Brass 2-10-2 loco painting and installation of TCS WOW Sound

Started by ACL1504, February 21, 2020, 06:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

In the next few months I have several brass locos to paint. Some need WOW sound installed and some already have the sound installed.

Full disclosure here, this will not be a fast thread. It will take several months of work in paint prep, etc.

This loco was given to me by a friend. It needs to be stripped, cleaned, tweaked, tested and then all the good stuff can start.

It took a few days to figured out what road name this baby belonged to. Anybody care to try your hand at the indentification?

Here are a few photos of the condition in which it was delivered to me. Here is a hint. It was a 1919 Alco built loco, E-1 Class Santa Fe type 2-10-2.

Continued -

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Tom

This will be fun to watch. I really love the old brass locomotives but this is one aspect of the hobby I have not jumped into.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

tom.boyd.125

Tom,
Duluth, Missabe & Northern RR ???
Had to be a cold weather RR that had one with the house on the tender.....
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on February 21, 2020, 06:56:14 PM
Tom

This will be fun to watch. I really love the old brass locomotives but this is one aspect of the hobby I have not jumped into.

John,

Happy to have you along on this adventure. Not sure how many I'll paint this time but my brass painting days are closing in.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Zephyrus52246

I'll certainly be following, as I have a couple of locos in need of paint and DCC install.  Maybe I could just sneak them into your queue.   ;D

Jeff

ACL1504

Quote from: tom.boyd.125 on February 21, 2020, 08:34:26 PM
Tom,
Duluth, Missabe & Northern RR ???
Had to be a cold weather RR that had one with the house on the tender.....
Tommy

Tommy,

You are correct, well done. The Duluth, Missabe & Northern merged with the Duluth & Iron Range to become the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range, DM&IR RR.

These were the only 2-10-2 locos they had and were a USRA design.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on February 22, 2020, 07:39:30 AM
I'll certainly be following, as I have a couple of locos in need of paint and DCC install.  Maybe I could just sneak them into your queue.   ;D

Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for following along. If I were younger I'd love to help. Over the past 45+ years, per my records, I've painted just over 380 brass locos. My DCC guy has retired so I'll be doing my own installs from now on.  :'( :'(

I've installed DCC and sound in the past but it was nice to pay someone else to do it. That save me lots of time as well.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

jerryrbeach

Tom,

Almost all my locos are plastic, but I'll be following anyway.  I always learn a trick or three from your brass painting threads. Actually, that can be said of all your threads.
Jerry

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

I shall be watching also. I used to custom paint professionally many years ago. I wish I had some of the stuff that I did over the years. Lots and lots of Reading RR stuff. I used to paint for the Hobby shop I work in in Lansdale. Penn Valley Hobby Center. Anyway have fun with it.

Karl

ACL1504

Quote from: jerryrbeach on February 22, 2020, 07:47:24 AM

Tom,

Almost all my locos are plastic, but I'll be following anyway.  I always learn a trick or three from your brass painting threads. Actually, that can be said of all your threads.

Jerry,

Welcome to this thread and for following along. I also have some plastic steamers (MTH) that I weathered and they look like brass. I'm happy when anyone picks up a trick or three from my threads. I also learn from this forum.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on February 22, 2020, 02:44:28 PM
Hey Tom:

I shall be watching also. I used to custom paint professionally many years ago. I wish I had some of the stuff that I did over the years. Lots and lots of Reading RR stuff. I used to paint for the Hobby shop I work in in Lansdale. Penn Valley Hobby Center. Anyway have fun with it.

Karl

Karl,

Welcome and thanks for following along. Painting brass is a dying art although many still do it. Painting a brass loco can bring me about $500-650 per loco. However, for me, my time is worth more than the money. I'm guessing this loco will take me, if done correctly, about 20 hours. That equates to $900.00.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Key Imports imported this model in 1978 and Samhongsa Co. Ltd. was the builder. It retailed for $210.00 in '78. This is a USRA version. What I like about it are the air tanks on top of the boiler and the Elesco Feedwater heater on the top of the smoke box.

Before I spend a lot of time on painting, I'll install TCS WOW Sound to determine how it sounds and runs on my layout. I have two other brass 2-10-2 locos on the layout. One runs flawlessly and the other not so much. The one that has issues is a cheap brass model imported by NJ International and built by Daiyoung Models. That alone is 75% of the problem with that one loco.

Anyway, I'll start the thread by prepping the loco for sound and also show the DCC sound installation.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com