Southern RR Ms-4 2-8-2 Painting

Started by ACL1504, June 26, 2020, 05:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I'm off on yet another brass loco painting. I'm coming much further south for this one. This is a brass PFM Southern Railroad class Ms-4 mikado.

I'll have more information on this loco in the coming days.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Another beauty Tom.....I'll be looking in.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on June 27, 2020, 08:47:26 AM
Another beauty Tom.....I'll be looking in.  8)

Greg,

Thanks for following along. My plan is to start this one sometime this week.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

PFM imported two different models of this loco. Both models were built by Sam Hongsa in 1978. The first release of 400 was a model with the Elesco feedwater heater and sold for $225.00. Later in 1978 PFM released 350 of the Worthington feedwater heater version which sold for $215.00.  My wife purchased this one for me a few years after our marriage. I've had this model for about 28 years. This model has the Elesco feedwater heater like the SRR PS-4 Pacific.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Way back in 1995 I started the process of prepping this loco for the installation of PFM DC Analog sound. This model has been boxed and placed under the layout since 1995. When I removed it, I remembered I need to make a few repairs as the box contained a few loose parts.

Pipes were broken off the right side under the cab.

I made the necessary repairs a few days ago.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Left side pipes were repaired.

The front step between the support posts was unsoldered. This was resoldered as well.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

The rubber coupling was all but rotted away. This will be an easy fix at a later date.

Diet Pepsi time, back in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Back in the day, many brass models had some factory drilled holes for speaker sound in the tender. This was mainly on PFM models but some early Key Import models also had factory drilled holes in the tender floors.

From the late 70's til the introduction of DCC many modelers used the PFM Analog Sound System. Later Bob Longnecker, inventor of the PFM sound, also came out with the PBL Foreground Sound System. This system was also DC Analog sound but Bob had plans for more advanced features. Some included Switchman, Trainman (consisting) Signalman and a few others. Unfortunately Bob died of cancer prior to this development.

In the photo below, note all the holes drilled in the tender deck/floor. The group on the right are the factory drilled holes and I drilled the ones on the left.

The old PFM speaker was large and wouldn't fit over the factory drilled holes. So the new holes were required.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Also, for this large speaker to fit, it was necessary to remove a good portion of the coal bunker.

Of course, now all these conversions and brass removal isn't required with the newer, better sounding and smaller DCC speakers.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

With the old PFM Analog sound it was also necessary to use a cam for the sound chuffs. Here you can see where I cut a hole in the frame base and soldered an axle cam to the second driver axle.

The loco is now disassembled and most of it has been soaked in Acetone for cleaning. I'll start painting on Sunday, weather permitting.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

RWL

Tom,

I have been following your paint jobs, very nice work, especially the Mallet. This should be another fine outcome.

Stay safe
Bob

ACL1504

Quote from: RWL on July 03, 2020, 08:52:50 PM
Tom,

I have been following your paint jobs, very nice work, especially the Mallet. This should be another fine outcome.

Stay safe
Bob

Bob,

Appreciate you stopping by and for the nice compliment on the Mallet. This one will get some extra detail work as the SRR really did spruce up many of their locos.

Tom  ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I'm about 85% finished with the Ms-4 loco painting.

All the wheels and frames are finished. The white on the drivers, pilot, trailing and tender trucks are all hand painted with Scalecoat White.

The steam chest cylinder covers and pilot are hand painted with Scalecoat Aluminum.

I'm still working on hand painting the boiler running boards sides. Other details are getting completed as well. I should have some final photo by Wednesday at the latest.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com