PRR Bellevue Sub Build

Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Good Afternoon,

Thank you very much Mark, Karl, and Tom for your very kind words. It is greatly appreciated.

Today I finished adding plywood and got the end piece leveled correctly. The problem was a combination of the end piece and the piece next to it, but I figured it out finally. After that I decided to start with the TT/RH/engine servicing area. I figured this would be the most difficult portion of the layout.

First I laid out a 27 in track radius around the left end module (I figured 28 in hand drawing) then moved around the installation diagram of the Walthers 130' TT and the 3 stall RH bases until I was comfortable with it, then cut out the hole for the TT pit. I did have to move one frame brace as I thought I would have to.

Next step is to work on the engine servicing facilities and connecting track to the TT. This is where it starts to pay off building the structures ahead of time.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Do I see track coming in the near future.....looking good Curt.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Greg for your kind words. Maybe the 16th of September is possible.

Today I started laying out the Engine Servicing area. I think I like the plan , but I'm letting it percolate in my brain for a bit. The T/O's are #5 PECO Insulfrogs (from previous layout). Going through my box of buildings (all bubble wrapped) I noticed that the diesel servicing platform must of been thrown away (I wasn't happy with my modifications) and the sanding towers were in bad shape. I bit the bullet and ordered the Walthers Sand House (Only using the towers) and a Wathers diesel fueling platform (the light piece of wood are the correct dimensions). They're supposed to be here Monday.

Originally I was planning on doing the layout in steps of all planning, all track laying, all wiring etc. but have decided that will just burn me out. Instead I'll do it in stages thru completed track testing then move on to the next section. I figure the first section will take the longest since it has the TT and RH.
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

It is looking very good my friend. It's obvious you pout a lot into the planning of the new Bellevue Sub.

Great stuff here.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

Looks your ready to make progress.  Looking forward to this.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Jim Donovan

Curt;
I just hopped in to see what was up. Really first class workmanship. That is going to be one really nice layout. It has me thinking about an L on my little layout. We'll see, think I will watch a pro at it first. Great work.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Wow!!! thing are really coming along. Can't wait to see what you do with the turntable & roundhouse.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Tom, Jerry, Jim, and Karl for your very kind words.

Today I finalized the track layout for the engine servicing area (third variation) and laid roadbed around the future facilities. The radius ended up being 27.5 inch. On the inside facing framework I will need to glue some blocks to the existing framing when putting up the fascia to give a little more room.

I still need to sand the roadbed and verify that everything is level. In the past I used latex caulk to hold the cork, but today I used Elmer's. I'll see how it holds tomorrow. I should of laid down cork for the initial 2 turnouts but forgot to. Everything else will be glued to the plywood in this area. That means a trip to Lowes tomorrow for brown paint before gluing track down later this week.

My SIL is coming out next weekend to router out the black rectangle in the photo which will be the ash pit. I plan to fix it up similar to what Tom has done on his layout. 
Curt Webb

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Curt.

I think its a good idea to bounce around a bit from job to job.  Enjoying watching your steady progress.

Cheers, Mark.

PRR Modeler

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your kind words Mark and my thoughts also.

Today I sanded the cork, made sure it was level, added the turnout cork base and sanded the edge down to board level. After a trip to Lowes I painted this section.

Probably no layout time tomorrow since I have a project outside tomorrow.

Curt Webb

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

NKP768

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Tom and Doug for your kind words.

I decided since I have the Walthers Sand house and Diesel servicing kits in hand that I would build them first before laying track in the Engine Servicing Facility (ESF). I finished the 2 sand towers today. I'm not building the buildings since I previously made them out of wood. I should start on the Diesel facility tomorrow. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to leave the base whole or cut it into 3 sections (leaning towards cutting it).

Although the towers don't look like it I sprayed the parts light grey before assembly and the bases are a mix of concrete and aged concrete from Model Master paint. The mixture cuts back on the yellowish coloring of aged concrete. Nothing special about the towers. I'll probably brush some black weathering powder on them later. 
Curt Webb

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

It's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see the turntable and roundhouse.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Karl for following along and your always kind words.

Today I built the diesel fueling facility. The photos seem to wash everything out.  The office is a light brown, the concrete pads were first spray painted light grey then painted over with a mix of MM Concrete and Aged Concrete. Of course there will be a lot of details added later. I just put the track in the picture to show what it will look like and the facility is not in it's correct location. The grated areas were placed on the edges because I liked the way they look and are areas for diesel fuel leakage.
Curt Webb