John Allen " Cross junction station" in O scale

Started by hairball, December 14, 2019, 07:09:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hairball

I was approached by a Schenectady NY person named don klose who was building the Bellevue and Schenectady M R R.

He wanted a version of the famous John Allen creation called Cross junction station that would be a 2 level station serving a lower liner and an upper line for his proto 48 setup.  I managed to acquire a 1950's magazine with the plans for it.

As I started to scratch build it certain things made no sense and HO measurements were way off visually making this acceptable...  So I decided to wing it and free style the proportions to my own liking.

That damn roof  !!!!  Well figured will knock it out in a week or less...........LMAO, it took me a solid 2 weeks doing a row at a time and letting the glue dry for hour or two before starting another row.  And on and on.

The real wood shingles were made using BIRCH VENEER cut into 1/2" high strips , then chopped with a wallpaper knife into random widths.  The shingles were covered/coloured using Fiebings leather dye diluted with isopropinal alcohol.  Each shingle was stabbed with a #11 pointed blade, rolled over and using a toothpick apply a slick of Weldbond white glue..  Tops where shingles ended were done with BIS real copper raised seam roofing.

I cut up a TRAINS OF TEXAS hydrocal wall to create the brick wall and used a Tom Yorke casting to create the stone wall...

Probably the most difficult thing to create was that upper deck ticket office.

mike lynch................madmike3434.............HAIRBALL

Bruce Oberleitner

Nice Work.  I love the two level station idea. 

richbeau

On the G&D if I remember correctly the centerline distance between the two tracks was pretty narrow and the height about 3". It was really jammed in there. I was commissioned to build a HO version produced in the early 2000s by Chris Disdero called Clance Hillside Station. Probably hard to find now.

Though different I do like your rendition. And I like your color and light weathering. Definitely carries the John Allen's ideas.
--Rich

hairball

The Chris Discerno version could not have any reference to JOHN ALLEN name because the family had copyrighted it.  The discerno version was a great looking model.

I based my version on the model railroader article.  I cannot remember what any of the MR mag article  measurements were, but I can tell you nothing made sense.   If the distance was 3" that would translate into 24 scale feet in HO scale.   You could not pull that structure off in 24 scale feet high, in my opinion.

It would have to be compressed down and take away the impact.  But anyway was a fun build never to be repeated by me.

mike.............HAIRBALL

mike

Mark Dalrymple

Very neat, although rather odd looking from the top.  I can't imaging decking joining into the ridge line of a roof.

Cheers, Mark.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

hairball

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 14, 2019, 11:57:11 PM
Very neat, although rather odd looking from the top.  I can't imaging decking joining into the ridge line of a roof.

Cheers, Mark.

Not sure what John Allen was thinking , other than he had a higher line of rail ( Devils Gulch & Hellen gone HO3 ) and wanted to be able to join them together and this is what he designed.  John had a lot of WHIMSEY in his model railroad.   His work is still admired today, even tho the railroad is long gone due to fire.

mike lynch

I routed around on the net for a while and could not come up with an original picture of the Cross Junction station, I did manage to find a picture of chris discerno's version of it, see picture.

If anybody has the tribute book of the JOHN ALLEN Gorre & Daphetid and can take a picture out of it and post it here.  The original Model railroader magazine from 1955 era ???? that contained the plans/drawings, not sure where its hiding.

ACL1504

The decking did meet the roof line. Mike's model is correct per the John A. structure in reference to the roof line.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

hairball

THANK YOU.   That was picture I was thinking of.

mike..........HAIRBALL

Mark Dalrymple

I realize its right, and per the plan.  As a kid I designed track plans especially in order to be able to build this station - I have just never seen it from the top before.

Cheers, Mark.

jbvb

The B&M had two 2-level stations I can think of off-hand.  Clinton MA (joint with New Haven) still stands.  The one in New York State where the two tracks toward Mechanicville were grade separated is long gone.
James

hairball

going thru an older CDR I came across the page I used to scratch build the cross junction station

mike