EZEKIALS DRY GOODS O scale

Started by hairball, November 24, 2019, 07:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

This is Ezekials dry goods build # 394 the 5th structure I made in o scale.

I started with the Grandt line  front window and door system and board and baton siding .  Base was floquil driftwood stain followed by boxcar red it looks like , thinned by dipping 1/2" wide brush into the paint and into the diosol thinners. Going from top to bottom just the once, gives it that naturally weathered look .  There may be a wash of alcohol and india ink on it.

The windows and doors I use the technique of paint the door the base colour , then right away using a very small brush dip the tip into the paint in the well shaken lid, turning the brush on a very sharp LOW angle , drag it over the window sills .  Same applies for tri tone windows.

I generally have a very rough idea of what I am going to build.  There are no plans and elaborate drawings , just wing it and make it work.  Works for me, but not recommended as the correct way.

The signage is from Staples and the letters are peel and stick .

The roof was the first time I have used oak veneer and gives a very rustic look.  Its an animal to work with and never did it again preferring birch veneer coloured with leather stain and alcohol.  The other signs are things I found on the net and printed them out with 32 signs per sheet as a CONTACT sheet which came out perfect for O scale.

The people and dogs are from Artista I believe .  Truck is Berkshire valley stake truck lead castings.

The stone foundation is a hydrocal casting I think of a HO George FSM #215 wall, works in O .

That tall chimney , I have no idea where that came from  as its a hydrocal casting, probably HO as well.

mike lynch ....madmike3434.........HAIRBALL

hairball

last few pictures

mike lynch

bandman

Your colors, shading and weathering look great, Mike.  It's interesting how mixed scales can work together and come out looking correct...and so good.  I'm enjoying all of your posts in O scale, even though I'm an HO scaler.  Thanks for sharing your work.

Horton M.

hairball

Thanks Horton.  Yes some things/parts can transition from HO to O scale .  The foundation stonework and the chimney.

An HO brick roof chimney you could not cheat with.

I went from HO structure building with the advent of Bachmann On30 locos and rolling stock ,  to full on O scale.  Ease of handling, easier to see without having to don special high magnification glasses.   I left behind a lot of brass MACK based railbus's plus a huge stock of grandt line windows and doors plus northeastern scale lumber .  Was expensive.

mike lynch.....................HAIRBALL