route

I will keep up the list of stops for the F&SM Hopper Car on this thread.  If you would like to host the car on your layout - post your request on this thread and send me a PM Message with your mailing address.

Make sure you post here/ and or send me a PM message if you want to have your name added to the list.  Also, please review the list and make sure I didn't miss a post and forget someone.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I received a PM from James that the Hopper car had arrived safely.  Looking forward to the pictures.  Frank, if you read this I forgot to ask you this morning on the phone to post your pictures of the F&SM Hopper during your recent photo shoot on this thread. 
John Siekirk

jbvb

Hello, everyone.  F&SM 838075 has been spotted  on the B&M Eastern route.  I like to shoot photos like long-ago railfans did, so I hope this fictional narrative amuses rather than annoys you:

I got a caboose ride Sunday; my friend Joey and I were having a beer at the Flying Yankee last month and his uncle Slivers was there. He's an extra board conductor and we got talking about the railroad.  Saturday night Joey called me to say Slivers was going up to Portsmouth in the morning for a Sunday freight extra and he'd asked if I wanted to go along.  The weather was supposed to be nice, so I hot-footed it over to Slivers' house early in the morning.  We rode up on #2209 and hung around with the rest of the crew till the westbound freight came in.  Maine Central Mikado #622 was the power, but my camera's shutter was too slow for the angle and lighting.  I tried a few more near Newburyport, which came out so-so:
James

jbvb

We'd been moving pretty fast; I could hear 622 working up ahead, even when we were on the level. The old Eastern RR laid out a really straight, flat railroad across the coastal plain and salt marshes and the crew decided getting home quick was the best plan back in Portsmouth.  Only a few of the photos I took around Rowley came out:

James

jbvb

Clouds started to roll in as we passed Ipswich; I love that Kodachrome in full sun, but I learned the hard way that shooting in shade just wastes your money. But so does pulling a part roll out of the camera, so I only tried a few shots the rest of the trip.  This one, when I caught a patch of sun just before we went into Bexley Tunnel, came out OK:
James

tct855

James,
           Absolutely love the pictures coupled with the backstory.  Felt like I was standing right next to you!  Great job!  Thanx Thom...

S&S RR

James

Excellent pictures and narrative!  I really enjoyed the ride.  Thank you for hosting the F&SM Hopper on your layout and sharing it with us.
John Siekirk

jbvb

Once I got my pictures back, I thought the story was over too. But at the next Railroad Enthusiasts meeting, I found out Joey had put the word out: All my attention was on the train ride, I didn't even notice the guys staking out both ends of Bexley Tunnel. And most of them had taken a picture of me on the caboose's front platform.

James

jbvb

Two other guys gave me prints at the meeting. One had been at the Chipman Street bridge - the box pony sides are too high to shoot over without a milk crate to stand on, so he was down by the King Arthur mill's ash pile.  My friend Doug was on top of a boxcar across from the Acme building in West Lynn. 
James

jbvb

It was another two weeks till I stopped by the Flying Yankee again. Joey and I had been out on Mr. Rogers' party boat (Wilbur's all-year job is being a B&M engineer). What do you know, but three of the Newburyport RRE crowd had also taken pictures of my caboose ride. One had shot #622 going away at Merrimac St.  Another had been on the Rt. 1 overpass.  A third heard the whistle while he was snacking at the Clam Box on Rt. 1A in Rowley.
James

jbvb

Finally, two months after my ride, I was having dinner at my Great Aunt's house when my cousin pulled an envelope out of her purse. She'd told the story of my ride at lunch one day, and one of her gal pals had said, "Oh, that must have been your cousin that my husband saw; he'd taken Junior out to Robinson Rd. to see what was going on at the Bexley yard."
James