CCK 18177 - Takoma Shops in HO Scale

Started by NEMMRRC, October 30, 2019, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrylhuffman

Jaime,

Leo Laporte is still one of my favorites.  TWIT.TV is great.

His shows are getting more political than tech, however.

I give copies of Dave Ramsey's books to anyone I know who is having financial problems.

I think maybe you and I have a lot in common.

Darryl Huffman
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

ReadingBob

Jamie,

I've never glued a window in upside down.  Believe that one and I have a bridge I want to sell you.   :P   ;)  Heck, I've even glued walls in upside down.  :o

Looking wonderful!  Keep up the great work!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

JimF

Coming along great, Jamie.

Pictures of one's work definitely help, as long as one remembers to take some in the 1st place LOL

Not sure why, but I have never been able to get into talk radio, books on tape or audio books, or podcasts. Either don't hold my attention deeply enough, or I hear something that makes me think of something else, and I lose the thread of what I was listening to in the first place.

Jim

NEMMRRC

My day would be quite boring if I didn't listen to podcasts. Some listen to music, I listen to people yak on about stuff that keeps me interested.

I began to shingle the roof on the little office. The kit includes some groovy laser cut shingles. They are nice and crisp. The paper stock is thick enough to give the shingles body but thin enough to keep things to scale.

I start off by cutting the "margin" off the sheet of singles and gluing that at the bottom edge of the roof to give some backing to the first course of shingles. You don't have to do that. I do.

You can use any type of glue to secure the shingles on the roof. I like to use something that gives me time to play with the course of shingles. I make mistakes so I need help along the way.

I added some guide lines to the roof card. You don't have to do this. I do because I make mistakes and I need all the help I can get. The lines are not compulsory. They are guides. It helps to keep things straight.

When I glue each course I cut it a tad longer than the width of the roof. It gives me a chance to line up the shingles and I come back later and trim the excess once the glue is dry.

That is where I am at the moment. Once the roof is shingled I need to add weathering and determine if I want to add a chimney or smoke stack or vent or what-have-you. The kit art work depicts the little office with a chimney right in the middle of the office. I haven't decided if that is what I want to do. I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

Thanks for all the comments. Do you know if anyone else has built this kit? I'm curious what others have done with it.

More as it develops.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Moving right along...

Don't you have it when you miscalculate !

Oh well. I'lll improvise.

So I need to prepare the ridge cap for the roof on this little building. I learned this trick from a post on some other forum out on the inter webs a long time ago. All you need is an envelope you don't plan to use. We get lots of junk mail and bills at home. Each piece of that mail has at least one envelope and that yields a nice crisp creased edge. All you need to do is slice the folded edge off the envelope and you have a nicely folded ridge cap. If you need a ridge cap 1/2 inch wide, you mark your envelope 1/4 inch from the edge all along the edge and slice off that much off the envelope.

The envelope.

The marked edge along the bottom of the envelope.

The sliced edge off the envelope.

Unfold the slice and voila! you have a ridge cap.

Fit it on your roof. But, glue it only when you have the roof in place or else you may not be able to fold the creased roof like you need it. Trust me, I learned the hard way. Only glue the ridge cap when your roof is securely in place.

And here is where I am so far.

My back yard is replete with fallen leaves. I need to get on that this weekend and then its toy train time.

Later and enjoy the weekend.

Jaime

darrylhuffman

Nice tip with the envelope.

I trim my shingles with scissors.

Amazing how many things we can use.

I buy business cards by the hundred and use them for mixing small amounts of paint, epoxy and even use them for "masking" instead of masking tape.

Toothpicks are among my favorite tools.

Darryl Huffman

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

NEMMRRC

Quote from: darrylhuffman on November 15, 2019, 07:42:34 PM
Nice tip with the envelope.

I trim my shingles with scissors.

Amazing how many things we can use.

I buy business cards by the hundred and use them for mixing small amounts of paint, epoxy and even use them for "masking" instead of masking tape.

Toothpicks are among my favorite tools.

Darryl Huffman

My friend Bob, who turned me onto FSM kits log ago, used business cards to make random stonework. He would cut up business cards into small bits and arranged the small bits so as to simulate stone walls.

We often forget we can use scissors in this hobby. I have a tiny pair of scissors somewhere in my tool box. I usually just grab whatever is nearby to get the job done.

Jaime

postalkarl

Jaime:

The roof looks great. I like the shingles. Did they come with the kit?

Karl

chris.mincemoyer

Opa George

The roof with those shingles really looks good!  Nice job on that.  Can't wait to see it weathered.
--George

NEMMRRC

Quote from: postalkarl on November 16, 2019, 09:05:27 AM
Jaime:

The roof looks great. I like the shingles. Did they come with the kit?

Karl
The shingles came included in the kit.
Thank you.
Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: chris.mincemoyer on November 16, 2019, 12:12:39 PM
Envelope as a roof cap, genius!
Give it a try. You'll be looking forward to junk mail day at your home from now on.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Opa George on November 16, 2019, 05:38:29 PM
The roof with those shingles really looks good!  Nice job on that.  Can't wait to see it weathered.
--George
Thank you. I too am looking forward to seeing it weathered  ;D

Jaime

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

NEMMRRC

Time flies when you are having fun. I managed to get in a bit of modeling. I have completed enough of the little office to deem it "done" for now. Here is what took place.

I glued the roof on the structure. I added some left over bits of bracing to give the whole thing some more surface area to grab unto. I basically glued little bits between the walls and the underside of the roof.

I then proceeded to glue the ridge cap I made from the envelope crease.

I decided not to put the little chimney in the middle of the roof as the kit's art work depicts. Instead I decided to add a smoke stack on the back of the structure. So I made me a smoke jack with the left over bits of the window casting sprues.

I painted the smoke jack a weathered grey by mixing black and grey acrylic paints.

I used the pointy end of my Monster Nailer to poke a hole in the roof.

I then enlarged the hole by twisting the pointy end of my tweezers until I had a hole large enough for the job.

I took some leftover painted bits of the ridge cap which I painted with the same weathered grey (except I failed to photograph that part) and fashioned a cap/flasing to go where the smoke jack protrudes the roof.

I took some Aileen's tacky glue and mixed it with the weathered grey to make some tar/pitch to glue in the smoke jack.

I used some pastel chalks to weather the roof. I first applied some black, then some grey and finally some rust pastel chalks on the roof. I then dry bushed with white and attempted to make some bird droppings. I plan to use the little bird castings I picked up at the Crafstman Courtyard to go on the roof once I get further along.

I still need practice with the dry brushing.

More to come as it develops.

Jaime