The Empire

Started by Zephyrus52246, August 31, 2014, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

After a year hiatus, I'm getting back to building the layout.  The original thread is here at kitforums   http://kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=7382       When I last posted, I had broken thru the wall into the next room.  Here's some pictures of the room and how things are planned.  Please note I had NOTHING to do with the colors/decoration of the room.   :)   The trains come thru the hole in the wall and will basically follow the walls around to a turnback loop over the TV area.   I will be using a short backdrop behind the benchwork.  I'll just be using the room lighting, no valences here.  Between the curtains, you can see the electrical box which needs to be accessible, which will lead to problems later in design. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The first problem is when the trains come thru, they need to make a left and then a right turn.  With 30 inch radius curves with easements, this left no tangent in between.  I've read this can be a problem, so I angled this using my templates, and even with the easements, there's about 16 inches of straight in between them, which should be enough for my longest locos and passenger cars. 

Jeff

bparrish

Jeff.......

Good to have you back on the build side of the hobby.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

It is always fun to have new space to fill, congratulations Jeff. We will be watching your progress. I'm pretty sure you will want to do some painting ;) .  Just think of all the structures you can fit in a room that size. 

By-the-way, those of us that can't attend the Narrow Gauge Convention are hoping you will give us a full report - remember we love picture.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on August 31, 2014, 04:00:20 PM
The first problem is when the trains come thru, they need to make a left and then a right turn.  With 30 inch radius curves with easements, this left no tangent in between.  I've read this can be a problem, so I angled this using my templates, and even with the easements, there's about 16 inches of straight in between them, which should be enough for my longest locos and passenger cars. 

Jeff

Jeff

I have found that you need enough straight between the curves to handle the largest steam engine you plan to run along with the longest car you plan to run. Any place I tried to cheat this got re-engineered after track work testing :-[ .
John Siekirk

Zephyrus52246

Thanks Bob and John.  I may have spoke too soon, I probably should go measure my largest steam just to make sure.   :)  I'll take pictures at the NG convention, but I have no way to upload them until I get home.  Jaime's will be better anyway.

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

After thinking how I was going to do this.  Measuring.  Finding the studs (occasionally missing  :-[ ).  Measuring again.  Cutting/ripping lumber.  The first piece of benchwork is in the new room.  I hope the first is the hardest.   :)

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

for the "feet" I use these 1 1/2 PVC pipe ends.  Drill a hole in the center, but a bolt with a washer thru it.  Put a lock washer and nut on the top and tighten.  This screws into a T drilled/hammered into the base of a 2x4 leg.  It can then be adjusted up or down as needed to level.

Jeff

gnatshop

I like the 1 1/2" PVC caps you used for 'feet' !

Should give a much more stable base than the small adjustable 'feet' I used, but I'm too
lazy to change now!!!!

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, Gnat.  On the kitforums thread, I mentioned that I use an "upside down" L girder.  This makes it easier for a "lone wolf" modeler to all this by him/her self.  At least I think so.  The first "table" is up.  The leg is actually temporary, I need to attach the next section to this where the leg is, but I wanted it on the corner as it made it easier to stand this up.  Another leg will be added where the section from where the roadbed is coming thru the wall meets the section that's already up. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Finished section one and now determining the outline of the next section, using "Rube Goldberg" type confabulations.   :)  The area is too deep to reach comfortably, but I can't make it smaller without shrinking the straight portion of the S curve or eliminating the easements.  It will be a flat industrial area, and I'll have to make a pop out to reach the corner.   

Jeff

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on September 11, 2014, 01:53:53 PM
Finished section one and now determining the outline of the next section, using "Rube Goldberg" type confabulations.   :)  The area is too deep to reach comfortably, but I can't make it smaller without shrinking the straight portion of the S curve or eliminating the easements.  It will be a flat industrial area, and I'll have to make a pop out to reach the corner.   

Jeff

Jeff

I understand laying track work and bench work out with only one set of hands.  Looks like you are doing a great job - you can never own enough clamps!

John Siekirk

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, John.  The second section is up, need to put the cross pieces in.  Lots of futzing figuring out the angles.  This section is higher as it's a flat industrial area, so I'll use 1 inch of foam instead of 4 inches on the other part.

Jeff

GPdemayo

Looking good Jeff.....I'll be following along!  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for following along, Greg.  I've got the cross pieces finished.  With the templates in place, there's a 21 inch straight between the curves with the easements.  I'll have to resist putting a turnout in there.   :)  A station will fit, however.

Jeff