THE GRAND DEPOT in O scale

Started by hairball, December 17, 2019, 02:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

I never had the kit in HO and when I switched to O scale decided "I gotta build that".  Other than the full page magazine ad in colour I had nothing to go by.  Strictly a front dead on view only of the GRANITE DEPOT.

So after studying the picture for a while I needed to order a bunch of stuff from grandt line.  I already had some windows and all the doors in stock.  Grabbed the sheets of 3/32 space clapboard that are deeper claps and started laying out the windows and doors, marking location with very sharp pencil.  After a few hours all the walls are cut out using my small size OLFA blade snap off knife.   Once done I proceeded to 1/8" sq basswood on the inside to give the wood rigidity.  I do not chince here, strength anti warping is whats important , just like FSM kits taught me.

I put a lot of my own designs and treatments into the structure.  My specialty is the 3 tone windows which ads so much character.  The roof is B I S real copper that has been treated to variegate that fabulous green naturely but maybe a touch of BRAGDONS PIGMENTS .   The wrought iron on the top of the roof ads a lot of character.

I built the front with a stone fireplace chimney and on the rear without one.  So the back became the front for character.  I had no idea because I had the one view only so made the back almost same as the front.

Pretty sure the walls base colour is floquil driftwood base, with over layering of TAN, EARTH,  DUST and touches of antique white.

The scratch vegetable stand was covered with MIKE YOAKUM products.

mike lynch...........madmike3434............HAIRBALL

hairball

more pictures

PLUS , a month or so ago an ebay auction for one of the granite depot kits came up and a good picture of the structure plans, so here it is if you wish to attempt a scratch build.

mike lynch

ACL1504

Mike,

Wow, I love this station. Very well done and fantastic modeling.

Now, you've shown us many of the "O" scale kits you've built. Just wondering when we get to see the layout or layout construction.

Inquiring minds and all that.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

hairball

SORRY

None of the builds I have shown are KITS , all are scratch, some from my imagination others based roughly on an actual kit that somebody released , in HO and blown up to O scale by me.

Excuse me, actually the Beulahs house of enchantment was a tom yorke kit that I modified the hell out of. I also used the YORKE kit to produce the ELEVATED WSLC cookhouse that's also heavily modifyied from Yorkes design

Thought I made that point clear at the start of each set of pictures and text.

anyway as always we just love building stuff.

Layout never built one yet, I just constructed a total of 516 dioramas from 1986 to 2013 as shown on plywood edge as they got done.  Most were sold privately or on ebay

mike lynch

postalkarl

Hey Hairball:

Very nicely done. I have the original Timberline kit in A black Box with Silver end label. I've had it for man years.

Karl

hairball

KARL, one was listed on ebay a few weeks ago that's where I got the photo of the plans from.  I think it was listed on buy it now.  Was the first one of them I have seen listed in many a moon.

I still have the full page color advert for the kit in a binder in basement.

You should consider building it and adding your special POSTAL K improvements to it.  From the look of the plans appears walls are board and batten siding.  If I was to do it again I would consider that using the 6" wide sheets from northeastern.  Also maybe raise pitch of the roof and throw a few dormers up there.  I do like to muck around with original designs.

I think that particular kit was the absolute highlight of TIMBERLINE product line as I do not remember anything they produced after that.  Maybe did not sell that well.

mike lynch..................HAIRBALL

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Mike,

Although I did mention the word "kit", I did understand they were scratch builds. I just wondered if you had a layout to go with the structures.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

hairball

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 18, 2019, 09:15:30 AM
Mike,

Although I did mention the word "kit", I did understand they were scratch builds. I just wondered if you had a layout to go with the structures.

Tom ;D

TOM.....the original plan was to design and construct a HO layout.  I started acquiring and building FSM kits and making them into dioramas to include in a layout like George does.   Well I liked building the dioramas so much I never built a layout.  I started selling off some of those built dioramas at the largest most famous hobby shop in Toronto.  Gave him 3 to sell and he was calling me in less than 30 days to come get paid and did I have anymore.  Well you kind of know what happened next I got right into it and that continued for a long time until I switched over to On30.  I had constructed 389 HO scale dioramas from various manufacturers.

From there at #390 up to the last one I built #516 in 2012 I worked strictly in O scale.

I have been building street rods since, 1935 Chevrolets to be specific as shown in attaching pictures, 2 completed and one still under construction  All have Chevrolet V8 engines with jaguar front and rear suspensions.

mike lynch.....madmike3434.....HAIRBALL

postalkarl

Hey hairball:

WOW!!!! really great looking cars.

Karl

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

hairball

thanks guys, want to finish the roadster project and use building models as a release and more especially a relaxing time again.

mike lynch...............

postalkarl

Hey Mike:

Always good to hear from you.

Karl

GPdemayo

Beautiful work on the cars Mike..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL