Forgive me for I have sinned

Started by BandOGuy, October 04, 2019, 12:14:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BandOGuy

In that I'm way late to the party, I have the following ridiculous question, but please bear with me. (TiA)
First step in kit assembly is, after the obligatory photos, apply a coat of AI to the walls, both sides.
How do I prevent warping? Kit is tab and slot construction. Interior brace prior to A&I even though there's no interior bracing in the kit instructions?
All suggestions appreciated after you're through snickering/guffawing at my ignorance.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

rpdylan

my method is that I use my wire brush to put some grain, then Hunterline stains to both sides of the walls, then I put the walls under this 12 x 12 heavy marble tile that I bought at Home Depot for a couple of bucks. I usually do this the day before I start my build so the stain has really dried out. I like doing the wall prep (nail holes, ect) flat on the bench without any bracing on.
    As an aside, I long time ago I stopped putting the corner bracing on the flat walls, I wait until I get the walls together and then put the corner bracing on. I picked this method up at one of the structure shows years ago....
Bob C.

jerryrbeach

Chip,

My first step is to brace the walls.  I have seen some modelers have success by staining both sides of the walls and allowing them to dry.  If I add nail holes I slip a few extra pieces of bracing loosely under the walls so they are supported when I add the nail holes.

Here's a link to a video that might help.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Od4e8Uz9A  The guys at HO Customs have recently started an entire series on building a craftsman kit step by step.

You could also check out any of Reading Bob's or Tom's builds.  Both do an excellent job of documenting each step in the construction process. 
Jerry

ACL1504

Chip,

I also apply A&I to both sides to prevent warping. Often, I brace and then add the A&I and if I do brace first, I only add A&I to the side I plan on painting. I've also used weights but found that the bracing straightens the walls if warped.

This is just what works for me.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Opa George

I tend to add wood grain, distressing and nail holes first, followed by bracing. To minimize warping, I will usually spray paint the reverse of each wall with flat black primer and allow it to dry completely before adding A & I to the front.  Placing the stained walls on a flat surface underneath even weight (large books work for me) is one of my "best practices," even though I sometimes neglect that step.

Sometimes you get warping no matter how much advance prep and care you put in, but as Tom mentions, additional bracing can come to the rescue.
--George