Saulenas & Bail Bonds

Started by Opa George, June 07, 2019, 05:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Time for a new project. I have Bandits Roost but am saving that for the cold, dark winter. Something simpler first.

I can't be the first modeler to notice what natural mates Bar Mills' Saulenas Tavern and 4th Street Bail Bonds are. Both are Carpenter Italianate style, with their heavy cornice trim, low or flat roofs and turreted ends. As fate would have it, if built end-to-end, they make up a short city block with sidewalks included.

My plan is to build the basic shell of each structure with only minor modification to the roof and cornice where they will join. As I get further along in the build, I may make more significant changes as inspiration or opportunity strikes.

Each has a three-layer base that builds up as the sidewalk, entry porch, and building foundation. I first dry-stacked them for both structures to test how well they fit.  Rats--the Bail bonds base, as built, was 1/16th inch higher--a relatively large difference if they were to be joined. I contemplated removing one of the layers, but then decided instead to raise the Saulenas base by adding 1/16th wood panel to the bottom. Problem solved.

Below are the bases pushed together as they will be later joined, and the Saulenas walls with bracing.

Sometime this weekend I will brace the Bail Bonds walls and distress/add nail holes to the fronts of all walls, then make some wall color decisions.
--George

ReadingBob

Following along with great interest.  Looks like I got a front row seat too. :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Dave K.

S&S RR

You guys are always cutting in line. I will be following along from the second row.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Janbouli

I'll look on from the loges , best seats in the theater.  ;)
I love photo's, don't we all.

Raymo

I'll sit over here on the floor, watching

PRR Modeler

I'll definitely be following George.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

jimmillho

I guess I am in the back row cheap seats, but I have got my good Glasses on.

Jim

EricQuebec

GPdemayo

I'm here somewhere....not sure where.....but having a good time.....I'll be looking in on this one George.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

MAP

I'll be following along as well, sitting at home with my drone hovering over watching your build!
Mark

Opa George

Wow, full house!  Better get this show started. We'll skip past the dancing girls, Enrico and his Trained Squirrels, and Lily the Amazing Psychic Mime to the main event.

The Saulenas Tavern walls were painted flat black on the reverse to help minimize warping, then a coat of A&I to bring out the slight distressing (nail holes and a few lifted boards). I usually also add a heavy-handed treatment with a file card and/or a welder's brush to add a lot of extra grain, but did not this time, as this building should represent somewhat more diligent upkeep by the Saulenas family.

Now the big decision--what color to paint the walls and trim? This, and its companion building, will be seaside resort businesses catering to the tourist trade. The other structure, 4th Street Bail Bonds, will become "Mermaid Gems and Jewelry" (working name), with a blue and white color scheme, so I wanted something complementary for the tavern.  I settled on a light green and rich yellow, as below.

I sponge painted the walls, and wet brushed the trim.  Both colors are craft store Acrylics: Mistletoe Green and Golden Wheat. Although the walls should represent relatively good repair, I still applied the paint sparingly to show fading in the salt air. The small wall left unpainted adjoins the next structure and won't be visible.

Windows and trim painting next.
--George

richbeau

This looks interesting. Until I just scooted over to the Bar Mills site, I was not familiar with 4th Street Bail Bonds. Oh yeah... I see a few possibilities. Definitely deserves a follow.
--Rich

ACL1504

FIRE - FIRE, everybody out. Now I can get on the front row in the middle.

Tom AKA: Firestarter per Jimmy D.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com