2020 Challenge Carolina Craftsman Kit #CCK1359 - AD Low & Company

Started by GPdemayo, January 26, 2020, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Quote from: postalkarl on March 10, 2020, 05:35:26 PM
Hey Greg :

it's coming along very nicely. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

Thanks Karl.....will do.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

madharry

Coming along nicely. But what with all the soap boxing what happened to Greg speed. Just kidding, it is nice to see a professional doing a build.
Mike :)

GPdemayo

Groovy included a shed type of addition on the rear of the building. As you can see in the photos of the box cover (see pg. #1), he has the walls covered with tar paper.

This type of construction was usually done for very temporary or short term use, as the sun will leach the oils out of the tar paper and it will leak like a sieve and eventually blow away in a strong breeze. Not the preferred method of building, if the intent is for the space to be used for a longer period.

I didn't have anything in my supply of wood that would match what Jeff used in the kit, so, 1x12 material would have to do. Before gluing, the wood was scraped to give it some grain and metal brushed.

I used the heavy stock paper wall that was included in the kit as a template and glued the wood vertically onto the front and both sides, trimming out for the window and door openings. See below.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-039)

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-046)

I'll get to bracing and gluing it together next time.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Greg,

Looks good so far and should contrast nicely with the main structure walls.  Are you going to do a bracing clinic, too?
Jerry

ACL1504

Greg,

You should have said something yesterday. I have more scale wood than any hobby shop. 8)

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

If you have 'slivers' of stripwood, you could cover the lines between the boards and turn it into board-and-batten siding!

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Thanks Jerry.....I'll leave the bracing clinic to Tom, he is doing one on his Bonney Wrench thread now.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: madharry on March 12, 2020, 06:30:32 AM
Coming along nicely. But what with all the soap boxing what happened to Greg speed. Just kidding, it is nice to see a professional doing a build.
Mike :)

I'm surprised I've done this much Mike.....speediness won't be one the agenda for quite some time. Thanks for looking in.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Hey Tom.....I've got a bunch too, but thought this might be a good choice for an addition. Thanks for the offer.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Thanks for looking in Curt.....see you this afternoon.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: deemery on March 15, 2020, 06:10:14 PM
If you have 'slivers' of stripwood, you could cover the lines between the boards and turn it into board-and-batten siding!

dave

Hi Dave.....I like the look of board and batten siding and have some 1x2's in the wood pile, but thought that it was a bit more work than I wanted to do. I did it on an O scale building a few years ago and that was a bit of bother, but in HO.....oh my.  ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Greg,

I have always thought of the battens as  rough cut 1"x2", or like the ones on my barn that are closer to 3/4" x 1 1/2".  Local sawmills now seem to be supplying 1" x 3" pieces as battens.  Maybe not so tough to add if the wider sizes are used.  Not trying to make you more work, I like the individual boards just fine. 
Jerry

madharry

Greg,
What happened to Gregspeed.......................
Nice so far............
Mike

GPdemayo

Quote from: jerryrbeach on March 17, 2020, 10:48:51 AM

Greg,

I have always thought of the battens as  rough cut 1"x2", or like the ones on my barn that are closer to 3/4" x 1 1/2".  Local sawmills now seem to be supplying 1" x 3" pieces as battens.  Maybe not so tough to add if the wider sizes are used.  Not trying to make you more work, I like the individual boards just fine.

Hey Jerry.....lumber sizes have been standard at less than the stated dimensions for a long time now, mainly because of the loss from the rough cut to the mill cut.

A 1x2 is 3/4"x1-1/2", a 2x4 is 1-1/2"x3-1/2", etc. The lumber mills started taking out for the sawcut over 100 years ago. I did an extensive remodel for an architect in Pompano Beach back in the 70's on a house that was built back in the 1920's. The 2x2 and 2x6 studs actually measured 2"x4" and 2"x6".

A side note.....the lumber was cut from Dade County pine and the owner wanted them salvaged and used in the new addition. The wood had gotten so hard as it aged that you couldn't drive a nail thru it without pre-drilling a hole. After the guys had given it a mornings work, I calculated the time it would require to finish and gave the owner the cost of using his old wood and he said to scrap the stuff and buy new.....he couldn't afford to use the free lumber with the price of the additional labor.  ;D

The jury is still out on the battens, but it is looking like it probably won't happen on this one.  :-\
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL