Builders in Scale G. W. Nichols Wood - build challenge

Started by Oldguy, December 31, 2019, 10:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Dalrymple

I like the positioning of the office building, Bob.  It should like very neat when finished.  Are you going to pile under the main part of the office or build the scenery up?

Cheers, Mark.

Oldguy

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 24, 2020, 01:22:51 PM
I like the positioning of the office building, Bob.  It should like very neat when finished.  Are you going to pile under the main part of the office or build the scenery up?

Cheers, Mark.
The main office section will rest on the "dirt".
The kit plans had the annex overhang a ditch.  At first, I wasn't going to do it, but gave in realizing that I need to get away from my "Kansasitis" (meaning the love of flat or nearly flat land).
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ACL1504

Bob,

Just getting caught up again on this wonderful build. You are doing a great job, keep it going my friend.

Tom  ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Thanks Tom.

So, I was bouncing around from one little project to another.  I added some darker brown paint to low areas, just to see that when I added the gravel, if it would show up.  Nope.  Don't know why I thought it would.  I have since added more gravel in the upper bare area where the work shed goes and more dirt in the ditch.

The while that was drying, it was on to the chain link fence.  I found that the width of my small scale ruler was 5'6", close enough for my 6' fence.  On the two longer sections, it was a matter of using Canopy glue on one panel and let it set a bit,  Then one can add additional glue along the remainder and pull the fabric over it all.  I put some wax paper over it and added a weight.  And, what do you, instant fence.  In the last fence photo, the left most panel is not attached to the rest of the unit.  This panel will be rotated 90 degrees and then then tubing will be affixed.  This allows the fence material to wrap around the corner.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

While digging around my scenery supplies, I found some old ground foam.  $2.98 a bag and Woodland Scenics located in Shawnee Mission Kansas.  (fun fact - there is no city of Shawnee Mission)  This reminds me that I need to stock up since I'll be doing some scenery.  There is a train store, not a hobby shop but a train store, about 17 miles from my house that carries Woodland Scenics products.  And he doesn't charge full retail.  (Sad fact - Woodland Scenics does not have a outlet store.  They are three miles down the road from the train store)

I decided to rename this facility after the real lumber company where this will be located.  I did use the kit's sign as an inspiration.  I found some scrap wood for the two sided sign and followed the kits construction suggestions.  Basically frame the sign fronts with 2x4s and then surround with 2x10s.   Plus a bit of weathering and done.  This gets mounted on the wood storage bin roof.  It will be a challenge for sure.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

MAP

Been following along on your build.  It's really coming out great!
Mark

Oldguy

Two mystery castings became evident as to their location.  It is a siding gate mechanism and a gate wheel cast as one piece.  So it was just a matter of cutting the wheel off and trimming it a bit.  The placement of the sliding mechanism was a bit more problematic.  Each was to be place on the fencing next to each gate.  Okay,  But how to attach the sliding gate?   I went a different way and attached each to it's respective gate.  Under the mechanism are two nubs that span the gate perfectly.  This will allow for the gate to be in the open position a lot easier.  A little ACC and rest overnight should do it.

Then it was time to finish the flat car bridge.  I got some brass rod cut and bent into position, then painted and weathered a bit.  The stakes on this Athearn blue box were metal and fit in the pockets one way.  Hadn't seen that before.

Then on to the company sign.  There is a template for making the brackets.  I made two; one for each end and they didn't work at all.  So I drilled out some tight holes and glued in the vertical posts.  Tomorrow, I can add some additional supports.  It doesn't look like it, but the sign ends are with in 1 mm of each other of being level.
I am slowly getting to the point where some of these buildings can finally be planted.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

This has come together very nicely, Bob. I'm eager to see it placed in the scenery you have been working on.
--Opa George

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

I finally am to the point where I can start planting buildings.  I had marked their positions, needing that information to build out the fencing.  The dock and workshop had very little areas for glue, so I added a bunch of glue on the backside of the dock and then hid a lot of it with foliage.
The it was a matter of adding the wood fencing along the track side.  Note - this facility is track side, but not track accessible.

With the lumber storage shed planted, I can now work on the stairs going to the second level, adding handrails and stuff.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Now that the storage bin is planted, I can finish and add the stair set.  They have a handrail on only the outside of each set.  Considering the issues that I had with the one set, I left it well enough alone.

Then it was on adding the chain link fence.  Well parts of it.  I realized that I need to add some foliage around the office and it would be better without that gate section.  Because of the limited length of the fabric, I added a 4' gate to the chain link fence.  It was easier to make that then trying to patch the tulle into one piece.

So while the fencing was drying, I decided to work on some vehicle bumper stops for the parking area on the right side of the ditch.  I did have a box of useed code 55 narrow gauge switch kits that no one around here wanted.  So, I cut them up to be planted to keep the little drivers from driving onto the railroad tracks or into the ditch.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Put the final touches on this build.  Slowly learning the ins and outs of ground foam.
Put a bunch of the kit castings in pace and then slid the whole shebang into place on the layout.  Eventually, I'll need to build up the surrounding area.

Anyway, on to the next adventure.  This go around I'll be doing two kits at once as I'll be stove up in April and May from getting a new knee.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Zephyrus52246