Nails or Glue for Roadbed?

Started by Dennis Bourey, March 23, 2020, 11:19:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Bourey

Hi Guys, Is there any benefit for gluing versus nailing roadbed down? I see quite a few glue there roadbed down. Is the nails used until glue dries? Thanks Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

vinceg

I used to use nails for everything. Now I glue as much as I can. Nails seem nice as they are immediate gratification but I don't like the fact that I frequently end up either distorting the roadbed by pounding in the nail too far or leaving a bump if not far enough. Also, depending on your subroadbed, it may be difficult to drive the nail into it (e.g., masonite splines, or even plywood). Liquid Nails now for putting roadbed down and supplement with push pins and/or weights while drying. I also then use caulk to fasten the track down to the roadbed. FWIW.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

jerryrbeach

Dennis,

I used latex caulk to fasten my cork roadbed to the foam sheets I used on my modules.  One caveat, I did have to remove and rearrange some of the roadbed.  The caulk held so well that I ended up having to use some spackle to patch the foam where It tore when pulling up the cork.  I also used latex caulk to fasten the track as well as some track nails to hold curves, switches, etc., while the caulk dried.  You might check this part of my layout thread:  http://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=3425.30
Jerry

bparrish

I use nails as they are removable and allow for easy readjustment.  Once everything is operational, glued down ballast holds everything in place.  The ballast is removable in hot water if necessary and the rail and ties can be reused.  I'm not sure liquid nails and caulk are easily removable.

Just my way of doing things........ not the only way.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

For my roadbed I use glue with a few brads from an air nailer to hold it in place until the glue tries.  For track - only glue - hold it in place with weights until the glue dries.  I use Elmer's white glue because if you ever want to change something you just get it wet and move it - let the glue dry and it's stays where you put it. I glue the ballast with watered down Elmer's 4:1. That's the way I do it after many years and attempts at using other methods.  As Bob said - my way - not the only way.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

Thank you everybody...........Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Lynnb

I prefer the nails, on foam I use white glue with rail weighted down. I find the nailed rail can always be tweaked a bit to smooth out into a turnout.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

NEMMRRC

Last time I did track work I fastened down the roadbed with carpet double sided tape and the track I fastened with Beacon 3 in 1 adhesive or clear silicone caulk. I followed Dave Frary's method for doing this. I think there is a video of it out there on the YouTubes.

Jaime

Dennis Bourey

Thank you Jaime, I'll look tonight :)  ..... Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Oldguy

I prefer Liquid Nails Projects for the cork roadbed and track.  Granted, I use 1/2" thick foam splines, so nails would be of no real value for me.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Dennis Bourey

I couldn't find anything Jaime...Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Dennis Bourey

Bob, I guess I have a lot experimenting to do ....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net