BABA O'REILLEY fly fishing rods

Started by hairball, November 23, 2019, 04:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

This is BABA O'REILLEY " fly fishing rods" in O scale 1.48

I built this for a friend who was starting an On30 layout and needed a custom structure as a forefront piece.

This started as a Tom Yorke #105 kit, as the out building.  It is my absolute favorite set of 4 walls to model start with.  One side represents where the side building containing the boiler blew up and destroyed the side building.  The side wall doorway got bricked in and the stone got parged over with stucco to hid the fire smoke.

From there I just built whatever I wanted to using materials on hand.  The roof was done with B I S slate roofing.  The second story where Baba lives is comfortable and has clapboard at each end, raised and broken claps are lifted using a wall paper knife, the nail holes are applied using a dressmakers pounce wheel.  The front door and side windows are from grandt line , as are the other windows used.

The outside plumbing metal sewage pipe I think was from Berkshire valley ?  Staircase at rear was from banta and railing from grandt line.  The debris garbage strewn around was from Berkshire valley also

The coloration of the stone is floquil RUST put on full strength and then a mortar wash of ARTISTS GESSO white is seriously thinned down and brushed over followed right away with cloth wiping.  You want the gesso into the joints not on the surface.

I used this 105 yorke out building at least 8 times in various builds, changing its look each time.  That's the hard part.

Notice in the windows lace curtains and in some venetian blinds, these are from builders in scale.

Also notice in the front door system the stone wraps around .  I used a finger nail file and knocked the sharp casting edge off , then took a zona saw blade and cut the stone lines to match.  Then I
took a brass brush and zipped over the stone to rough it up a little .

mike lynch..........madmike3434...........HAIRBALL