FSM Chippy Hollow Hardware

Started by SteveCuster, December 07, 2019, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

Looking ver very beautiful. Glad to see you are using cap shingles. Where is the local hobby shop you mentioned above.

Karl

Opa George

Quote from: postalkarl on February 07, 2020, 01:49:39 PM
Hey Steve:

Looking ver very beautiful. Glad to see you are using cap shingles. Where is the local hobby shop you mentioned above.

Karl

Karl,
That was from me.  I live in the Harrisburg, PA and my local hobby shop is "The Station," at 213 9th St, New Cumberland, PA 17070. I've been shopping there since the 1970s, but it has been in business for over 60 years. I love it.  They offer me coffee and cookies when I go in!
Here is a feature article recently published about the business: https://theburgnews.com/business/chugging-along-the-station-has-been-on-the-right-track-for-60-years

Opa George

ReadingBob

Quote from: Opa George on February 07, 2020, 02:32:17 PM
Quote from: postalkarl on February 07, 2020, 01:49:39 PM
Hey Steve:

Karl

Karl,
That was from me.  I live in the Harrisburg, PA and my local hobby shop is "The Station," at 213 9th St, New Cumberland, PA 17070. I've been shopping there since the 1970s, but it has been in business for over 60 years. I love it.  They offer me coffee and cookies when I go in!
Here is a feature article recently published about the business: https://theburgnews.com/business/chugging-along-the-station-has-been-on-the-right-track-for-60-years

Opa George

I'll need to make a trip over there next time I'm up there staying at my brothers place in Enola.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Opa George

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 07, 2020, 02:46:38 PM

I'll need to make a trip over there next time I'm up there staying at my brothers place in Enola.   ;D

Enola is a great little town. AND you can watch trains 24/7 if you wanted.

sdrees

this really turned out very nice.  I like the way your stone walls turned out.
Steve Drees
SP RR

GPdemayo

Really neat lady that runs The Station George..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone.

I made some progress on the loading dock these last couple days.

I use double sided tape to secure the framework for the loading dock. The instructions recommending gluing directly to the template but I prefer this method.

I started with the longer boards. I ended up cutting up the boards for a more realistic look. Most of the dock will be covered with castings and other things so I didn't get too crazy,

This area was next. The kit was short a few boards so I had to make a few. I think this is the first and only time I've built one of George's kits that was short or missing something.

Finished running the boards.

The vertical boards are made from these little pieces of siding.

I test fit the loading dock in place and marked it's location.

I turned the whole dock upside down and cut some pieces out of the vertical boards to give it some weathering. I also added some nail holes.

I gave the whole assembly another A&I wash to get the color I wanted.

The instructions recommend gluing the dock down at this time but I chose to build the brick loading dock in the front first so I can make sure them fit together well.

This is the base for the front smaller loading dock.

I was happy with the fitment so I glued both assemblies down.

I placed the brick building in it's position so I could get an idea of how everything will look together.

Next step is the little wooden shed on the right side of the building.

Thanks for following along.
Steve Custer

Jerry

Steve great coloring and weathering.  You doing a fine job.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Mark Dalrymple

Looks terrific, Steve!

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

Really nice work on that large dock. The board coloring is spot on.  I also like how you weathered and broke some of the front vertical boards for an individual look.
--Opa George

postalkarl

Hey Steve:

I always loved this kit because of all the stone & brick walls. You are doing a beautiful job with it and I just can't wait to see more. The platform looks great.

Karl

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

JimF

Great looking, the decking came out especially nice.

Jim

SteveCuster

Thanks everyone for all the positive feedback!

Next step was building this little shed that goes on the right side of the building on top of the decking. I painted the walls with that same color as the tan on the main structure Apple Barrel Khaki. The trim is also the same as the main building Folkart Clover.

I glued the shed to the main structure. I ended up with a gap where the walls meet the stonework so I shimmed the bottom front up with a few business cards while it dried. It will be easier to hide the gap on the flooring then it would be if I had to hide it on the wall. Lots more options to cover it up with details.

The roofing for the shed is a precast piece of white metal. I was a little apprehensive to use it but I decided to give it a try. I primed it with khaki color and used some A&I on the wood parts.

After the A&I dried I used a couple shades of chalk mixed with alcohol to paint the wood pieces.

I painted the corrugated metal pieces with gray paint followed by A&I. Of course the metal looks heavily weathered so I wanted to really rust it up. This is just the base.

I painted all the gray areas with a slurry of alcohol and rust colored pastel chalk powders to rust them up.

I liked the way the roof looked at this point so I glued it down.

Next step was adding the platforms and staircases. I added the upper platform to the front upper door.

Next I added the second platform and the lower supports for the upper platform. I figured out the placement of the second platform using the little stair casting as a guide.

The small stair casting is glued in place.

I had to cut one step off the large casting to fit it in place. Once I got the stairs in place I wasn't happy with the color of the wood. Between this photo and the next one I washed over the steps with A&I to better match the decking.

Added the railing posts. You can see the stairs are a little bit darker.

I added all the railings and the little one on the left of the upper door.

I darkened up the railings with some A&I after the glue fully dried. I've done this too early in the past and the alcohol causes the whole thing to fall apart. Everything is glued with TiteBond II carpenters glue. This photo also shows the small gap between the bottom of the shed and the decking. It's pretty manageable and won't be noticeable once I add all the dock castings.

I glued the platform on the rear of the structure. This one has no stairs. I also added the concrete dock. It's a piece of wood colored with gray paint and weathered with chalks. I didn't spend a ton of time with this area because it will be impossible to see once I add the structure to the layout.

That's all for today. Next step is the roof for the brick building.

Thanks for following along.

Steve Custer