Minuteman Scale Models EZ kit shed

Started by Zephyrus52246, August 29, 2019, 02:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zephyrus52246

I hadn't built any structures for over 8 months, and thought I have a hankerin' to build an FSM kit, I wanted something fast and simple as a warm up.  This kit from Minuteman fit the bill.  Precut walls/roof/base and even precut window glass and rolled roofing!

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Only needing to pain two pieces stripwood was great.  The stripwood and sides were stained with Hunterline Light Gray.  Sides painted with PollyScale Depot Buff.  The windows/stripwood was sprayed with red oxide primer from Rust Oleum. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The windows and trim were drybrushed with light grey acrylic.  Roof strips applied, walls glued together, roof/window/door placed.  Minimal weathering on the roof (chalks).  Took me less than 24 hours to do.  But...

Zephyrus52246

I made a few mistakes.  I stained the walls before bracing--major warpage!  Bracing straightened it out, but I'd forgotten about the base, which then needed to be cut to fit around the bracing.  After it all was together, I'd forgotten to put in a view block, so the unpainted interior walls were quite visible.  I tore off the base and added some black paper as a view block.  I managed to lose one of the glass windows (I'm sure it will turn up in a week or so), and the door window had a big glue smear on it.  So all the windows were done with gallery glass.  I used transfer tape on the roof to apply the rolled roofing, before noticing the roofing had it's own adhesive.  Oh, and only one minor #11 blade wound.   ::)  I've still got a hankerin' to do an FSM kit, but maybe another small kit first...

Jeff

jerryrbeach

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on August 29, 2019, 02:21:38 PM
I made a few mistakes.  I stained the walls before bracing--major warpage!  Bracing straightened it out, but I'd forgotten about the base, which then needed to be cut to fit around the bracing.  After it all was together, I'd forgotten to put in a view block, so the unpainted interior walls were quite visible.  I tore off the base and added some black paper as a view block.  I managed to lose one of the glass windows (I'm sure it will turn up in a week or so), and the door window had a big glue smear on it.  So all the windows were done with gallery glass.  I used transfer tape on the roof to apply the rolled roofing, before noticing the roofing had it's own adhesive.  Oh, and only one minor #11 blade wound.   ::)  I've still got a hankerin' to do an FSM kit, but maybe another small kit first...

Jeff

Jeff,

That reads exactly like how I model!  Missed a step, made two out of order, forgot something important, etc.  I learned a long time ago, it isn't how many mistakes you make, it is how you recover from them.  Great recovery!  Nice little structure, looking at it no one will ever know you had a single issue in its construction.  Two thumbs way up!
Jerry

deemery

Best to make the 'dumb' mistakes on a small kit first.  I'm not quite sure that adding the bracing before painting would prevent warping, I've seen 1/8" warp along with the walls.  (Probably better to seal with sanding sealer first, then paint.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

It sounds like you got all the warm up mistakes out of the way - the build looks good!  I think it's time to get out one of the yellow boxes. I will be doing the same thing when I get back from the Narrow Gauge Convention. It has been a few months for me, too.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ReadingBob

Neat.  I love little building kits like this.  Either in between the big one's or on the side while building a big one.  It gives me some sense of accomplishment to see something get finished.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

postalkarl

Hey Zeph:

Looks great. You used one of my favorite paint schemes. Love what you did.

Karl

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.  I built another small shed, this one from some company called Railroad Kits.  Never heard of 'em!  ;D  Only two errors here.  I got a small amount of gallery glass on the outside of one of the windows, and forgot that the gallery glass usually disappears when sprayed with Dullcoat.  Anyway, I'm trying to decide which FSM kit to start next.

Jeff

tom.boyd.125

Jeff,
Looks like this project is just what the Doctor ordered...good job !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Jeff,

Looks like a nice job to me. Whatever mistakes you made sure don't show on the models.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com